Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC distributor - stuck in block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bantam, Aug 13, 2020.

1. bantam

bantam

A couple of weeks ago the sbc in my 1932 RPU started ran for a few seconds and died like normal because it was the first start in about a week or two. On the second attempt it would only crank.

- Checked for spark. No spark
    - Checked for pulsing current on negative side of distributor. Only getting a solid 12 volts. No pulse.
    - Figured ignition module in distributor died. Replaced module. No change.
    - Ordered new distributor.
    - Went to pull old distributor and replace it, but it will pull up about an inch, and then stuck solid as can be. Can lower it back down in the hole no problem.
    - Hand crank over engine a 1/2 a revolution. See that rotor is turning with distributor.
    - Try to pull out distributor again. Same problem. Cannot pull the dog gone thing out of the block Will pull up about an 1" and then will not go any further.

This engine only has 2500 miles on it. So not full of sludge.

Is there anything that would cause me to both lose spark and also not be able to pull the distributor?

Are these two unrelated issues?

Ideas on next steps?

thanks - Bantam

2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Will the distributor pull far enough to disengage the cam/ distributor gear? The only thing I can think of would be the cross pin that holds the distributor gear to the shaft has come partially out and won't let it pass. I'm not sure that is even possible, but I've never seen one that would come loose then stick. If the gear is spinning on the shaft, that would cause it to lose spark.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, shit!.... :(
    I'm sure someone will come up with an idea to get that thing out.....;)

4. You’ve got a F O R D
    Force only removes distributors :D:p
    Sorry

5. Budget36

Budget36

Oh yes it will:)

I'd suggest modding up a slide hammer. Distributor might become the sacrificial lamb.

AccurateMike and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never seen a drive gear pin come loose on one but there is a first time for everything.
    You did completely remove the retainer and not just loosen the bolt several turns and slide it back?

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Probably the O ring has swelled up and has too much resistance to pull it out by hand. Gonna have to pry with a bar or something.

studebaker46 likes this.
  8. sdluck

sdluck

How did it run before,

9. lake_harley

lake_harley

IF it is the roll pin, which seems rather unlikely, try hand turning the engine which will also turn the distributor shaft. Try pulling it up in different positions. Maybe turn the rotor 45 degrees between stops and attempts. If the pin is sticking out and perhaps hanging on the cam gear there might be a position it will clear.

Lynn

Truckdoctor Andy and X-cpe like this.
  10. What O ring?
    2CA84F4A-D58C-442A-9C7B-CB31CFB0E896.jpeg

11. Try loosening up the intake, or unbolting it completely. It will come out with ease then.

pitman and ClayMart like this.
  12. bantam

bantam

Ok guys - took the advice provided:

- Turned the engine by hand another 45 degrees
    - Put a pry bar under the distributor mounting base and pried upward. With more force than I really wanted to put on it, the thing popped loose.
    - No noticeable wear or damage to distributor gear. Pin still nice and tight.

- Next problem, spent an hour trying to stab the new distributor in. Cannot get to go the last 1/4-1/2". Normally that is due to misalignment with the oil pump drive. However, regardless of what I did to align, including the method of putting downward pressure on the distributor while turning the engine over by hand, I could not get the distributor to seat.

Spent an hour trying.

Got frustrated.

Shut off the lights.

Hobbies should be fun. Hobbies should be fun. Hobbies should be fun. Had to repeat that to myself a few times.

Will try again this evening or this weekend.

Thanks for the input.

Bantam

catdad49 and wheeldog57 like this.
  13. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like something is off. What intake manifold is on the engine?

14. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Deep breaths bro. You can beat this, good luck and keep us posted

15. Do you think it’s not engaging with the oil pump drive?
    Or is it hanging up before it reaches it?

16. Kind a hard to say because it was going up and down an inch with the old distributor (shaft fine) now it goes in except for the last quarter inch.

Is there any witness marks from some sing making it hang up on the old distributor

17. bantam

bantam

When I get home I am going to measure the distance between the top of the intake and the top of the oil pump drive. Then mark that stance out on the distributor shaft and see if I am relative to that line and the top of the intake when I try to re-stab the distributor.

I did verify that both the old and new distributor are the exact same length. They are.

Running an older Edelbrock tri-power intake. The one with the breather tube on the front. Can't remember exact model.

18. loosen up the intake. that is what is causing all you problems. When you put an intake onto a small block you should always set the intake on, start all the bolts in the holes and then put the distributor in, making sure it goes in an out with ease, and nothing binding up on it. Your intake is shifted a little front or rear not letting you get it all the way with ease.

19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Get a different hobby Get a different hobby Get a different hobby .......

20. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Nailhead Jason may be right on this....I know all your current aftermarket intakes have a bigger than stock distributor hole in them, probably for that reason since the distributor doesn't need some tight tolerance alingment at the top end...that double-banded section at the botton controls all the locating needs....the intake hole and anchor point just keep it from wobbling around and turning, altering the timing setting.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    catdad49, Truckdoctor Andy and jaw22w like this.
  21. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Recently had the same problem trying to stab a new Holley Dist. into a 305, would not drop down the last inch or so no matter how much force applied. Pulled out and I could clearly see the scrape marks on the aluminum lower part of shaft. I knew it would'nt take much to clearance it so I used strips of crocus cloth to sand it down a bit, lubed it up and it dropped in. You may have the same problem but clearencing it might be hard to to if it;s stock cast. Ralphie

22. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The scrape on the lower shaft is most likely caused by misalignment up at the intake. You want a good fit at the bottom for oiling, and oil pump / spark scatter. I would not be grinding on the lower distributor shaft. Fix the real issue.

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Brain fart. I was thinking it had a o ring for some reason.

24. Saw one of those very low cost aluminum intake several years back. The distributor hole was not drilled exactly inline as it should have been.

25. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

you have the same problem for both issues-oil pump shaft stuck in the bottom of the distributor-when you trying to pull it up ,the shaft was pulling off the pump instead and the guide sleeve[probably steel and pinned to the shaft ]would let it come up about 1/2 inch till it hit the main cap.you used enough force to get the shaft to finally pull out of the distributor and now the damaged shaft [or/and] distributor won't slide together easily.get the flashlight out and check to of shaft and bottom of distributor

26. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

P.S. this usually happens when something momentarily stops the oil pump-metal,trash etc

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You got it out. But next time that happens if ever. Spray WD-40 or equal product onto distributor housing below the retainer collar and down into engine block. Then with a twisting motion pull up.

28. bantam

bantam

Thanks for the input on the intake. I tried once more tonight to get the distributor in. 30 minutes.....no luck. Going to pull the intake and reset it after checking for distributor fit and also pulling the oil pan to check out the oil pump and shaft.

Since I am doing all of that I decided to do a cam swap. Never been happy with the cam I chose. For too high of an RPM range relative to the tire size, gearing and converter that's in it. Going to tone it down and get more low-end power.

As I need to talk to Lunati or some other cam manufacturer on Monday, place the order, wait for the cam to come it will be a while before I report back on the issue that was hosing me up in the first place with the distributor.

Thanks for all of your help.

Bantam

pitman, catdad49, chopped and 2 others like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

While you have the pan off, unbolt the oil pump cover and check for scoring.

alanp561 likes this.
  30. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sure the "new" distributor is't for a 348/409 W-block engine? Clean and lube the hole in the intake manifold and block; might be varnished up and the reason the "old" distributor was stuck. If you first don't succeed, try, try a,d try again. It'll drop in when you least expect it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.