Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Patina or paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Pandora, Jul 29, 2020.

?
  1. Paint

68.8%
  2. Patina

32.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jeff Pandora

Jeff Pandora
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mojave

OK here it is I See patina (controlled Rust and Wear ) some I like some I don't how much Paint need to be present to to be considered Patina If any ..
    The Reason I Ask Is I just Acquired a Roadster off the HAMB it looks great and I like however I would also like to paint it you know make it mine own what do you Think 1928 ford roadster 02.jpg

Lil'Alb, v8flat44, deadbeat and 6 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Drive it until you get tired of how it looks, then paint it. Pretty simple.

Sent from my Trimline

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s rust or paint... I’ll take paint

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is nothing like nice patina....and that is nothing like nice patina!
    "I see a rust car and I want it painted black"

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Get the roller out .:p

6. TCTND

TCTND

"Patina" is an overused word. Certainly a car with some wear and tear that displays it's history is very cool and worth preserving. Fake patina is just another fashion statement which is OK if you like that sort of thing. Having said that, I'm through with high end paint jobs because they cost a fortune and make the car less fun to drive. I do appreciate and love looking at perfect paint but I don't want to worry about chips and scratches. My '33 will retain it's nicely applied satin black that's easily touched up without experiencing major trauma. Just my opinion.

Jibs, wulf powis, MO54Frank and 3 others like this.
  7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Honest patina is a RARE thing. It's a very small window between a patina body and a rusty hulk. I'd wear that patina like a badge of honor.
    Park that roadster next to a similar '29 with a shiny paint job at any show and the crowd will be checking yours out...it's more interesting...anybody can have paint.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The basic idea behind paint is to protect the metal, to keep it from rusting. If you like the look of rust and faded / oxidized paint, at least do something to keep it from actually rusting away.

Ned Ludd, nunattax, 1oldtimer and 4 others like this.
  9. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

That's a neat little car. But, a little too much rust for me. I like the satin black look, but that's just my opinion. Do as you want. Your car.

Jeff Pandora, nunattax and 56don like this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have a buddy named "Rusty". We started calling him "patina" because he is always so neat and groomed.
    There's a huge difference between patina and rust.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say make it your own by putting a bunch of miles on it.

12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that´s a way cool roadster and I´d leave it as it is. You can paint it later on if you prefer , until then you can drive the wheels off of it without worrying about dings and scratches.

redoxide, 34 GAZ and DIYGUY like this.
  13. Nah man, "patina" is for statues and copper roofs.

[​IMG]

Nah, I'm just foolin'. :p

Spend some time with the car. It'll tell you what it wants. ;)

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Personally if you can’t tell what color it is from a few feet away because its mostly rust, it’s just rusty. Old paint that’s lost it’s gloss or worn through in a number of places is patina to my way of thinking. If you like the “just dragged it out of the field and got ‘er runnin’ look fine, but I would ask myself, “what would a 16 year old on a gas station budget do.” Probably sand it and paint it using enamel and a borrowed spray outfit. Then he and his buddies would lay out some flames or scallops.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. loudbang

loudbang

Well you certainly "opened the box" with this one. :rolleyes:

KitsBeach, deadbeat, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  16. grumpy65

grumpy65

Yoda says..jpg

Where in the process do you think you're at ?
    o_O

slayer, clem, 210superair and 17 others like this.
  17. BJR

BJR

I am in the paint group. Very few cars have a patina that make it look like an original survivor. Most look like a rusty car with the owner too cheep or lazy to paint it correctly.

18. you need to photograph it better. early morning or late day for the best light. just looks rusty in that picture with the shadows.

loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wait a minute..."don't be a RECTANGLE" ???

dmar836, Cliff Ramsdell, clem and 6 others like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-7-30_5-12-48.png
    Hello,

Your hot rod is a good starting point, but the rusty look is awful. It looks like too much time has passed and you don’t care about your cool roadster, anymore. (not that it was your fault as you just purchased it) It needs some work and a good paint job. That look shows a hot rod past its prime and needs help. Once done, the roadster will look very good. Now, it is the accessories that will make or break the new look.

Jnaki

The only way to keep it this rusty look and not worry about it is to race in the dirt drags and beat the crap out of it. I am not so sure you bought it for that purpose. So, it needs a new direction and some hot rod care and adulation.

