Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Patina or paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Pandora, Jul 29, 2020.

?
  1. Paint

68.8%
  2. Patina

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fortynut

fortynut

I got under your skin because the Rat Rod disease that has seeped into the consciousness of so many who once held appearance to be sacrosanct. Common sense no longer matters to those so afflicted. Look through the pictures Ryan uses to illustrate traditional hot rods. How many look like the roadster in question? Do you see any rust buckets that were built and driven back then? Those builders had the kind of pride that goes with keeping your ride presentable enough to turn heads because of the design, execution, and upkeep. As to your attitude toward my disdain, I figure that is symptomatic of the disease.

Ned Ludd, 32SEDAN, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, I had to google that word!

3. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

Wow Quite the talk great replies thank you for all for the input so I guess in the end it all comes down to what I like do I want something to shine or something that will grind my sponges in to little bits .. so i will drive like it is for now and think about how I want to paint it and have a hell of a lot of fun doing it I got it to drive not to turn it in to a parts car sitting in my Garage so I will make a plan and do a little at a time and do my best to DRIVE IT EVERYDAY

4. Good for you. However, I think you'll find you will be more accepted here if you do EXACTLY as the HAMB tells you to do. They're pretty big on 'permission' here, not so much on the 'forgiveness'....

5. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

Copy that!!!

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  6. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey, hold up a bit. The guy asked for opinions, even added a poll to see what hambers thought. All I see is people giving their ideas on what they would or wouldn't do. If you are not going to like some of the feedback, maybe don't ask the question. As for "permission", the OP has all that he needs to do exactly as his heart desires. After all, it's his ride.
    Stay happy.
    :):):)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  7. adam401

adam401

My 34 in my avatar is brushed semi gloss rustoleum. Easy to touch up and affordable with having all the mouths to feed that I have.
    I saw the Roadster for sale in question I believe in New Hampshire or Mass? I dont remember but its got a lot going on with all the good early Ford stuff.

8. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The opinions are about the car / subject / topic the OP asked about.

If you fellas are going to escalate your sniping and bitching AT each other for a difference of opinion, the post is going to be closed.

10. It is your car & you should do it how ever makes you happy, no matter what others think!

Being a painter & kinda anal about my stuff...I have never seen "Nice Patina" It is either painted nice
    or it is waiting to be painted. IMO. Even the fact that my 56 Pontiac (my Avatar) is mat black bothers me a bit, but I bought it as a fill in while building some others.

Great ride how ever you decide to do it!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

lonejacklarry and Budget36 like this.
  11. @fortynut; This is what you said about the OP’s car: Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

This is what you are on record for saying about this car a while back: Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

Explain to me the difference, school me.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. adam401

adam401

Clunker do you still have your roadster? Its killer. Maybe once all this virus shit blows over I'll see it in person at a show

13. Not mine. It was a really bitchin’ build thread from a while back. A guy’s first Av8. He did outstanding work, and a great job documenting it. I love it. So did some people who are criticizing the OP’s Roadster, even though they both are very similar.

If you don’t remember this thread, then check it out: (from your cars I’ve seen here, I think you’ll dig it)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-first-av8.1113385/page-7

Right now I drive an old Caddy or bikes. I’m a few years away from any new project (kids, had to move, Covid crushing my income etc,) but I can tell you it will probably look just like these two cars in these two threads. I know most people here don’t like ratty cars, but I really dig ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

adam401 likes this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Ridlers here, never advocated for 5-figure show job. So WTF was I talking about? Here's a couple roadsters done by very close friends who DID NOT spend a fortune on finish work but have cars that anyone here can respect and desire. Prove me wrong:
    20181221_202648.jpg
    IMG9513411.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 2nd one got touched up as needed a little flat clear maybe here n there, done. But I dunno, he shoula let it all rust to "fit in" perhaps? Taking an all or nothing approach is personal choice and alternatives are endless. Doing nothing at all? Also a personal choice. BTW, the one on top cost him about $500 in materials for the whole car, he spent a month of evenings and weekends to do the work. Both were in the basement at Autorama in '19. I'd hate to be thought of as a hypocrite because my biz is show cars. I'm not. Opinionated as fuck? Guilty. Did I say badass roadster Jeff? Meant to...

Ned Ludd likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

It takes a lot of work to take a typical 90 year old rusty, beat up, cracked, body and make it nice enough to paint. Even if you don't put color on it, most of the work is in the prep. When these cars were only 20 years old, they didn't need that much work, did they?

I have no problem with folks not wanting to put that effort into a car...lazy is a great excuse to leave the thing alone. At least, until you get up the time, money, and ambition, not to mention plan for the down time, to do it right.

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Some of us just like the appearance of an old hot rod. I didn't say anything about the cost, or fear of scratches. And I didn't say I "don't give a shit" what my car looks like. WTF??? Why do some of you that disagree have such an asshole attitude?

