Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical LOOKING FOR SECRET RECIPE

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bubzy, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

I have a sbc 355, 10:1 Looking for head and cam combo to get me 425-450hp, power band: idle-5500 rpm. Good lopy sound, very snappy response. I'm going crazy trying to come up with a combo that works together. Thank you

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to have long chats with cam makers and engine builders.
    Head choice will be critical too.
    I daresay more displacement is needed like a 400 crank. Unless you are deadset on using your current shortblock.
    Edelbrock touts their head manifold cam package but IIRC it makes HP in a higher RPM range.
    If this is a street only engine you should target making torque rather than HP. Torque is what moves you around at 75% of your driving time. Since HP is a function of RPM, you only see that number when the engine is wound up.

The real question is what do you intend to do with the vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

What's the weight of car? Is it sedan, truck or light hot rod?
    What gear ratio?
    What transmission?
    This is all part of the combo.

4. Jim Forbes & Beano are the first guys that come to mind, they both have been know to build some bad arse engines. HRP

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Pressurize it .....

-Brent- likes this.
  6. larry k

larry k

That is kinda hard under 5500 rpm and spendcive$ to do if you ain't racing it .you need to lean toward the sbc truck pull guys recipe to keep the Rams down and torque up !

7. 6sally6

6sally6

Love how "spell-check" takes over and make complete nonsense out of a post!! THEN..the poster doesn't even proof-read his post before hitting post reply!!:mad:
    6sally6

Maicobreako and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. 6sally6

6sally6

Might wanna look at putting a stroker crank in that "shivel-lay" motor. That would be the EZ way to get USABLE street HP. Then add some ARP heads with 202 intake valves. Try to maintain that 10:1 CR. Roller cam conversion if it is FT now(just to make cam break-in EZ'er). Cam with around 240* duration @050 (intake and exhaust) LSA 110* (maybe tighter 108* if stick shift). Lift not tooo radical because it really stresses your springs when street operation. You could always go with higher lift rockers if you feel you need more lift.(I don't like 'em)
    Just a broad outline what I would do.....given the small amount of info you have given.
    6sally6

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Why have you posted two identical threads within minutes of each other?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. You won't get 425-450 hp with idle to 5500 rpm, out of a 350 SBC. Sure can get 450 hp, but it needs higher rpm powerband along with poorer idle quality and lower end torque.
    To get the powerband you want needs (a lot) more cubes. Even a 383 would be tough meeting that.
    Artificial air, either supercharged or turbocharged will get you there. Or nitrous.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

What kind of Secret Recipe can you expect on an engine thats been around for over 60 years? Everything you can do has been done many thousands of times.

j3harleys likes this.