Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

She’s a hanger!! Got the rear brakes bolted up with juuuuuuust enough clearance for my brake lines/fittings. Somebody along the line clearanced these perches for hydraulic brakes....good for me!! Don’t know why the paint came out so shiny....it’s supposed to be satin like the frame. Gonna dig up some lug nuts in the garage this weekend and hopefully get the wheels and new tires on! Thanks for stoppin’ by fellas! IMG_2496.JPG IMG_2499.JPG IMG_2497.JPG IMG_2498.JPG Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. Looking a your last picture; the big bore of the wheel cylinder is supposed to face forward and the long lining shoe goes to the front.

loudbang and Fairlane500 like this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The paint wasn't mixed up well enough to mix in the flattening agent in the paint to be the desired satin finish

loudbang likes this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

So the fitting will face rearward?

I thought I heard somewhere that the big shoe went in the front....wasn't sure.
    What was the logic behind this?

loudbang likes this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

I shook the sh*t outta that can! It was sitting for a while though. Sprayed the drums with the end of the same can and cured satin.....
    Maybe I'll spin the next can up in the lathe for about 2 hrs.....:D:D

loudbang likes this.
  6. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I agree with Rich B. Lockheed brakes are different than the self energizing brakes. I just looked at mine and both rear brake lines leave the wheel cylinder towards the back of the car.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yep....just found a diagram. Odd though, in the diagram, it shows the fittings facing forward....
    Sh*t....those clips were a pain in the ass! Well, better to get this info now instead of when it's all together. You see, THIS is why I post here!! Thanks fellas!

Maicobreako, loudbang and Aaron D. like this.
  8. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Just swap your backing plates side to side if it's easier than stripping and rebuilding

9. Piewagn

Piewagn

That's what I'm gonna do with the fronts.....I'm still looking for the parking brake hardware, so I at least wanted the cable tubes in the correct location. I was also thinking of utilizing an in line hydraulic lock of some type, depress the pedal and pull the valve.....something like that. Right now I'm having issues getting the drums on the rear....the outer lip of the shoe is binding with the inner portion of the drum. When I tighten the nut, the drum locks up. I'm all the way in with the adjusters and I did grind a little off the shoe to wheel cylinder tabs like the note says that comes with the shoes but still no luck. It was getting late and I was tired, but I did see the witness marks on the brake shoes. I need to remedy this before moving forward. ANY input on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!
    Thanks for your input Dedsoto.......

loudbang likes this.
  10. Piewagn

Piewagn

Anyone ever run into this problem getting your rear drums on.....anyone??

loudbang likes this.
  11. Long ago we used axle shims to space the drum out further when putting juice brakes on "A" axles; but from what I remember it was the drum rubbing on the backing plate lip that was the problem.

If the drums have been turned, were they cut all the to inner edge of the braking surface.

If it is just the edge of the lining; I have seen the outer edge of the lining beveled to clear.

My kid just narrowed a set of shoes on his mill to cure a similar problem; but on a different application.

By the way, it is emergency brake hardware; not parking brake hardware.

A line-lock will do you no good in an emergency situation.

Line-locks are for "operational" parking, not use as regular parking brake; I've more than few trucks roll away in the old days of Mico brake locks.

Atwater Mike, loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

I do have a set of shims. I did put the drums on the lathe and took that inner lip off....that’s what was leaving the witness marks on the shoes.
    Well, it went from emergency brake to parking brake....we were explicitly advised to tell customers it was a parking brake because modern ones ain’t stoppin’ shyte in an emergency.....
    The lexicon has stuck in my vernacular ever since....
    Thanks for the input Rich!
    Definitely will try the shims.....

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  13. Mart

Mart

Great progress being made. You might need to loosen the wheel cylinders to get the pipes fitted, then bend the pipes and snug the cylinders home.
    Mart.

RICH B and loudbang like this.
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yay!!! I’ve at least got one side done so I know what to do to the other side.... I took the lip off the inside of the drum but the side of the shoe was still hitting the drum. I put one shim on the axle and kept putting the drum on and tightening until it hit the shoe and made witness marks. I knocked down where the witness marks were and evenly did the whole side of the shoe ...on and off with the drum until it spun freely....I measured the width of the shoe so I know how much to knock down the other side on the mill...Thanks for you input Rich, it helped alot!!! IMG_2508.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  15. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Mart! That's what I was thinking....loosen the cylinder to get the fitting started. I did screw a fitting in today without loosening the cylinder and it screwed right in, but....we all know that'll change once the line becomes involved.
    Where ya been? Ya haven't been around to keep me on my toes!! :D

brEad and loudbang like this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

True roller now!! Rear brakes installed and secure!! I’m guessing I won’t have issues with the front brakes; being that the spindles, backing plates and drums all belong together.....headed for vacation, so I won’t see this for another week and a half.....BUT, for me, this is a great note to head out on! Thanks for hangin’ in there with me fellas, you’re all TRULY appreciated!! Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  17. looking good.....

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  18. koolbeans

koolbeans

Absolutely the definition of perseverance!!! Job well done.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Carl! It feels good!

20. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks KB! Definitely a learning experience, one I can appreciate and use for the future. My Tudor will need attention in the future....inner axle seals are leaking.
    I’m in Virginia for a spell, maybe I’ll bumble upon something good!
    Thanks for the moral support.....

loudbang likes this.
  21. pumpman

pumpman

Really like how the wide fives turned out. Really nice color combo.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks pumpman! And once the engine is in, the front will drop down nicely..... I’m still beating myself up over fenders or no fenders, that’s why the running board brackets are still there....
    Thanks for poppin’ in and hangin’ out.....

loudbang and brEad like this.
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

A look back over the past year......photos
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] upload_2020-8-7_9-17-46.png [​IMG] upload_2020-8-7_9-23-2.png upload_2020-8-7_9-23-31.png [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

RodStRace, brEad and loudbang like this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

25. Piewagn

Piewagn

26. Piewagn

Piewagn

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]And here we are....one year later.......Thanks to everyone that gave me guidance and those that put their foot up my ass to keep going.....I appreciate every single one!!

27. Mart

Mart

Great idea putting all the pics together. It's really impressive the progress that has been made. i like that you have fabricated the vast majority of parts too. Built not bought.
    Mart.

Piewagn likes this.
  28. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Mart! You're one of the guys that put your foot up my ass and made me rethink things. I'm now always thinking "what would Mart do?" I absolutely appreciate your input. Plenty more to come!

29. Great review of the past year. You got a lot done!

30. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thank you kind Sir! You guys have kept me motivated at times when I felt like packin' it in! You've all given me the motivation I've needed to carry on.....It's been inspiring to me more than I think you all know........posting and sharing with you guys has become a major highlight of my day.....PLEASE everyone......don't change!!

brEad and loudbang like this.