Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine mounts for early Olds into ‘51 chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J_J2, Jul 25, 2020.

1. J_J2

J_J2

Sorry about the stupid question, I’ve been trying to find mounts but have come up goose eggs. I found plenty for small block and big block Chevy but nothing for early olds. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. J_J2

J_J2

IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1216.JPG

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't remember that anyone ever made such an animal; maybe someone here knows. Lacking that, I have a set of Hurst mounts to put an Oldsmobile Rocket into a '40-'48 Ford (which is the standard front configuration for all Hurst mounts). Since the hard part of the Old front mount is getting them bolted to the engine, fabricating a set of brackets to accept the standard Ford biscuit mounts and the the Olds Hurst mount would be the simplest way to accomplish this. The Hurst mounts not only bolt to the front of the engine, but each one has a larger bolt that goes in from the side that really ties things together. Unfortunately, these mounts are not easy to find, either. It took me over a year to find a set that I could afford. If you want, I could post a picture of of my mounts and you can get some idea of what it will take to make your own. In the dim recesses of my memory, I think I remember that Hurst may have offered a set of brackets for an early Cherolet that accepted these mounts, but I'm not sure.

Of course, I may be all wet and the exact thing you need exists out there, but I don't remember ever having seen one.

Hnstray, warbird1 and J_J2 like this.
  4. flatford39

flatford39

Is there a big difference between Chevy frames and Olds frames from that era? Maybe you could adapt Olds motor mounts to the Chevy frame.

J_J2 likes this.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Hurst made frame brackets for your Chevy. Model AC-50. Get some of those and either Hurst or Hurst knockoff Olds motor brackets and youre set.

20190722_180443.jpg

loudbang and J_J2 like this.
  6. J_J2

J_J2

Thank you all for the replies, I’ll start looking around to see if I can find a set of Hurst mounts, or a force comes to worse I’ll try to find some photos and maybe fab some up thanks again!

7. J_J2

J_J2

Update: found a guy on eBay who makes reproduction Hearst motor mounts for the early Olds!

8. 52HardTop

52HardTop

J_J2 likes this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You got some steering box clearance to deal with, and the emergency brake setup has to go. Probably going to end up with no firewall ribs ...

Hnstray and J_J2 like this.
  10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Looks like a pretty simple affair to fab up the frame side of the equation.

20200725_145842.jpg

11. J_J2

J_J2

I don’t know if there are huge differences other than engine, I’ll look into that

12. J_J2

J_J2

It looks like something maybe even I could do LOL

13. J_J2

J_J2

Hnstray, kidcampbell71 and warbird1 like this.
  14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can't imagine where the firewall ribs, would be any interference issue at all. Since these cars had straight sixes, going to a big V8 like the Olds is still two cylinders shorter, and I doubt those ribs are high enough to take up all that space. Likely the engine bay will have tons of room for the Olds without firewall mods.
    Steering box is a push-pull setup for the pitman arm and drag link, so not an issue either. But the idler dead front center will require the rear sump to be far enough back to clearance it. And the engine high enough above it to allow the leading edge of the pan to be above the idler.

J_J2 likes this.
  15. J_J2

J_J2

IMG_1250.JPG

Got my eBay motor mounts today look to be very very good quality.

Hnstray, bchctybob, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  16. those hurst mounts are nice, I have a set for the 324 to go into my 32 sedan. But they will not work with the frame mounts on a 49 to 54 chevy. those only work with small or big chevy and side mounts. the hurst mounts for the early olds bolt to the timing cover and the block, you'll have to fab up some type of frame mount most likely. just get a set of universal biscuit type frame mounts. cut and weld as needed.

J_J2 likes this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Two good reasons. First, if you want a Chevy body with an Olds motor just buy an Olds 88. 1949 and 1950 used the Chevy body, 51 up used the larger B body. So buy a 49 or 50 Olds 88 and you have the same thing with the advantage of the heavier Olds chassis and drive train, brakes etc.
    Second reason, it is a very tough swap. The engine compartment is made for a narrow straight six engine, period. It is possible to squeeze in a small block Chevy, the Olds is considerably larger and heavier.
    I would forget the Olds engine and use a Chevy. A later 235 or 261 six is a bolt in, and would be my choice. The small block V8 is popular, and will fit with some fenageling. Anything bigger requires serious chassis work.

