Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BChrismer's Beater '40 Ford Panel Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchrismer, Dec 28, 2019.

1. I still have most of the gallon left. I am sure I can spare some for the rear floor.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Sitting here at my computer, doing some bookkeeping for Bret Chrismer's Mustache Wax, after getting back from the post office and mailing out another order. I'm not saying the panel truck has kicked my sales in the butt, however, since I started posting photos of it with the logo on the sides, I have received a few orders. LOL

Since getting the insurance on the panel, I have driven it pretty much everywhere I have been, with the exception of last week when a buddy of mine brought over his grandson who was wanting to see my '40s. The kid is 13 or 14 and has a passion for early Fords! Can I get an AMEN??? Anyway, while they were here, I took him for a ride in the coupe. After we got back, I explained to him that the coupe has about 300HP, and the panel truck, when new, only had a rating of 85HP, so it would be a totally different experience. He had a big grin on his face the entire time he was riding in both '40s, but I think his preference was the panel truck.

The public reception, pretty much everywhere I have taken it, has been extremely positive. Yesterday, I had a guy strike up a conversation in the parking lot of the grocery store, and this morning, I had another guy asking me a bunch of questions when I ran out to get some milk at Braum's. I had similar reactions to the '40 MorDor, which wasn't quite as rough as the panel, but close.

Ok...now time to get back to the books.

3. BlowHole.jpg (photo courtesy of Quentin)

Yesterday was the Stray Kat Reunion, over in Dewey, OK. I never asked the "why" for the event, just assumed it was just a way for Mick and the other Stray Kats to have their buddies come over and hang out since they canceled the Stray Kat 500 for this year.

I was excited to take the '40 panel truck over, but spent my Friday afternoon trying to resolve the 35-40mph front end wobble and didn't do the "fluid levels" check, other than checking the oil and gas gauge. When I showed up to meet Mike, Pike, and Quentin, at 5:30AM, the panel was blowing steam out of the radiator overflow tube. Being one of little patience, I bummed a towel from Mike, put on a leather glove, and took the pressurized radiator cap off resulting in a geyser of coolant and water all over the parking lot and front end of the truck. It took 2 gallons of coolant to bring it back up to level. I told them to go on without me, and I would limp the panel home and get the coupe and meet up with them there, but they insisted on waiting until I got back. Pike told me that the panel wasn't gonna make it and I should just leave it there and ride with him.

I took off from Hoods, with a normally 20 minute ride back to the house. The whole time, I was keeping an eye on the temp gauge which was reading steady at "Normal". Unfortunately, I missed the exit and took a longer route back to the house. When I got home, I ran inside, grabbed my infrared temp gun, shot both heads and they were 168 and 178 degrees while not running, so I decided that it was just my bonehead mistake of letting the radiator get too low that caused the issue, so I tossed a pair of new water pumps in the back of the panel, grabbed a hose and hosed off the coolant that was all over the front, and headed back out to the truck stop to meet back up with them.

Mike, Pike, and Quentin decided that since I was running a flathead and had an issue already, that they would make me the "lead" vehicle in our 4 car convoy to Dewey. Unfortunately, I don't have a rear view mirror, and the side view mirrors were difficult to see out of to keep track of where the other cars were, so I just went ripping down the highway, running between 70-80mph. One thing I learned is that the little flathead is pretty thirsty, still, requiring a gas stop in Coffeyville, KS. (I think I have a leaking power valve)

When Pike pulled in with his '41 coupe, he was going on and on about me not showing the flathead any mercy, and how surprised he was that I was running it so hard. I reminded him that I am pushing 3.0 gears, so it wasn't working that hard.

116798262_3494598390553301_3158283273565225721_o.jpg
    (photo courtesy of Travis Miller)
    When we pulled into the event, Jerry Curry had saved us some spots, but Pike and I parked in the grass up at the front.
    116681884_3494598740553266_8402916416711064934_o.jpg
    (Photo also courtesy of Travis Miller)

The trip was successful, with just that one incident, and I have now ordered a couple new power valves from VintageSpeed.com so I can swap the one in the carb and finish a rebuild on a backup.

Was a fun trip, and I appreciate all the kind words that were shared about the panel truck. One of the shocking revelations was when Jim Smith told me that he's been reading this thread. He and Jason and their crew have cranked out some KILLER cars from Hot Rod Garage in Sand Springs, OK, and for him to be reading about my beater panel blew me away. Thanks for the kind words, Jim. It is always a pleasure to visit with you.

4. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Good to see you and your truck, it is looking good.

loudbang and bchrismer like this.
  5. It was good to see you yesterday and fun to see the truck in person....even if it wasn’t carrying any wax. Lol

brEad, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Always good to see you and your bride! I was really shocked to see her riding shotgun and not behind the wheel of the 35. I think that is a first for me. ;-) Looking forward to seeing you two in October.

loudbang likes this.
  7. I actually was carrying wax on the trip over. Robert Waddell ordered 4 tins on Friday night and I delivered those to him. I just didn't have any "extras", but I did tell ya that my personal tin of candy cane scented wax was sitting on the passenger seat if you wanted to use some.

