Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 35 ford vs. 41 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46poncho, Aug 12, 2020.

1. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

I know this is a loaded question but I am going to ask. I have a 35 Ford 5 window coupe, it needs a lot of work, no floors, no engine, no trans, basically a steel body on a frame, when I got it, it had a newer suspension already installed. I have the opportunity to trade for a 41 plymouth coupe that is basically the same but with floor pans installed. I have a hemi and 4 speed for my project. Both have good titles and bodies are good. Plymouth is on original suspension. What would you choose and why???

Sent from my SM-S367VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. The 35 Ford 5 window. Unless you are a diehard Mopar fan, I don't think why is necessary.

3. dwollam

dwollam

I like both. The '41 Plymouth is a real good looker! That doesn't help tho does it?

Dave

RAK and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'd do the Mopar without a second thought.

The 41 Plymouth has an independent front suspension that was years ahead of the competition. With a few refinements, they work in today's traffic. Install the Hemi with the 4 speed, upgrade the rear end, and your much closer to driving then you would be with the Ford. Gene

HSF, leadfoot1000, das858 and 3 others like this.

5. If the Plymouth isn't complete, you'll work harder finding parts...

chopped and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. low down A

low down A

the ford makes the better lookin hot rod but that 41 plymouth with the right chop, lowered and skirted in the rear there isn't a better lookin custom

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Dare to be different! Why follow the crowd? The Plymouth.

Ben

8. Ford will always be worth more

But from the sounds of it the Plymouth will be in the road easier

easy is good

depends on what you like

irishsteve likes this.
  9. exterminator

exterminator

10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

If I had the Plymouth I'd trade for the Ford too

11. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What do you want, a hot rod or a custom?

12. junkman8888

junkman8888

All the responses so far have had their point, but they've missed an important question: If you're going to build the car yourself, do you have the time/talent/tools to get the job done? My point being, if putting floors in a car is a deal-breaker for you, then you're going to need all the help you can get when it comes to motor/transmission mounts, suspension components and steering. There is far more parts and information available for building a Ford than for the Plymouth, and if you decide you're in too deep, the Ford is easier to sell. Best of luck on your project.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  13. oldsman41

oldsman41

14. Skrambler

Skrambler
    from Arizona

If you decide to go Plymouth, I have been dealing with specifically 1941 Plymouth Body Parts for over 30 years...Huge collection of items.

rockable and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Hemi, 4 spd, Ford...sounds like a plan to me.

And as a side plan that you didn't ask about...check HAMB classifieds and swap meets for '36 front sheet metal.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. low down A

low down A

i disagree sheet metal and iron doesn't know whether it's stamped into the shape of a plymouth or a ford the mechanic's of building a car or exactly the same regardless of brand

VANDENPLAS and chopped like this.
  17. Ford would be the way I would go, I honestly think the Ford has a nicer looking body and I'm a Ford guy.

The metal work it needs is not that complicated. HRP

18. George

George

The Ford is going to have far better value if you get tired of it & decide to sell. There's a bunch of Threads on upgrading the front end of the Plyms. The OEM front works well if installing a S/B Mopar. I've been told by a guy with a 392 in a '48 Plym he had to recess the firewall 7 inches. My '48 had a Cutlass clip & the 331 fit in nicely, as does a 354 in a buddy's '41. You didn't say what Hemi you have. A Dodge would be easier to fit in the OEM frame than a Chr., depending on sump location.

19. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I have a mopar and love it, aftermarket parts for them are hard to find.
    Everything is either a challenge or 2 times more costly or just not available.
    Gauges, brakes, gearing, sheet metal replacement panels. speed parts.
    You already know this with the Hemi, and as others said above, the Ford would probably be worth more and sell easier then the mopar.

20. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Love the looks of both cars, but being ya have a Mopar driveline... Mopar in a Mopar!:D

21. 73RR

73RR

Something not mentioned is how big of guy are you? It has been while since I sat in a 35 Ford but IIRC, it is on the small side. I do think that Ply has more cabin space.
    Which Hemi engine?

Hnstray likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

1935 Ford five window, no need to say or type more. Bob

23. The Plymouth unless you like the idea of having a more common car.

24. adam401

adam401

I'm a dyed in the wool Ford man so id definitely build the 35. When talking early cars a Ford usually brings good resale as well.
    If your flipping back and forth between the 2 your probably not head over heels about either car which brings us to the real thing. What car do you LOVE? Not out of those 2, but out of all cars. Build that one. Sell your shit if you have to. Save up if you have to, but build that one. Lifes too short to settle for the wrong car. And building one takes a long fucking time.

25. Budget36

Budget36

So all you need is a floor for your '35? Can you do the work yourself? I mean it's not like you have to buy a 2K fit-to-suit floor pan, sheet metal and some forward thinking will get it done. Now if you cannot do a floor pan, are you abe to go through the suspension in the '41?

I'm not looking at resale value up the road, but if I just needed to fix a floor in a car I have that has a new suspesion, I'd rather to that than get up under a 80 year old car and rebuild it.

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'd go Plymouth and this is why... newer front suspension, no cross breeding of body and engine, and though I love Fords, it has a way better looking grille. The '35 Ford grille has got to be one of their ugliest! The front end of the car looks like someone sliced it off a little too short...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    leadfoot1000 likes this.
  27. das858

das858

Plymouth all day long ! '35 Fords are kind of an orphan, not as nice as a '34 or a '36 .

Fortunateson likes this.
  28. j hansen

j hansen

29. 73RR

73RR

...does Mr Hansen have a favorite ? ...;)

j hansen likes this.
  30. oldsman41

oldsman41

Don’t get me wrong love the looks of the Plymouth hell my avatar is a 41 olds. I just think if you ever have to sell the ford will probably sell faster