Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***July 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Four Is A Good Number***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 1, 2020.

1. noboD

noboD

Autozone has them.

2. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I have a set of ratchet crimpers and stainless clamps but don’t want to make permanent until I get this sorted out. I will google earls and snag some. Thanks guys

3. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Pour in a can or two of gas line antifreeze. Heet, Ban-Ice, etc. it's alcohol and it will absorb the water that's left in all the low spots like your float bowl and mix it with the gas to be burned. Don't use rubbing alcohol, it is usually mixed with water. I've seen labels that said as much as 60% water. In our modern bat bugs world there should be plenty of sources of alcohol.
    Diesel Heet in the red jug is isopropyl, yellow jug is methanol. Either one will work.

Old Dawg and dmdeaton like this.
  4. @poshdbs what’s the deal with the flywheel? Haven’t seen one like that before

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. poshdbs

poshdbs

Stirling Damper Flywheel. https://vibrationfree.co.uk

6. poshdbs

poshdbs

Winduptoy supplies them in the States.

7. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Got the pickup back together, runs pretty well. Like the Winfield on my roadster, the Brierley likes lots of advance quick, but not a lot total. It runs best with about 16 degrees by 1200rpm limited to about 22 at 2000. On 91 octane I can run 24 degrees and it runs a little nicer (and cooler)
    Put about 100 miles on it back and forth to work,etc. The old honeycomb rad can't keep up with our 90+ temps, I'll get a good one coming for it. 71917612-A13D-4A1E-812E-0D3DDEEDB0B3.jpeg nice sunrise pic headed to work Wednesday..natural flame job :)

8. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

@Jet96 What distributor are you running on the pickup?

I've ordered a Brierley head myself, sadly the castings Jim picked up from the foundry were bad so a few weeks of delay is to be expected before it's ready to be shipped.

9. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

A6EC3A16-08E1-4D44-B956-040715833869.jpeg @mikko it's an older (50's?) Mallory v8 single point. A fellow in FL sets them up and sells them.It came complete with cap, wires, and big can-type condenser. It's a nice distributor, easy to change springs, limit advance etc...plus -it doesn't look modern! Bubba's had run out of cores a couple years ago when I was looking for one for my roadster and a couple guys recommended this one as it's not as expensive as the FS.

Mikko_ and Old Dawg like this.
  10. Jiminy

Jiminy

11. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

do you have the fellows name In Florida? He did a Mallory for me and would like him to do another

12. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

@dmdeaton
    His name is Ken Holcomb, I don't have his email, I've got the sheet that he sent with it at my shop if you don't come up with it

13. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Thanks
    I will try to find him
    I really liked the single point aluminum he did for me but I lacked oiling the shaft and after a running season it locked up
    I need it repaired

14. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Yes-that's an issue I had with it, I caught it when I pulled the head to do some welding. I could barely turn the shaft. Disassembled it and got everything lubed and it worked good again. -Thought to put a tube in the side similar the stock A oiler. For now I just poke my squirt can up in the hole in the bottom and give it a shot once in a while.A bit messy but it works...

15. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Something I've done in the past is submerge the bottom of the distributor in a can of oil. Deep enough to cover the advance mechanism (if possible) but not the point plate. Just an idea...