Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electronic to mechanical speedometer converters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bart13, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Bart13

Bart13

I've been having a hell of a time lately with trying to solve my T5/speedo issue and have decided that converting my S10 tailhousing to an older model is just too much time and effort. At around $400 for a pre-88 or $350 for a modified post-88 housing and then all the assorted small parts, gears, clips, mods to the shaft, etc it starts to add up.
    So I'm considering an electric to mechanical output converter, so far the only two I have found are the Abbott Industries Cable-X at around $350 which isn't waterproof and by some reports a little noisy, or the Dakota Digital ECD-100 which is apparently waterproof and claimed to be reasonably quite in operation, at around $300. I'd be very interested to know if there are any others out there on the market and also feedback on the Dakota Digital ECD-100, there's plenty of online info about the Cable-X but nothing that I can find for their competitors product.
    http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ct_id=886/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd886.htm

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. demmals7ytriht

demmals7ytriht
    from Speer lane

Im following, having the same issues.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. I have a cable x for sale. PM me to discuss purchase.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Take a look at GPS based speedometers.........very accurate, plenty of features.....easy to install.

Ray

ekimneirbo likes this.

5. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I have not herd anything about the Dakota Digital unit but have had two cars in the shop running the Cable-X and they seemed to work well. Smooth needle movement and no problem with excess noise.

6. speedometer app. on cell phone works great and it free!

scotty t likes this.
  7. I'd like to know too....bttt

8. Some T4s have the same tail housing and you can likely buy the whole thing for a couple hundred bucks. I had one a few years ago out of an '86 S10.

9. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

I went with GPS speedo, no more hassle and very accurate ;-)

Ask PAul at egauge.com, very helpfull person

10. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

I can convert your electronic t5 s10 housing to mechanical. PM for details.
    IMG_20140419_093634_086.jpg

11. Do a tech thread!;)

12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cable x converters don't make noise, well none that I can hear . Work excellent , but be prepared to spend an hour or so calibrating it and peering intently at the small dip switches and writing down your sequence. Done once and forget.

13. I've seen you advertise in CL for trans conversions. You live in Mankato? what do you charge for the conversion?, You should advertise on the HAMB, could be a worthwhile side business.

14. TinShed

TinShed

Anybody have feedback on Dakota digital unit? Is it easier to calibrate?

15. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

16. I have a 94-95 BW T5 in my 1951 3100. Need to convert to mechanical speedometer. you can email [email protected]--Thanks Bill

17. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Email sent.

18. Rockchip

Rockchip

I'm using the Speedhut Calibrator sold by Redline Gauge works, Santa Clarita CA to convert electronic signal from my T5 to 34 Dodge mechanical speedo. Works well except for a little needle bounce. $380 gets it to your door in CA.

19. George Roetzer

George Roetzer

Kato, Love your stuff. Do you still do the T5 electric to mechanical speedo conversions.
    Just joined this site to try and get a hold of you, George, [email protected]