Always great to see ya, Dr Dave.

drdave, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Good to see you Saturday as always Bret. And, I was glad to get to check out the panel in person. The day just went by too quickly....

drdave and loudbang like this.
  9. No doubt. I was over talking with Lisa and B-Scott when Meeker sent me a text telling me they were ready to take off. I didn't get to swing back by for a "goodbye" visit. I much prefer the 3 day SK500 deal when there is more time. LOL

10. Sometimes I am an idiot!

Monday morning, my daughter's car quit on her around the corner from the house. I took her the boogie van (2000 Chevy Astro) so she could get to school and I walked back to the house to take the panel truck to work on her car. The battery cables were pretty nasty, so I cleaned them but still couldn't get it to start. That's where the idiot thing comes in.

I get to the house and decide to back into the driveway. Unfortunately while I could see clearly where the passenger rear fender was outside on the mirror, I wasn't looking at THAT mirror. Backed it into the passenger side of the wife's Ford Explorer and put a big dent into the panel's fender and scratched the piss out of her bumper cover.

Drove the panel out to Meeker's for Hot Rod Night and took a crap ton of teasing by all the old farts out there. Meeker looked at it and said "I can bang that out", so I'll take it back out there one of these Saturday's and let him go to town with his hammer.

20200810_104926.jpg
    20200810_104931.jpg
    20200810_104935.jpg
    20200811_210635.jpg
    In the right light, it's not that noticeable. LOL

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    VF-1, Tim, Dan Hay and 9 others like this.
  11. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

not noticeable at all..........;)

12. Sounds like something I would do... Sorry man. :(

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. No worry "it'll buff".

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Did it to my 40, lot less fun with paint on it.

15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Looks just fine in the dark.

Mike will fix you up. I think he secretly likes working on patina stuff where close enough is "close enough". He'll never admit that though!;)

bchrismer and loudbang like this.
  16. Did you see that he bought John Riggs' '57 Ranchero?

Nostrebor and loudbang like this.
  17. Can't see it from here. LOL

loudbang, guthriesmith and bchrismer like this.
  18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I did not. I have not seen Mike for a bit. He's been on a run of car buys!

loudbang and bchrismer like this.
  19. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Attached Files:

loudbang and warbird1 like this.
  20. Nostrebor, loudbang and 47ragtop like this.
  21. Yesterday was a BIG day. I finally got my notarized copies of the filed declaratory judgement, which states I am the rightful owner of the '40. I haven't had a chance to go to the license office, so I don't know if they will assess a penalty or if I will just have to pay the sales tax and title fee. Once I have that paperwork, I can apply for a YOM plate for it.

22. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

When I did the last bonded title the did not assess any penalties, and I had owned that one for almost two years. I don't know how that applies to your situation, but maybe they won't? Hopeful encouragement!

bchrismer, guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  23. wutnxt

wutnxt

Exactly why I sold my ‘56 F-100 Panel. Couldn’t see out of it and backup cameras hadn’t been invented yet

24. 121142797_10221997538795291_3906071266437814353_o.jpg

Last weekend was the St Louis Hot Rod Hundred. During the build of the '40 panel truck, my plans were to drive it to the Stray Kat 500, the MidAm NSRA Nats, Frog Follies, the Midwest Forty Ford 80th Birthday Gathering, and the St Louis Hot Rod Hundred. Stray Kat 500 got canceled, but Mick did a "Stray Kat Reunion" which I did drive it to. MidAm Nats was postponed until next weekend, Frog Follies was canceled, the Midwest Forty gathering has it's own thread, and this past weekend was the St Louis Hot Rod Hundred. So...most of my check list events it was scheduled for it made.

The above picture was on the way home from St Louis, when I stopped off for a pic in front of Wrinks Market. I've got shots of a few of my old cars there, so I figured I needed one of the panel there, too.

The pics going down the highway were shot by Phyllis Bachand, out of the window of Marty's daily driver '59 vette. We were running around 75mph, and having fun passing a long line of the Fat Boys of Illinois on the way home. I was laughing that the little 1940 221ci flatty was keeping up and passing the cars with much stronger engines. The fact is, though, if they had pushed their loud pedals, they would have left us sitting in the dust.

120955161_3375031402533351_4964665099631739158_n.jpg 121106727_651791182197331_6279549070081619270_n.jpg 121021078_438129473822247_5999983914303923017_n.jpg 121055742_1213687979017072_1239918703559934410_n.jpg 121202806_633295710649672_4393340241415884479_n.jpg 121258565_2419596635002471_3289838930655368540_n.jpg 121072334_10221997538515284_5888788904477824930_o.jpg
    Another one of my "traditional" stopping points to get a bag of tacos for the ride home.

VF-1, R A Wrench, Legends47 and 18 others like this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  26. kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  27. all of them. ;-)

28. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

At the moment his favorite color for it is green I think.

cvstl, Nostrebor, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  29. Yes, Joe. You made me laugh!

Yes, I did post the panel for sale on Facebook Marketplace. I've got a kid that needs some costly dental work, and since the coupe and stake truck are "legacy" '40s, the panel is the one that is available to sell. Heck, the thing is fun to drive, and handy as pockets on a shirt for hauling stuff around.

I was able to come up with a financial plan where I don't "need" to sell it, but if someone wants to part with enough green, I'm all for it. That just gets me that much closer to a '40 convertible. ;-)

30. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I wasn't going to call you out on it, but I also found it on the facespace. We're always watching!:D

I feel your pain. have a couple of projects I am getting ready to list as well... I need two new furnace/AC systems for the house, and those apparently cost money.:oops:

I hope someone with a suitcase full of Bennies falls in love with it, and all your dreams are realized!

bchrismer and loudbang like this.