Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 pontiac touring sedan build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magna.machine.works, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Hello friends. I have had this Pontiac for about 7 years and I am finally getting to it.
    I hope you enjoy this really cool car. Maybe someone can answer the couple questions I have at the end

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

The threaded boss is for the spare tire holder. That is a great car!

magna.machine.works likes this.
  3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

4. 24riverview

24riverview

Rear hole in plywood was probably for checking air pressure in spare, were holes toward the front over body bolts?

5. buford_59

buford_59

Hey there,
    I used to have a '37 Pontiac just like yours. In Canada they used a 216 bored out to 224 and called them a "Model 224". They were used in 37-40 and switched back to the flat-head 'til '54. Your '38 is the American body; the 2-dr. sedans used a '38 Chevy body with Pontiac trim and front fenders (?). In the U.S., OP used an open drive line, with a 2 pc. drive shaft. Not sure if they changed to torque tube for '38. Olds/Pontiac used there own front suspension and brake parts (5 on 5 bolt pattern ); Cdn. Pontiac's used Chevy suspension and brakes (6 bolt wheels). My '39 Buick is Cdn. built and has the Chevy suspension and wheels. It's a "Special" and I don't think they built the big boys in Canada so they would have the American parts etc. Welcome to Canadian built cars.

Enjoy your build. BTW we grafted in a rear steer Nova front clip and it worked/fit; great in the '37 as the stock frame is wider than a Chevy frame. I have pics of it some where and could PM them if you would like.

DoUg

6. That makes sense as well. Yes the front holes did expose some body bolts. Thanks

7. thank you for the info, I do have the 6 bolt wheels, so could this be an american body on a chevy fram? I beleive the VIN tag says GM of Canada on it

8. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

The plywood is modified. (The holes, hinge and 2x4 scraps have been added.) If you look close, it was originally a solid piece, bolted to the perimeter frame and the divider/support.

A twin to your car lives here in Regina and it was built here as well. I'm acutely interested in Regina built cars and the plant's history... so, If you don't mind, post a picture of your cowl tag without disclosing the last few digits of your serial #.

38 Pontiac6 - Copy.jpg

9. Thank you, I will do that within the next week or so

Penetrator likes this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's all Pontiac frame & suspension - '37-8 Chev has the dreaded Knee Action or an axle. The wheels are 8 slot '37-8 Chev, only used for those 2 years.

11. Interesting, this is definitely a Canadian car. I do know for sure it was used as a limousine and have found Chauffeurs licences under the seats. I wonder if heavy duty cars (limos and cabs) had Pontiac suspension i n Canada?

12. Rod_Plans

Rod_Plans

If it has an overhead valve engine it is a Canadian car. A split back window is a series 26 (American design boy and frame) a single back window is a series 25 (Chevy body and frame). As i do not see the Chevrolet body line in the door I suspect it is a series 26 which was sold as a Deluxe six in Canada. You can find more information on my web page. https://www.rodplans.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1270&Itemid=711