Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Does anyone else out there end up with a boatload of nuisance injuries while working on a project or is it just me. I have been working on a project that includes a large framework of square tubing covered with an extensive wood shell. After 3 weeks of work I have several utility knife cuts, innumerable welding slag burns, lots of infected wood splinters, a 1" burn on my forearm from leaning on hot metal, ground off the tip of my thumb with the grinder, embedded a Phillips screwdriver tip in my pointer finger palm joint. I halfway joke to my wife, "If I haven't been bleeding or on fire some time during the day it was a bad day in my shop!"

cktasto, bchctybob, Rickybop and 16 others like this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

And I thought I was the only one! Seems like every time I go to do something lately, there has been some blood shed involved. My once leathery skin now skins and tears away at any bump on a solid object, most times I don’t even feel or notice it until I’m bloody like being in a bad bar fight. I wear gloves when I can, but there’s just some things I can’t do in gloves. My poor hands are scared up something pitiful. This getting old ain’t for sissies, lol!

cktasto, bchctybob, LAROKE and 8 others like this.
  3. Yep. Finished work this afternoon and bumped my arm on something going to the house and wife asked, "why is there blood running down your arm?" @ 71, seems anything that bumps my thin skin results in a blood letting,

cktasto, 61Cruiser, The37Kid and 8 others like this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Unfortunately, as we age, it takes longer to heal.

LAROKE, loudbang, Hnstray and 2 others like this.

5. I know ever since I started loosing hair on my head I've developed a cranial magnetism for hard and often sharp objects.

6. It's a constant..I've yet to figure out how to accomplish working in the shop without cuts, scrapes, burns, etc., it's not limited to just cars either, same thing happens when doing house renovations.
    It hasn't stopped me, or for me to even consider stopping, it's just one of those annoying things that happen, that comes with the territory.
    No pain..no gain.

7. williebill

williebill

Yep, only now those ugly black bruises just pop up out of nowhere. When I was younger, shit that looked like that was always accompanied with severe pain, now they just show up like magic. Younger days did include several trips to the emergency room, ALL garage related. Crushed finger ( that sucked for weeks!), numerous gashes on rusty stuff that required stitches, blood infection due to wedding ring being melted onto my ring finger by molten welding slag, and the usual 'Get this shit out of my eye, please" trips.
    BTW, gold is an excellent heat, fire, destruction conductor. It's a damn wonder my hands still work at all.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Most of my injuries are on my left hand....because I'm holding the sharp tool in my right hand

9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

If your hands have no scars all you do is write checks.

10. My wife and kids stoped asking where all my cuts and scrapes on a daily basis come from.

my wife thinks I’m an idiot, my kids think I’m super man. Maybe that makes me a super idiot ??

I dunno I get hurt a lot ! Lol
    8A6DF075-F2D6-4DF6-97C5-80D7287EDBC3.gif

11. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Do I hurt myself or cause bloodletting ?...o_O
    I have a first aid kit next to the bench.:D

You know you're a hazard when you have used a shop towel and duct tape.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you cannot truly call a car yours until it draws blood.:)

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if not for working on old cars I would never have discovered that if you have electrical tape and some paper towels you never have to get stitches again.

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hahaha The holy grail. I just bump stuff and I bleed. Thin skin. Gotta be real careful. I wouldn't win a beauty contest for sure. I try to keep my system full of Bourbon to keep the covid away. Seems to work. My wife says you seem to spend a lot at the licquer (sp) store? I say well, he's a friend of mine so..........:D

15. Chicks dig scars.... 34meandjanet6_15.jpg

48fordnut, bchctybob, Jrs50 and 16 others like this.
  16. birdman1

birdman1

I always see blood on my arm or hands and have no idea how it got there!

X-cpe, loudbang, Hnstray and 5 others like this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I can't almost go out into the shop/garage without bumping into something. I have bruises I have no idea where they came from. Time to take up knitting? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

48fordnut, X-cpe, cktasto and 8 others like this.
  18. Dipping a cut in gasoline cauterizes it pretty well too.

19. I'm a leftie so my right hand is my target of choice.

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Nitro or lacquer thinner and masking tape fixes it right up. Lippy

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Every time my wife has a honey-do for me I say "do you want me to hurt myself".

Driver50x, clem, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

My blood coagulates quick. My skin is the problem.

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Do you light it???

clem, 427 sleeper, alanp561 and 10 others like this.
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Started wearing mechanic's gloves for all but small work that required me to feel things better. Been years since I had all those cuts, scrapes, etc. Not that I don't occasionally grind through a glove with my angle grinder, or get a hot weld chip down in a glove. But the days of lots of them are long gone.

48fordnut, clem, cktasto and 8 others like this.
  25. slack

slack

If you're not mutilating yourself, you're not doing anything. :rolleyes:

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Haha Slack seems that way!! LOL.

27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The root word "car " is hidden inside of the word " scar ". They are inseparable!

slack, OLSKOOL57, 49ratfink and 9 others like this.
  28. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Gee, I thought it was me.
    109FE1FF-9138-4141-ABF4-A511508BFAA9.jpeg

29. lake_harley

lake_harley

Go on blood thinner and then you'll have something to complain about. Sometime it seems the pores of my thinning 67 YO skin start oozing without any apparent injury. Bruises are standard equipment.

Lynn

30. jaracer

jaracer

I also started doing that about 10 years ago. My hands end up much cleaner and aren't as beat up as they used to be.