Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts for brakes on old UHaul car trailer?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by dirty old man, May 20, 2012.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hope this isn't too OT, but Hell, everybody needs a car hauler trailer at times. So I don't think that it's all that OT!
    Found a fair buy on an old ex-Uhaul car trailer, only problem is that the thing has sat outside in the weather for years and rain has gotten thru the vent on the master cylinder for the surge brakes and the master cylinder is full of water. I'm thinking new master cylinder and wheel cylinders at a minimum.
    Anybody got any ideas on where to look for parts for one of these old trailers???????
    Dave

2. basicbob

basicbob

Deve, look for "Redneck Trailer Supply". They are around the country so their website will give you the closest to you. If you have trouble call "Springfield Brake" in Springfield Missouri.

Good luck, Bob

3. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

You're better off ripping all that stuff out and just go full electric brakes. When i did my trailer, it was around $250 an axle. Thats for drums, backing plates, and bearings.

4. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

kidcampbell71 and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. bulltown_boy

bulltown_boy

I would keep the surge brakes. U-haul used them for a reason. They work well and the tow vehicle does not need any special equipment.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. U Haul has an ebay store ...

They have been selling new ' old stock ' parts for their trucks and trailers
    to clear out inventory for a while now

Jim

7. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

My Dad has an old car trailer with surge brakes. The master cylinder is the same as an early sixties Ford single cylinder.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm with Johnny B. Electric brakes are better and safer. The only reason they used surge brakes was because it simplified the rentals, the renters did not have brake controllers.

New axles with brakes and bearings are also a better buy and easier than fixing the old shit.

You should be able to find them cheaper than $250 an axle too.

kidcampbell71 and Tman like this.
  9. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Change it to electric!
    U-haul doesn't use surge brakes because they are a better choice, they use them because they work on any rig.

Try backing down a steep gravel drive with those surge brakes. You don't have the "surge" going in the right direction to activate the brakes and the trailer will drag you.

10. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Bad situation also, with the surge brakes, trying to BACK one up a hill. DD

X-cpe and Tman like this.
  11. 04boostnv

04boostnv

I know this is old. Although I also have a u haul trailer. Where can I find electric brakes that fit with out being modified?? Thank you

12. 54vicky

54vicky

no need to modify simply change the backing plates they usually come with magnets shoes etc. then run wires.they come in 10 or 12 inch

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it was mine I would look into buying new axles complete with springs, brakes, and all. You can specify any width, spring length, number of leaves you need. Last time I looked complete axle assembly was about $250, brakes only about $100. Both are common trailer supply items.

14. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Dave,,, which ever way you go if you are still looking: atlanta brake and clutch
    in doraville, just off I-85 north.

15. I was under the impression that U-Haul did not sell their trailers, only their trucks. I was told many years ago that they actually cut the trailers up for scrap to avoid liability issues. You learn something new every day!

scotty t, kidcampbell71 and warbird1 like this.
  16. Yeah, that was their policy the last time I looked it up...

17. etrailer.com

They sell complete backing plates kits. Surge is fine as long as you don’t let it sit for long periods, just like a car. Really think how your going to use it, you might be better off with electric.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for electric brakes. Just make sure you get a good brake controller. I had good luck with Tekonsha controllers. Easy install and straight forward adjustments. That is unless you have a newer truck with a built in controller from the factory. JMO.

Truckdoctor Andy and Hnstray like this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys must get trailer brakes and axles a lot cheaper than I can find them.

My boat trailer has surge brakes and I wouldn't have it any other way. That rig with the 25 ft cruiser on it stops great and there is a pin to put in to keep the brakes from grabbing when you back up.

There are a lot of surge brake parts on the net if you hunt a bit.

I want to swap the home made (use Dodge spindles and brakes) axles that came with my trailer for 3500 lb axles with electric brakes and I am looking at just short of 800 bucks to do it.
    I think the trailer was probably a high school ag shop project here in the valley back in the 90's as I remember seeing the jig to set up axles in one of the High school AG shops I visited at one time.
    Trailer tows great and tows straight but no working brakes and I am afraid of the usable weight limit on it.

20. jaracer

jaracer

21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Bought a “used” Uhaul trailer years ago. You could see the faint logo under the fresher paint. First time a Uhaul “detective” saw it they repossessed it. Said that they never sell trailers. When I went back to the sellers they said it was their son’s but gave me my money back thank goodness.

23. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

The last picture on the link in Post # 21 above.

NOT u-haul property.jpg NOT u-haul property. with what appears to be a document or property number,

24. The reason they use surge brakes is not everyone has an electric brake controller. That is the only reason according to a U-Haul executive that I know.

Hnstray likes this.
  25. If they do not sell them why would they even put that tag on? That says that it was but no longer because it has been legally sold.

Hnstray likes this.
  26. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Did you read post #21? They scrap the smaller trailers. In you follow the link provided, the larger auto transport trailer is for sale. A picture of the "NOT u-haul property" tag appears in this link.

That is a real U-haul dealer in Grand Junction, CO - I actually returned a U-haul rental truck to that location in June, 2019.

Hnstray likes this.
  27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

“Reading is fundamental“......and......”The Devil is in the details”......:D

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

$1300 for that worn out piece of junk? Damn, for about $700 more you can get a brand new, 18' with dove tail with two 3500 lb axles with electric brakes!

29. spanners

spanners

I must admit to being a fan of surge brakes, preferably hydraulic not cable. It doesn't matter which tow vehicle I use I know they'll work and how many times have you seen some numb-nut wizzing down the highway with the electrical plug and wiring dragging along the pavement. Electric brakes won't help you then.

30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have electric brakes your sorry ass BIL won't be able to borrow it because he doesn't have a controller. Just a thought.

R A Wrench and Truckdoctor Andy like this.