Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any machinists that could make a fitting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Jul 24, 2020.

1. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Patsurf I understand the headache for needing something so simple and cant find what you need. You can spend hours days or weeks looking for a part. When I did my apprenticeship tool and die / model maker we made everything and bought very little. The owner of the place even made his own screws with odd pitches so his customers had to buy from him. When I had the spring company I had to make repairs or replacement parts weekly. Most of our machines had odd ball shafts gears and bearing and proprietary goodies as well. I am very happy to help a guy out as I have been in that position as well

Yes sir Dick Stevens I did mix it up sorry bad typing

2. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

What you describe will work fine for a straight fitting, but not for a 45 or 90 degree fitting like the OP shows. If you look closely at the pic of the replacement fitting posted above, you can see there's a groove for the o ring and then the thread continues on past the groove to accept the jam nut.

This allows the fitting to screw freely into the hole and stop at the proper orientation and then the jam nut is tightened to maintain orientation. If the ell used a face seal like the washer you mentioned, it would simply tighten until the two faces contact, and whatever way the ell is looking is what you're stuck with. You can't use a jam nut with a face washer to seal as the fluid will travel along the threads thru the jam nut and leak out the back side of the nut.

Going by the info on the replacement part listing, this ell was only used on mustangs and broncos for a few years. Wild guess would be the ell was used to take care of some clearance problem. The ell would cost the manufacturer at least twice as much as a straight fitting, and given the lengths car makers will go to in order to save a dime per car, they wouldn't have used it if a straight one was a workable option.

3. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Metimunchr, yes you are correct, I should have been more clear that I was mostly referring to the NPS thread as not being oddball....no manufacturer I know of used NPT thread in a trans case.

I will say, leave it to Ford to do something oddball and hard to find for just a year or two of production...practically the Engineering Department modus operendi for them.

4. Dennis D

Dennis D

Haven't read all the post on this, but can you find a oring plug fitting that will fit that hole and then drill and tap the plug for whatever fitting will work for your line? If it is critical on the tube diameter this may not work as it will probably end up being 1/8 pipe that you put in the end of the plug. D

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

geez i hate the modern world!!!! i have been clicking the links to these fitting supply place's the guys have been listing and now every place i go, the site is filled with adds for fittings. news site, ebay, everywhere. greedy bastards, like if you shop for the best price on a part, then buy it, then for 6 months you get adds for the part you already bought!!. ok, im done ranting, carry on with fittings discussion.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

XRP fasteners
    Pg 62 P#822 3 lengths to choose -4 male
    Pg 13 P# 240004 straight female swivel hose barb end

7. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

20200725_204356.jpg
    some shots of the lines on my mustang 20200725_204356.jpg 20200725_204147.jpg

8. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

same as the lines i posted if they are for a falcon mustang lines would bolt right up

9. Fella’s....
    Let me tell ya...all of you...Thank You all....I’ve got a neighbor that retired from Ford Dyno...he was able to put this together for me..should be in my hands
    by Friday..I think this will be perfect. I’m gonna try the hard line first..if it gives me trouble, barb fitting and a section of rubber line it is...
    5CBA3EEF-C31B-4271-87C0-F6327616F834.jpeg

57JoeFoMoPar and continentaljohn like this.
  10. Yeah but there goes my $750.00 Dougs Headers, the rebuilt trans, and $375.00 Shifter I just bought

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's perfect man, that will work and give you no trouble.

12. Looks like you've got it! Not exactly what you initially "ordered" but it gets the job done.

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

As long as you can " clock" that , it should work ...

14. 7B8BBEE9-83E5-4A0C-948F-9F11DEB5232C.jpeg So...the guy had to tweak it a bit due to the wrong size fitting...so my question now is..this o ring isn’t going to stop this from leaking will it?? It needs a groove to sit in..1 step forward..10 steps back...

15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Hmmmm , no way to seal those straight cut threads .....

16. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Countersink the brass nut so the O-ring sits into the nut.

Tman likes this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Still won't seal the threads ...

18. Thinking O ring, washer and screw it in the case..

19. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Go back and take a second look at post #44. Clean and simple.

20. Well...I went for it today..I found a washer that fit between the o ring and the jam nut..I used some Teflon tape and it went right on and fit like a glove. My ground down wrench did the trick for the jam nut. I’m crossing my fingers it doesn’t leak...
    4254C0D1-F186-4594-85C8-D0FF1D8D4B86.jpeg

21. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bonded washer (Dowty seal is a brand) will seal what that o ring won't!

Chris

22. Yeah my neighbor that made that fitting for me ( retired Ford Dyno ) seems to think it will be fine...we’ll see once I get back over there and get everything back together.

23. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

I'm failing to see how this rig is taking any less space than the correctly bent hard line shown in Post #68?? It actually sticks out farther from the case and servo cover than the bent hard line does

24. BE82E008-CEB7-451F-9D82-F1A699351B45.jpeg
    On my pan fill C4 the fitting goes in on top of the servo cover. I bought pre bent lines , Made lines, no way I could get a Line over that servo cover due to headers, tunnel, basically you would be working blind and if you can tighten a nut up on top of and over that servo cover..you are way better than me..lesson learned..next time the trans lines will somehow go on prior to the trans going all the way in.
    basically what I needed was a way to get the fitting into the case easier and a way to get over this servo..now all I need to do is run a piece of rubber line to my hard line and it’a good to go

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  25. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

OK. I understand now...it wasnt a line clearance itself install issue, it was a "room to work" clearance situation....if the line had been on the trans prior to the trans being put in the vehicle you'd have not had this issue??

26. Yeah..this was not a job to be tackled with the trans in the car with headers on, etc. if someone has done this with the trans in the car using stock parts they are a much better man than me. I’m just praying for no leaks once I fire it..

27. Went together like a dream...I didn’t wanna fire the motor by myself...hoping it all holds together and doesn’t leak... 4FDAD256-D844-4FAB-8668-FD0F2E96FBD3.jpeg 7F940CA0-E981-4731-871A-F65BBADA0398.jpeg

57JoeFoMoPar and fauj like this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do you have a bulge in that hard line with the two clamps on it?

29. Turn one of those clamps 180 degrees from the other and they'll clamp better.