J_J2 likes this.
  18. J_J2

J_J2

My dad put an Olds in his ‘49, my uncle told me he used the Hurst mounts, and it was a pretty easy install, he helped him do it.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Good to know. I stand corrected. Why don't you ask your dad or uncle how they did it?
    While you are at it do us a solid and take some pictures, and give a complete description of what you do, to help the next person make this a "pretty easy" job.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  20. Swing that rascal up in there and start making the areas that need removing and get it nested in there on blocks and jacks where you like it then start on mounts. It's been dome before....there's no magic way though...you just have to work your way through it. Even the most skilled have to get the body and the engine and trans close to each other. You probably won't get it done with that Olds setting on the floor.

21. if your using the stock chevy front suspension, I would look into putting new springs up front. That olds is pretty heavy. In my 51 chevy I sold a few years ago, it had a small chevy swapped into it, and the front springs were trash. After a little research I ended up going with a new set of MOOG springs part number 8542. they are for a 70's mustang II or pinto front end, but have the same spring diameter with a spring rate a little stiffer than the stock rate, but are almost 2 inches shorter that the stock springs. I ended up cutting a coil off of mine to get the ride height I wanted. That lowered it about 3 inches over stock. With the olds motor, I bet the stock length of the MOOG 8542 spring would have it set just right. My 51 rode great, I put shorter shocks and shorter bump stops in it and it rode like a Caddy. best of all, the Moog 8542 springs were about 75 bucks, instead of 200 for some drop spring that is probably the same thing any way.

bchctybob, J_J2 and 302GMC like this.
  22. J_J2

J_J2

Unfortunately my dad passed last August, my uncle is almost 80 and doesn’t really remember many details. But I will be taking pictures as I go once I get started.

23. The idea of finding an Olds frame would sound easy. only the Olds used coil springs and the Floor would be modified and the frame construction is way different resulting in new Body mounts.
    So back to laying the engine in the bay and facing up some mounts and use the biscuit mounts to rest them on.
    Earlier Olds and Pontiacs used different frames

J_J2 likes this.
  24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have enough faith in Hurst that I have to believe that if the sold the engine adapters and frame brackets for a particular application (as they do for this one), it will work. If the early Olds and early Chevy have the same body, wouldn't that mean the the frames would be quite similar in configuration which would also tend to make this an easy swap?

As to getting a complete Olds, try finding a decent Chevrolet these days, much less a '49-'50 Olds 88.

25. J_J2

J_J2

That’s for sure! I’m gathering parts right now and waiting for my hand to heal up should be another six weeks or so and I’m gonna get after it.

302GMC likes this.
  26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't see in the picture so I'll ask : Do those mounts have the provision for the bigger bolt that goes in sideways?

J_J2 likes this.
  27. J_J2

J_J2

Yes they do I just didn’t get it in the picture

28. J_J2

J_J2

I’ll probably get flamed for this, but I’m actually building an Olds powered gasser, i’ll be replacing the front end with parallel leafs and a straight axle.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  29. Oh man if you doing that and dumping the stock suspension, you just made putting that olds in way easier. The steering and crossmember are the prohibitive things in doing and engine swap in that car. I'd take the stock front end out, mock you motor up and build another crossmember that bolts to the bottom flange of the chevy frame that mates up to the hurst mounts up front, and another crossmember that would mount up to the mounts on the Olds lower block/Bell housing. That would make it way stiffer with no added weight. A vega box mount plate welded to the drivers frame rail and a GM/Saginaw 525 steeing box make a great cross steer setup in these cars too.

J_J2 likes this.
  30. J_J2

J_J2

Thanks for the info! Thats pretty much the plan, this is my first attempt at one of these. I have an idea of what I need to do but that doesn’t always transfer to reality.

Nailhead Jason likes this.