Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first crack at a traditional hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Logan LeMaster, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Ok guys like the title said, this is my first shot at building a traditional hot rod. I bought this car in pieces a few years ago. My first thought was to run a small block ford and slam it on the ground. I went as far as purchasing the power plant and rear axle. I kept looking around and my taste buds started to change, it didn’t take long for me to figure out that I really wanted a traditional hot rod! With that being said, I really don’t know anything, and this will be a learning experience every step of the way. I’ve gathered a few parts to get started. Last year I made it to Hershey in the fall and picked up some 42-48 spindles and backing plates. I’m still missing the drum/hubs and dust shields. I have a set of 35’ wires I want to run. I picked up two rear axles a 35’ and what I believe is a 47’. I plan to swap the backing plates from the 47’over to the 35’ and convert it to spring over. Can I use the 35’ drums on the 47’ backing plates? Also should I be looking for a set of 35 drums for the front as well?. As far as other parts I’ve got a 39’ trans that will need some attention and a 8ba block and parts. I’m not sure if the blocks going to be usable or not, but I got a line on a complete 8ba as well. Right now I’m trying to get the rear ended assembled and hung under the car. Waiting on my fancy hub puller to show up any time. I’m sure I’m going to have a ton of questions and I appreciate any feed back or advice anyone has to offer![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Outback, LOU WELLS, slim38 and 18 others like this.
  2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks like you're off to a great start to a great hot rod!

Logan LeMaster likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

I like your new, revised plan.

craig b blue and Logan LeMaster like this.

5. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Thank you!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Thanks! I want to be one of the cool kids with the old stuff! Lol

8. 1935 had mechanical brakes. Man, I envy the space you have!

9. Thank you! That’s about half the shop, but it’s a constant struggle to keep stuff out of it. lol I’m swapping the 47’ hydros on to the 35’ axle.

10. This is why I said that.^

11. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. I understand 35’s are mechanical I’m asking if the 35’ drums are compatible with my later hydraulic backing plates?

chryslerfan55 and 56don like this.
  13. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Yes the 35 drums will work on with those backing plates on the rear only. You will have to get 42-48 hubs and drums for the front

chryslerfan55 and Logan LeMaster like this.
  14. Ok thanks! Forgive me but I’m just learning what keeps the fronts from working as well?

15. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

1935 spindles had a longer snout. Used different bearings. If you run the later spindles you have to run the later brakes (42-48)

16. Thank you, I guess I will run the later drums all the way around and use the spacers for my 35’ wheels.

chryslerfan55 and Atwater Mike like this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

St. Francisville, MO, huh? I had to look that one up as I had never heard of that one.

Nice project, by the way.

18. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I also used a 35 rear end on my av8. I used later brakes and spacers for my wires. I also built a quickchange center. Check out my build thread

chryslerfan55 and Logan LeMaster like this.
  19. Good luck finding it! Lol

chryslerfan55 and lonejacklarry like this.
  20. I absolutely will!

21. Great build thread! I got some reading to do tonight!!!! Thanks!

chryslerfan55 and lodaddyo like this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

You can run later brakes on early spindles. You just need to sleeve the spindle.

ironfly28, Okie Pete, Tim and 2 others like this.
  23. Give Old Yankee Speed Co a call, they can hook you up with all the stuff you need to get that Banjo into a spring over set up. They make great parts and are really cool guys to boot. Heck @100% Matt that runs it is right here on the HAMB.

24. I was looking at there spring mounts, I could cut up my stock a axle but I think I got a guy that wants it and could use it so I’d like to see someone use it.

ironfly28 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Awesome build.
    Thanks for sharing!

26. Well this just showed up today! I can’t wait to give this a go! I’m a Tool Maker by trade and this seems to be a well built tool for sure! IMG_4910.JPG IMG_4911.JPG

brEad, Hnstray, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  27. They have brackets for the 35 rear as well. That’s the one you want to use anyway. Way better than the A Banjo.

28. This puller was well worth the money!!! Please excuse the mess!!lol IMG_4917.JPG IMG_4918.JPG

29. Got a little farther last night, need to order some spring hanger brackets. IMG_4930.JPG IMG_4934.JPG