Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

The cab came from an AA truck, are the cab mounting holes in the same place as an A frame? Bob

loudbang likes this.
  2. I thought they were. Charlie put a hood side up against the cowl and the hood hold down hooks fell in between the hold down holes in the frame. the cab is right, the motor is just set tilted back a little. not a big problem.

3. went over to check out the fit this morning. firewall at the bottom doesn't need a very big recess.i think the motor is fine where it is. I had Charlie sit in it with the seat in place to get some idea how the gas pedal linkage will work. he still needs to make a toe board for a proper mockup. I did some more tweaking and have a "fit". IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0640.JPG

brEad, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. Charlie had an extra firewall and I decided to take it home to finish the cover for the firewall hole. we needed to make the lower section flatter to allow the gas pedal more room. I marked out the hole for reference. IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG

brEad, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. instead of modifying the piece again I decided to start fresh, with a different look. I rolled a piece of 18 gage and bent the edges at the proper width. IMG_0643.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

6. I checked the fit to the firewall and the upper flange needed to be re-bent to follow the bend in the firewall. I did this with a hammer off the edge of the table
    IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0646.JPG

7. I then marked and cut out for the abbreviated recess. IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG

Stogy, TFoch, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  8. I bent a flange and marked and cut out to close off the top. and then bent and trimmed a piece for the face side IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG

9. I had made one of the flanges long so that after I weld it together I can contour and bend it down to close off the gap along the side. IMG_0651.JPG

10. tack welded the piece to the firewall so it wouldn't move and welded the three pieces together. i cut a relief in the long flange and contoured it to fit the firewall. IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0658.JPG

anthony myrick, TFoch, brEad and 5 others like this.
  11. this panel gives us about an inch of recess.
    once all the flanges fit flush against the firewall I welded it up and did the finish grinding. IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG IMG_0661.JPG

12. I also added a flange to the lower section to seal off the floor..
    it fit this firewall perfect so I went to the slackers to see how it fit. all good. IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG

anthony myrick, TFoch, brEad and 6 others like this.
  13. next step is to shorten this gas pedal bracket and find a "Southwind" emblem for it.:)
    IMG_0664.JPG

anthony myrick, TFoch, brEad and 6 others like this.
  14. patsurf

patsurf

well,just go get "noah" or 'gui'--these two guys just MAKE their own custom emblems!!...

loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

16. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

That's quite the project. Thanks to all your pictures I can get an idea of what I need to do to make mine solid again. My '30 wasn't crushed but it sure has its share of rot and missing wood.

Stogy, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. thanks Chris, It has a little "street rod" look to me. but most of it won't be seen.

loudbang and nunattax like this.
  18. I find replicating the wood challenging, in a good way, and for this hot rod I did not need it to be factory exact. wood can be shaped with something as simple as a pocket knife, but when it comes to old cars it seams to intimidate most guys. Why?
    I made this step stool when I was 8 years old in 4H, using simple hand tools and scrap wood. ;) IMG_0667.JPG still works

Stogy, TFoch, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

you r halfway there ,replacing the wood is the easy bit

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Years ago when I made the switch from high end auto body restoration work, to carpentry /home repair work I was amazed at the impression it made on customers. Install crown molding in a livingroom and you were treated as some type of god, vs a Ferrari paint job with a gnats eyelash in the left rocker panel.

Bob

Jet96, Stogy, brEad and 6 others like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well thanks to a couple previous posts. It seems to me that a well positioned or modified heater can hide the “dimple” piece completely. Especially if the piece became the back panel of a heater and they bolted together.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd, nunattax and loudbang like this.
  22. I think between the gas pedal and the "tunnel" piece from the old gas tank it won't show much.

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  23. steering wheel ready for paint. the slacker is going to paint it brown to match the upholstery. IMG_0672.JPG

Stogy, brEad, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  24. the slacker fit the steering box and tacked the flange in place. I welded it up for him tonight. IMG_0686.JPG IMG_0687.JPG

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

loudbang likes this.
  26. yes. I am not sure if I should weld them?

loudbang likes this.
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i dont think i would weld them.it would be ideal if the heads cant turn,it would make assembly easier.id loctite the nuts or use locknuts .

tb33anda3rd and loudbang like this.
  28. yep Charlie said I did it right. he plans on lock nuts or washers. this was another big hurtle for him to get over. I plan to stop tomorrow and photo some of his work.