Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Patina or paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Pandora, Jul 29, 2020.

?
  1. Paint

68.8%
  2. Patina

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Moselli

Moselli

I agree with everyone....

2. bobscogin

bobscogin

I appreciate patina, but most current traditional builds are "over patina'd". If one built an A-V8 around 1940, just how much "patina" would a 10 to 12 year old Model A have had? Not near as much as I see on cars built to replicate those cars.

Bob

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Ned Ludd, jimgoetz, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Maybe some Por 15.......

4. I cannot wait until fads like faux "patina," flat black and rat rods finally fade into obscurity. But then again what abominal trend will take their places? I'm pushing 60 and probably will have plenty to piss and moan about to keep me entertained for years to come.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

No matter what anyone thinks about the finish, it’s one damned cool hot rod. I’d like to own it.
    I have a funny feeling that I’m about to find something similar when I start stripping the primer off of my ‘28.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think the "patina" fad thing is "fading"............:D

7. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Some people see beauty in patina, while others do not. I'm one of the ones who do.
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.25.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.25.03 PM.png

camcrusher, slv63, clunker and 2 others like this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys really missed the point. Of course there wasn't "patina" back in the late 40s/early 50s...what were referring to is what one of those pretty, (once shiny) early hot rods might look like in 2020 after 60-70 years of dry storage. Those early hot rods that managed to avoid a 1970s, '80s ,'90s re-do (paint, mags, sbc's, billet etc).

slv63, Cosmo49, clunker and 1 other person like this.
  9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems a good place to ask, should I paint my 39? It only needs a toolbox panel and some surface rust on the hood sides fixed. What would someone do in like 1964? I'm so confused. And yeah, go ahead and call this sardonic input rude too. Except even though I'd only be 6 in 64 I remember well through family pics and memories what the ol man and his pals were doing. I remember being 7 years old and learning how to help dad bleed brakes after I squirted brake fluid in his face by accident (!). When time and $$$$ was an issue for a father of 5 there was at least Earl Scheib and pinstriping. "So what Jocko, what's that got to do with Jeff's Model A?" Cuz he asked. Cuz it seems he respects tradition. Cuz tradition isn't rust and rust ain't patina. No matter how hard I look there's no finish code in the Ford history books for rust. Can't find bird shit either so there's that for those who think "original bird shit from the barn" has value too. Yeah, yeah, I know shit wasn't mentioned. Maybe I should say how badass the car really is. Cuz it is. It's also a clean sheet of paper for Jeff and it seems he was asking "print or cursive" in a manner of speaking. If you look in again Jeff, hey bruh, nice hot rod...:cool:

10. :D:D:D

loudbang, ekimneirbo and Gman0046 like this.
  11. 392

I’ll throw one more out like this really needs it.
    I’m going to bet at least half or more of guys say paint would change there mind or would have changed there build once the dollars started flowing for that paint job and metal work involved for there painted ride. That doesn’t include a half assed primer job that counts as a paint job. Today’s dollars to convert a rough body into a slick ride is very expensive and doesn’t equate to straight up fun unless your good at and have all the tools etc. And with more important things in life I’ll say what’s wrong with. Older rides in pics is hard to compare to 50-75 years after that and is not apples to apples. I’ve had several slick rides but until my 87 year old ride was brought back to life as is, I never understood why going that deep into something was more important than enjoying a hot rod. No doubt a thread will surface again with same answers or opinions

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  12. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Drive it like you stole it. You ain’t going to keep it parked in the field so how is it going to rot? It looks good, leave it. Build another if you want purdy.

besides, if you paint it you will burn the paint off the doors with those headers

hotrodjack33 and DigDugMd like this.
  13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

What, no option for primer?! :D

Max Gearhead likes this.
  14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I think the thing is that when you have a large group of cars, anything you do (not just paint) becomes somewhat less noticeable. When you are just out driving somewhere by yourself, it gets more attention. When I go too the SR Nationals there are a kazillion 32 Ford's. I love them, but when anything becomes common there is less appreciation. Some styles come and go, and others seem to stay in Vogue forever.

15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Have we opened up Pandora's box?:rolleyes:

Thor1, ekimneirbo and hotrodjack33 like this.
  16. DigDugMd

DigDugMd

Yank that old under-powered engine out, drop in a high torque fuel injected 383 cubic inch small block Chevy with a 700r4 tranny for great fuel mileage.... put some big -n- little Chip Foose billet wheels on it, some leather seats from a late model SUV, a polished chrome Ididit steering column and a Mustang II front end and you'll have a perfect rod for less than $60k. Oh, and leave the body alone just to piss everyone off.

Seriously though, If I have a choice of my comfortable ole worn and dirty tee shirt, a spiffy new sport shirt or an Armani suit..... I'll take the old tee and to hell with what anyone else thinks. It's your thing, do what you wanna do.

Baumi, hotrodjack33 and Jeff Pandora like this.
  17. wvenfield

wvenfield

I won't paint my car initially not because I like rust and flaws. I will do it because I don't want to spend the money. If someone wants to donate a paint job, I will gladly accept.

18. Budget36

Budget36

I need a license plate that says 'IH8RUST'

Ned Ludd, loudbang and Jeff Pandora like this.
  19. mountainman2

mountainman2

For those in the "drive the wheels off of it" crowd that advise to not paint it.........A few of you are honest enough to admit that $$$$ is the motivating factor. But many of you try to justify a rusty body with the excuse that you would be afraid to drive a car with a decent paint job because of rock chips, parking lot dings, scratches from little kids, etc. What's to fear? You have already admitted/shown that you don't give a shit what your car looks like so some minor blemish on a paint job shouldn't keep you up at night. :rolleyes:

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

So if he paints it with Rustoleum and a brush is that still considered “paint”? or is that still unacceptable to the paint crowd?

Asking for a friend... :p

Baumi, nochop, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Hell ya, unless you can find me personalized plates from 1954 that say the same thing?

Lemme know how that goes.

22. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

boy howdy you can say that again

loudbang likes this.
  23. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

that the plan paved and dirt roads live free and drive hard

bchctybob and clunker like this.
  24. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

bchctybob and Callmaker like this.
  25. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

26. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

15,000.00 paint job not going to happen we're talking a gallon of Rust-oleum and a spray bottle

bchctybob likes this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

Well, I think in defense of the post you replied to, the OP seems to be able to paint his car, and wants to know whether to leave it in rust, or paint it.

Now assuming (I could be wrong) he has the spare $$ to paint it, primer it, etc...then he should.

28. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

bchctybob and Budget36 like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

I think protecting the metal with what ever means possible is just good practice, what means you use to protect the metal may not be "forever", but still protects it "until".

What I hate seeing is a paint job done last year and then distressed to try to look like it was done 60 years ago, then bare some spots, let it rust over and clear coat it.

That seems like a lotta work to make something ugly, in my opinion.

30. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

I am leaning towards paint but not until I drive the hell out of it i am thinking Gray ?