Shalamo and wraymen like this.
  17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So where's the photos of your car(s). Calling somebody else's car a piece of crap is not acceptable IMO, you should be gone.

Shalamo and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  18. adam401

adam401

Just remember these things are for driving and having fun. Its weird when shit gets so polorized here. If anyone here were walking out of the grocery store and saw any car posted on this forum parked youd turn your head and checkn t out. In the wild there are few old cars. Here we have an embarressment of riches. We're spoiled to see everyrhing ever at once and have the luxury of being super focused and picky and clicky. Old cars are sick. Early old cars that get driven are really really sick. Lets all just settle the fuck down a bit shall we and have some manners for a fucking change.

19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You know there's real problems in the world.

I’m sorry, a disease? Disdain,? Wow!
    I buried a friend yesterday, a brother by another mother. I see this.Wow!

This kind of stuff sickens me, it always has.
    A car is not painted or not painted with the right stuff, the right way and it’s laziness or neglect. Yep a present owner is responsible even though the car was parked in the tall grass a couple of decades before his birth.

It takes a lot of effort and coin just to get one drivable.

If a car does not have the whiz bang updated brakes the owner is foolish or negligent.

It seems there’s a pay to play club. If you don’t pay you’re lazy, stupid or negligent.

I’m sure Pandora would gladly take 5 or 10 grand for a paint job.

You gotta love how others tell others how to spend their money.

Another truth is, to restore a car, you destroy the car and then you build it back. Many of us are hesitant to do that.

Unfortunately all to many never get past the destroy part of the process.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and can post it.

When it gets into derogatory terms like laziness, diseased, hatred, disdain or other truly over the top terms directed personally, it goes too far in my opinion.

All this over a Flathead Roadster.....

The thing is, it’s not a bad car.

Some perspective

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At the scales....
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    Guess who's driving?
    BTW...I think he should paint it. Maybe not now, but one day. It's up to him. Life is too short for on going body/project jail if you are not so equipped, equipped, mentally, physically or financially.

Get some goody while you can. There may be no tomorrow.

20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Perhaps Bill Burnham had the right idea when he built his roadster........
    Seemed to enjoy driving it everywhere and didn't give a crap about what anyone else liked.

Burnham 2 001.jpg
    As the picture states, apparently a lot of people disagreed with Bill, but he was entitled to his own way of doing things.

HEMI32, Lil'Alb and Jeff Pandora like this.
  21. The patina fad is dying.

22. SIDNEY SWEIGART

SIDNEY SWEIGART

23. SIDNEY SWEIGART

SIDNEY SWEIGART

I think it needs some paint. A little 2. rusty. Just my opinion. Cool ride!

Jeff Pandora likes this.
  24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope, actually a new steel body. The point was some short time and 5 Benjis.

25. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey @F-ONE , real sorry to hear this. Hope you and all around you are doing ok.

The times are definately strange. Lots of stress in all our lives. Still, not an excuse for some to over-step the mark regarding the concept of respect. All are entitled to an opinion. Some need to do a little work on the manner they deliver it.

Stay strong man. Life will understandably seem a bit raw for you at the moment. We are thinking of you.

Blues4U and chopped like this.
  26. A Boner

A Boner

That’s what they said about flatheads.

210superair and Blues4U like this.
  27. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Oh goody it’s still going, now I’ll step in this polarized pile of poo. I’m kinda in both camps, started out in bodywork in the early 80s didn’t take long to realize it’s not for me, knowing what it takes to produce a really nice paint job gives me an appreciation for a vehicle with one, however I also really appreciate an authentic patina, and my definition of this is worn and weathered paint, not all over rust. My truck for example has what I consider nice patina, except for the rear which is just about all rust which bothers me but to remedy this would mean painting it and then what, great big can of worms, do I go back and repair all the little dings and dents not to mention rust is into the seams and distorting them, which would mean blowing the whole thing apart and taking care of that. No, I think I’ll just leave it the way it is and just enjoy it as is. That being said this fake patina thing offends in a big way.

bchctybob likes this.
  28. jimpopper

jimpopper

Presented with this scenario, I would do a paint over rust product to stop the corrosion in the short term. I'd follow that with rolled and brushed tractor enamel without hardener. I would scuff and buff as necessary to make it presentable. It would age quickly and require a minimum amount of down time. In a few years it would appear to be an old but cared for car which would be perfect for this one.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Ned Ludd likes this.
  29. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

I like patina. But FAUX patina is disgusting and shouldn't be allowed on the hamb should be a criminal offense

30. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You see a guy in old worn and dirty cloths you see a lazy guy who doesn`t have 2 cents to his name. I see a guy who just got off from a hard days work and ready to spend a dime on a good meal. If there is two similar cars sitting side by side and one is all fixed up and the other is unrestored. I gravitate to the unrestored one. It`s only original once.

Baumi, A Boner and ekimneirbo like this.