Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fear & Loathing The Status Quo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Fear & Loathing The Status Quo

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Take it easy, you deserve it.

Stogy likes this.
  3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

In historical terms - our parents would call it a Midlife Crisis.

Chill Bro.
    Everybody needs to tune out the outside and tune in the inside now and then.
    Everybody needs to get away for a while.

Mod's will cover.

drdave, Stogy, tractorguy and 5 others like this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I reset myself in ´13 and I´m glad I caught it on time. Remember we are Hot Rodders, we fix anything. Take care!

5. Throw away the phone. Sit on a creek bank with a fishing pole in your hand. Do not bait the hook! Life will go on and will still be here when you are ready to dig back in.

Ben

Stogy, tractorguy and R A Wrench like this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey! I've had my mid-life crisis already... And have the Porsche to prove it!

As for Cover, I will need it on Wednesday/Thursday for sure but I will be back at it on Friday full bore. This is a business trip.

I don't think I'm broken? But if I were broken, would I know it?

I think my Gonzo writing might have made this all a little more dramatic than it is. :)

Sancho, Driver50x, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As the saying goes, shit happens. Take as much time as necessary to deal with things on your own terms. Remember there are lots of people out there who've got your back.

Driver50x and Stogy like this.
  8. My wife constantly tells me I’m broken....

I can relate to the post Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Driver50x and Stogy like this.
  9. Take a break......well deserved !

Driver50x, Ranchero59 and Stogy like this.
  10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Your Post And Honesty Applies To Many Of Us In These Tricky Times.. image-450w-573948565.jpg

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't this simply called "focus" which we all need a time or 20?

I'll concur on the gonzo remark because in the grand scheme of things I don't see TJJ/HAMB suffering, but then again us swingin dicks BS'n on the board aren't in the captain's seat. That's all you and outside of the personal benefits we get this shit does something for YOU and if it didn't why bother. I may pop in now and then to some of the others but I'm mostly here.

As far as pandemic/social? I can't get too far into that without a rules violation but in milk crate and coffee speak in the shop? Most of these lying assholes and oppotunity seekers can fuck all the way off. I know sickness is real for some and it always has been, but why now? Why fuck us out of what we work so hard for? And that's EVERYTHING but it hit our car life harder than a sci-fi matinee' plot on a childhood Saturday afternoon. Long ago I turned a blind eye and just kept doing what I do for those who wanted it in spite of it all. Parts and services is an occasional struggle and living in a generally rural area I don't get much bullshit social input other than a couple kids on the random street corner. It's funny though how they forget why they're there to raise a thumb sometimes as you roll by in something kool.

Do what you must bruh and I have a feeling that with a refocus/rezero/rethink we benefit in the end. Rootin for ya as always...:cool:

12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

When we hit our fifties, we started getting rid of things, the more we got rid of the better we felt.. Today we live on a twentyfifth of what we thought we needed back then and are a thousand times more happy..

I remember those Depression WW-II era people. They were all so happy with Zenith AM radio, a little flower garden, a swing, a tin garage usually with a well maintained old car in it. My mom and dad used to play cards on the front porch with our neighbors, they all had so much fun, all you heard was laughter...
    They all went to church on Sunday too. No matter weather you believe or not, you have to admit, there IS something to this. I started doing it again and I feel more peaceful..

Today is so different but what I do see is young people going back to the old ways. They leave phat luxury houses for little city row houses. They sit on the porch and talk with there neighbors. There is hope!

loudbang, scott27, drdave and 15 others like this.
  13. I didn't want anything yesterday. Now that I know you're leaving, I want one of everything in every size. Dammit! ;)

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There's a warning up, but if you order before noon today, it will ship today.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan...all the best on your time off. Well deserved as others have noted...I look forward to whatever you drum up to continue the Quality experience that keeps me coming back for more...My Hotrod/Custom Experience is not complete without a trip here daily...Cheers and Thank You...;)

16. catdad49

catdad49

I'm going to clean my attic when the weather gets a little cooler, not quite the same, but not all that different. Some never realize that a good purge is actually healthy, but you seem to be on your way. Take all the time you need and drop a note if you feel the need. I'm pretty sure that the hoodlums will be here when you return. Til then, Carp.

