Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

2. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Good catch is right, just curious ; what caused the timing to get over advanced? Where you just testing to see how far you could push it? Or some kind of mistake? Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread.

racer-x likes this.
  3. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Good catch is right, just curious ; what caused the timing to get over advanced? Where you just testing to see how far you could push it? Or some kind of mistake? Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread.

racer-x, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. 97

We have been wearing "Nitro Fever" "No known cure!" on the back of our shirts for years. (Way before Covid 19 fever) . An old racer that I know, tips the can , 50% gas 40 methanol and 10% pop , in his Briggs lawn mower , reckons it keeps his memories alive and his wife says he is content to follow the mower all day ... he
    just buys a quart bottle from the model aircraft shop! He is probably considered a little eccentric!:eek:

5. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Brian, I assume that the bearings were new at the beginning of the season, do they get that bad from just running nitro, or is it from the timing.

Tony

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Vibrations caused the mag to turn. I had a billet clamp on the base. Now the mags are clamped together. They can't move now. We were not seeing how far we could go.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Good Lord Brian ,
    You are right,,,,that bearing is destroyed ,,,,,The piston very bad,,and the valves look bad .
    Nitro is very unforgiving,,,,it will destroy engines if not watched over closely .
    There is tremendous power in Nitro,,,,,,enough power to literally blow an engine apart .
    Thank goodness you are on top of it and check your components closely ,,,,there is a lot of work involved in running Nitro .
    You have an awesome car,,,,,and it shows your attention to detail,,,,you the man !

Tommy

8. I forgot to mention the indicator of too much heat on the piston. When looking at it the black eyebrow going down to the ring just below the exhaust valve relief is what you look for. This is a almost sure sign the ring groove is junk. It wasn't hot enough to pinch the ring but it's still junk. The rings lost their tension and gap. Just consumables for a nitro engine.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Brian
    Lucky for you that you have "other" cars to use to get a quart of milk and a loaf of bread.
    But with parts on the shelf and especially how fast you work you wouldn't be out too long.

racer-x and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. I have actually gone shopping in the coupe. It's all back together ready for Louisville nsra show.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can imagine the scene that created down at the Piggly Wiggly!

12. Brian,
    I have a lot of respect for you,,,,,,when I see pics of your hands oily and dirty ,,,,,actually working on replacing engine parts .
    That is hard work,,,,,not to mention the costly repair parts .
    I hope to see you in person someday at a race or show .
    Good luck man,,,,you deserve it !

Tommy

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I can promise you Brian works his ass off on this car and is a definite hands on guy I seen it all weekend at the outta sight drags and many other times I’ve raced at the same time he is not the guy with a big crew doin the work while he soaks up the a/c in the trailer he does have help but don’t we all

14. tommy i will be at the nsra show in louisiville ky starting this wednesday. i will be inside the exhibition building. the car will be in the flitz display. its not hard to get my hands dirty its hard to clean them so i can go to work at the hospital.

15. I love the smell of nitro in the shop and the cool yellowish haze floating around. It's all back together. 20200802_182006.jpg

16. Brian,
    Yeah,,,I remember from before that you are on call a lot of times and work a lot of hours at the hospital .
    Another reason for respect and admiration,,,,I can’t imagine how you get your hands clean to go to work .
    Mine are always stained and streaked for a few days .

Tommy

17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmmm, too bad there isn't a decent song about n called "Yellow Haze" ... :D .
    Marcus...

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  18. palmolive dish soap is the secret. if thet are super nasty with stuff that wont come off then i use lots of hand lotion with gloves on for a few hours. some days at work i wear gloves all day long so the patients dont see my hands.

97, chryslerfan55, The 39 guy and 6 others like this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

loudbang likes this.
  20. no caught it just in time. i run big clearances compared to a street engine. the nitro billet cranks are very hard and the bearings are soft. that way the bearing takes the abuse. thats what probable saved it.

21. Do you use Babbitt bearings Brian ?
    And you’re right ,,,,the cranks are very hard !

Tommy

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  22. It's a regular soft bearing.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. Set up at the nsra nationals in Louisville Kentucky. I started a seperate thread on coverage. 20200806_095523.jpg 20200806_095523.jpg 20200806_095448.jpg 20200806_095509.jpg 20200806_095658.jpg

24. New for the 2020 fuel altered nationals held in eddyville Iowa. They changed the rules so a left hand steer nostalgic coupe can compete. The rule used to mandate center steer only. This rule was in place to stop the pro mods from showing up.
    The rule now reads new for 2020 vintage coupe bodies with center steer will allowed if running a minimum 50 percent nitro. The car must meet the spirit of the class and is subject to the race directors approval. It will be fun to race my car against other nitro powered altereds. It will be interesting to see how my street car does against them. The car must qualify for a spot. They have three classes a;b;c fields of eight cars. It will be fun.

25. Well now I'm pissed i didn't go! I want a tshirt!

loudbang likes this.
  26. I can ship one. Small through xl are 15.00 and 2x are 17.00. Shipping extra. USPS is around 5.00

27. I have been a little busy. After I got home from the nsra show I took the engine apart. Even after new rings and pistons and valve job the cylinders were leaking at 50 percent. To fix that a sunnen rigid stone hone was used to make the cylinders round again. The key to making it work is setting up the hone for maximum pressure. A 1/2 inch powerful drill is needed. After reassemble the leak was down to a usable 18 percent.
    The car hasn't been able to mile per hour as of late. The converter was pulled and cut apart. A bearing broke and trashed the inside locking up the sprag. Pro torque can't get me the parts I need for 3-4 weeks. So say hello to this aluminum bolt together beauty. The 60 foot times will like the 15 lb weight reduction. I got 3 billet stators with it. 20200814_073608.jpg 20200814_073620.jpg 20200814_073644.jpg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  28. Nice! Sorry for the engine trouble. It's always something isn't it. Glad the hone worked so well.
    Take care and keep us posted!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. Poster for the event. This is shaping up to be a wild race. The largest field ever for the event. Stop out and see the show. FB_IMG_1597424082296.jpg

30. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

Hi Brian, that new converter's a nice piece.
    That poster is so cool, all those race cars with a street car in the middle of them!
    Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
    Arnold.