Black is old style, but difficult to maintain. Red will get the looks, (red with black wires, a good look) but not as old style as you might want. Perhaps, the photoshop people can help out with a myriad of colors.

As always, the choice is yours and the style of hot rod has to fit into your reality.

21. 2935ford

2935ford

I'm with Squirrel on this one. Just drive the wheels off it for now.
    And what TCTND said.......I'm also done with paint for the same reasons.

22. squirrel

squirrel

I think we should turn this thread into a "how to photograph your car" thread.

Lighting is one of the important things about photography. If you don't think about the lighting at all, you end up with pictures like this. If you do think about it, then you'll walk over to the other side of the car to take the picture, or move the car, either to get the light on the side you want to show, or to find a big shady area where the lighting is softer, or until the sun is going down.

Framing, background, aspect ratio, border, are also all important, and they were mostly done well on this photo. Good job! Although it's usually a good idea, if there's only going to be one photo, to take it at an angle, showing a bit of the front of the car.

Carry on....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    49ratfink, Tman, tb33anda3rd and 3 others like this.
  23. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came from the land of rust worms and you can hear them chewing on your car at night! A rusty old car looks like you just don't give a shit about it. Patina was a word gold chainers came up with because the word rust offended them! Even in the old days money was spent on going fast first, then if there was enough coin left over a hot rod got painted. I don't ever recall somebody saying "I think I'll just let the bare metal continue to rust. It really looks good that way!"

24. adam401

adam401

That car with a nice neatly brushed on semi gloss black would look real sharp.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Cool looking rod I like a lot so far,looks like it deserves shiny paint too be super cool ..
    It will last longer,be much EZer to clean a gain respect. I vote for shiny paint.
    Patina is another word for rot.

26. Boatmark

Boatmark

If it were mine it would get painted in some form. But its yours, so the only opinion that matters is yours.

I think the word Patina has been bastardized along the way. To me Patina is illustrated by a car like HRP's 32' sedan. A paint job that has aged and worn a bit. It has taken on character with age and use. I like that. Left out in a field for fifty years then clear coated to "preserve" the rot and destruction - I just don't see the appeal. I don't call that Patina. Just looks to me like you don't care. And now it seems like a contest to see how crappy it can be. Why anyone would want to replicate this with paint is beyond me. But to each his own.

I also never understood this excuse that "if I paint it nice, I can't drive it". Where do you drive? My OT daily drivers are both black, and both worth more than any Hot Rod I've owned. I drive them everywhere and they are not destroyed. I admit I am the guy that parks farther out in the parking lot to avoid door dings, but hell I need the exercise anyway. Show car paint is gawd awful expensive, but most of us don't own show quality cars. But decent quality drive quality paint isn't all that bad, and if you're cheap like me you can teach yourself to do something livable in your garage. Even just primer. I think its just an excuse for don't want to spend, and not willing to put in the labor. I mean look at the lacquer on PGAN's sedan. That car is gorgeous and came out of his garage. Yes, lacquer is high maintenance, but its doable. Even using modern paint I can generally cut and buff out most of my mistakes. If you can teach yourself to build the car, you can teach yourself to paint the car.

Ok, soapbox closed.

27. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I'm on Boatmark's soapbox. :)
    - rust is not patina
    - it's entirely possible to have nice paint on a car and still be able to drive it
    - in the end, it's your choice

Ned Ludd, 2bubbas and loudbang like this.
  28. rusty valley

rusty valley

i say drive it. if you have a fancy paint job, where do you set your wrenches down when fixin it?

redoxide, devilleish, MMM1693 and 3 others like this.
  29. Like, yeah, daddy-o! Only thing worse than a square is rectangle, man.

Oh god! Why am I talking like this? I have a sudden urge to put on a beret, dark round sunglasses, grow a pointed goatee, and snap my fingers as I read really bad poetry set to jazz that nobody can tap their feet to!

Wait! Do beatniks get banned around here or just beaten up? :p

Deuces and hotrodjack33 like this.
  30. badvolvo

badvolvo

To make it your own, I think you have to do what YOU want.
    "controlled rust" that's funny.
    "anybody can have paint" - not as easy as you can have rust.

superbowl01 and bchctybob like this.