Dino 64, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. A fresh perspective after some time away may be exactly what is needed, it's past time you got away from the day in/day out responsibility's of The Atomic Industries and the Hoodlums you ram rod on a daily basis.

Some much needed time with your family, get rested up and come back with some fresh ideas, just don't be gone too long, the patients have been known to take over the asylum in the past! :D HRP

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    scott27, Driver50x, bchctybob and 5 others like this.
  18. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Someone once asked me if I was still pushing hard to make my business grow and when I responded that maybe I am coasting and not pushing as hard as I could.
    My friend reminded me that when you are coasting you are usually going downhill.

Jimbo

pirate, jim snow, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  19. A man has to be at peace with himself. Do whatever it takes to make yourself feel right.

20. Ah yes, Fear and Loathing........My business partners..................Dealt with them for decades.

Elcohaulic and LOU WELLS like this.
  21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

You can come crash with me Ryan. Very zen/jack daniel's vibe over here. And vintage boats. What a mix....

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just ordered some Goodies and Bumped up my Alliance...Thanks Boss...;)

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

not shipping until October is traditional. I don't know if everyone remembers the days of "allow 4-8 weeks for delivery". Take it easy man, I did a couple of resets. one of which is when almost 2 years ago I cancelled my cell phone. I can't tell you how wonderful that is and I highly recommend it . The second happened one week ago today. The damned pandemic has brought the company I had worked at for 31 years to its knees. 350 employees and 100 million dollars in sales last year to something like 25 employees now and virtually zero business (I am one of the 25). We were purchased by a venture capitol co. in January and their way of getting the company to "hibernate" while waiting for business to come back is to not pay the suppliers and when they wont sell us materials to get them somewhere else and not pay them either..... This messes with my idea of right and wrong. So last monday I walked into my bosses office and put in my notice. Thursday is my last day, I am retiring!!!!

24. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I realized a long time ago that the secret to being happy lies within myself. I simply had to make up my mind to be happy and realize that most of the things that cause unhappiness are only present in our lives because we allow them to be there.
    Sure there are things like health that we may have to live with.....but most other things are of our own making.
    Take the HAMB, I'm sure its a continual pain in the ass dealing with people like me. But ask yourself if the site would really suffer if you decided to be less restrictive about content and only got involved when you received a complaint. I'm not saying throw caution to the wind, but allow it to be a little more generic as long as the subject matter had some reference to the automotive hobby. By that I mean not only cars, but the means people use to build those cars. I know that an awful lot of people like myself will comb thru the Hamb for certain information even though they don't plan to build a nostalgia perfect vehicle. There are a lot of people, probably at least half of the members who plan to build a car that has radial tires, overdrive trans, and even add an independent front suspension. I think including them in the conversations would be beneficial to the Hamb. It would certainly cause less need for monitoring and weighing decisions constantly.

OK, now my point here. I think trying to keep up with all the postings and constantly decide what is acceptable is something that wears on you and drains you. Its like the difference between the occasional sharp pain and the nagging small pain thats always there. Its a decision you imposed upon yourself, and I think maybe thats why you want/need a break. Sometimes a person is their own worst enemy.

I enjoy the site you created, and I hope that maybe a break will serve you well. I also know that I would find it hard to stay happy if I had the daily burden you contend with. So best of luck in the future. Spend more time on your project and less time dealing with some of us a**holes..............:D:D:D

Edit: PS: I'm not suggesting dropping the year restriction for vehicles, just being a little more accepting of how those vehicles are built.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Good for you Mark!
    I experienced that same scenario in 2005 after 30 years with the same company as a machinist, the owner of the company died and his lawyers absolutely scuttled the ship.
    For some time it felt like the worst possible thing that could have happened, in actuality other than the large financial aspect, it worked out, I was tired of turning handles.

26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I remember having to reset at your age.
    Only I didn’t have the option of changing up my responsibilities.
    But managed other things to make the world right side up again.
    Take your time. We are adults and can behave if we have to.
    Be careful out there.

Good for you Mark. You’ll feel like your 17 all over again.

LOU WELLS, catdad49, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Moriarity congrats man!

Ryan I get it man, all of it. I’ve been trying to do something similar for similar reasons.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holy shit Mark... That's rad.