Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40-41 Ford Pickup Seat Choices

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Looking at my 41 pickup, I've decided to ditch the slab stock seat.
    I've looked at different threads on here, but have a couple of different options for your opinion. I would rather not buy another seat.

1. Nice set of low back tan leather conversion van rear seats mounted on 40 seat platform.
    2. New black leather stock 40 coupe seat mounted directly to pickup floor.
    . The coupe seat dimensions are ok for the pickup cab, if my tape is correct..

I'm leaning toward the coupe seat if for no reason other than its period appearance.

Anybody ever done either of these or seen it done? Or is it down to try and fit?

Thanks!
    Bill

2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The problem is, as I found out, the cab on a 40 (39-46) pinches hard at the front door edge. I have a bench seat from a Nissan truck that sits on a shop made riser and had to cut and shape the seat base.
    The wife's soon to be flatbed 40 has a set of I think third seats from an Lincoln Navigator that will sit on the seat riser and they hit the door
    The other thing is if you are tall, you need to have a thin seat back to give you more leg room as the cabs are tight.

hotrodA and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. agshelby

agshelby

My stock seat in the '41 truck is heavily stuffed with cotton batting. Due to the overstuffed seat and the rake - I sit in a leaning forward position and there is no lumbar support. It gets really uncomfortable after an hour or so of driving. What I am planning is to replace the batting with a foam base that has a better seating contour and some lumbar support. It should be a straight forward project and will retain the original seat base and frame.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to have a '40 1 1/2 ton flatbed that I put a Chrysler mini van seat in. The under seat gas tank had been removed. I made some simple brackets to mount the seat directly to the floor boards. The seat fit well but it wasn't all that comfortable. On my '39 I initially had the factory seat recovered. It was OK but not all that comfortable. I finally bit the bullet and bought a Glide Engineering seat frame at the LA Roadster show several years ago. I had a local upholsterer supply the foam and sew up the cover. The end result was 100% better than the stock seat. IMO. Not cheap but worth it, again, IMO. IMG_3837.JPG IMG_3842.JPG IMG_3913.JPG

typo41 and agshelby like this.

5. agshelby

agshelby

The negative with the stock seat is having to take it out to get to the under seat storage and the primitive adjustment. To adjust the seat I have to move the seat bottom to align the pegs in the seat riser to different holes in the wooden frame. I've had to get under the seat at the side of the road for tools and it is a real pain to take the entire seat out.

After consideration I may go to a Bengel's seat (he did a good job on my '32 roadster) or a Glide seat so that I can get better adjustment and have a flip-up for under seat access.

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

But you are one of those rich Orchard Owners we hear about,,,,NOT

7. Thanks for the input. Still looking.

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Take a tape measure to one of your local U pull it’s.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'd go with a Glide seat

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Says the guy with how many projects and a salt flat car too boot? Plus a job as compared to us retired old farts.:cool:

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

NEW BLK LEATHER BKT SEATS--2001 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
    Here's what I put in the 36 Fordy and they work great... at least for the last 10 years!
    IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2232.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    I mounted the stock seats to 2X3 tubing I think to get them up. Upholstery guy covered holes on tops of seats to hide the old holes that held the headrests.
    Comfortable and leather... and I bought the pair in York for $250 cash in 2008 or 2009. A garbage truck cut a corner short and ran across the front of the little car and totaled it!
    Just an idea.
    Good luck,
    Al
    PS the truck
    IMG_5348.JPG

charleyw, exterminator and catdad49 like this.
  12. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

I put a 33 ford coupe seat in my 36 ford truck .

13. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

Toyota Pickup seat, with the center cut out for the shifter, even slides back and forth. Sets on top of the stock metal riser. Fits perfect

Hamtown Al likes this.
  14. 4speed411

4speed411

Found some NOS Dodge van seats that are tapered on the seat sides, fit great in the '41 IMG_20190713_184936572.jpg

Hamtown Al likes this.
  15. Thanks!
    Nobody used a coupe seat? Guess I'll be plowin' new ground.

16. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

I owned a 41 truck & used a glide seat It was a nice seat but I couldn't get it back far enough for me to be comfortable on a longer trip I now have a 36 truck & picked up a seat out of a Mopar van & for me it was the same way Looked good but couldn't get it back far enough Talked to my upholstery guy & he said he could build a seat that would give me more room out of 3/4 plywood & heavy foam The cab on a 36 is 1 1/2 " shorter but I feel like I have more room in it that I did the 41 & the back is more comfortable I built the riser out of 2 x 6 & he did the rest I think yours already has a riser in it

17. Yes, 40-41s have a riser, but it can be removed if needed to mount directly to the floor.

18. These are some really early Hundy (the Koran car not sure of the spelling) seats that I put in in a '40 pickup. They were the right width and the front to back length was short enough to make getting in and out easy, also the back was adjustable. They were really comfortable seats. If you can get passed the contemporary style.

forty005 - Copy.JPG

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  19. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

My 36 was a 1 1/2 ton It had the gas tank under the seat I cut the top out of the gas tank & was going to use it as the riser & storage I made the floor flat & removed the tank & made my own riser That way I could make it whatever height I wanted I lowered it some from the gas tank height I think lowering & moving the back of the seat in combination gave me more room

20. Nice "Hundy" seats especially with that red piped upholstery job!

21. Thks. Wasn't sure of the spelling, the S. Korean car. The piping, steering wheel and the windshield trim were all red metalflake. the guy that upholstered the seats had some left over red metal flake vinyl from a boat seat job. The Superior steering wheel a friend of mine pickup for me at the Pomona swap meet in CA . All that red was just enough contrast

22. indaworx40

indaworx40
    from New York

That's pretty much what I did with mine. I kept the original seat bottom and had an upholstery guy cut down the springs a little. I made a new plywood back using original seatback as a template. Then covered it with 2" medium density foam. Cheap solution - pretty good support and it gives a little more space. Under seat access is still a pain with that primitive system. A Glide seat is on the wishlist though.