Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***July 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Four Is A Good Number***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 1, 2020.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

2. Open drive shaft ,no torque tube?

Old Dawg likes this.
  3. lostdutchman

lostdutchman

With an open drive line the pinion wants to rotate up under acceleration and down on braking The torque tube kind of works like a lever to keep that from happening
    The picture is one I found hear on the hamb not mine

4. Open drive triangulation link, from experience, not sufficient.
    Don't ask, hairy ride.

J

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  5. Gary in MN

Gary in MN

25mercury, SOHC Fronty and a Schubert block that is the stuff dreams are made of. Any idea what oil pan you will use with the V8 trany. Gary in MN

6. railcarmover

railcarmover

Ford tied the radius rods and torque tube together at a trunnion,allowing the rear suspension to oscillate freely. Heim joints with two or three different anchoring points cause a bind.Worked on an automatic transmission conversion that had no torque rod to transmit axle roll..the radius rods worked loose,the axle rolled 20 degrees on acceleration..the cat who did it said he had a bunch of conversions to do,asked me if I wanted in on the deal...nope..

7. Too many build split wishbones and turn the rear end into a ginormous sway bar. Not of the faint of heart.
    The set up pictured will work nicely as it will not bind. What I am referring to is the third link attachment points (may need more reinforcement and possibly larger link). I know this from experience, breaking the top link, then the drivers side radius rod and turning the pass side into a rainbow. It happened pretty quickly, in about the first 50 ft of a pass.
    The new setup is quite different.................John

Old Dawg and GuyW like this.
  8. poshdbs

poshdbs

Block home from Bob. A bit of a mock up going on here.

Attached Files:

Jet96, Fabber McGee, GuyW and 5 others like this.
  9. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

10. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Check Hot Rod Works item # SKU-1153 , Good picture of bar on open rear app. for 35 to 40 rear.. made mine up to use with reinforce stock rear rods. Adjustable tie rod link kit from. Speedway

11. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

I'm hoping/thinking that that puny 'bar' is not taking the place of the torque tube !!

Old Dawg and Kiwi 4d like this.
  12. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this torque arm stuff is off topic . Acceleration and the puny bar “ might” be ok but stop in a hurry it will give up. Also with the radius rods joined how does the drive shaft fit in the picture.? Ok lowering the front pivot point will work to clear drive shaft, but will certainly screw up drive line angles to way less than ideal .

Old Dawg likes this.
  13. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

14. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

My radius rods hook under the transmission as the old did with a boat thrown. But I took it out for a test ride without this arm and twisted both of them up when I hit hard acceleration just try it on a Hill . Had to buy new radius raj and then add AA support under the bottom of the radius rods them stiffen him up Then at the torque arm double shown at rod works using 316 steel pieces on each end and I made up . So far it seems to be working. I'm running AT5 with a quick change rear in open draw a shaft.

Old Dawg likes this.
  15. railcarmover

railcarmover

The pivot point is key,it has to pivot smoothly,Ford put a trunnion the apex of the suspension triangle.Ford also used the driveline for rigidity,this allowed the use of a flexible frame,the frame is not designed to bear the full load of alignment and suspension,its more of a platform for the body.

Old Dawg likes this.
  16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i was just curious , as my little banger , open drive shaft (s-10) , is using after market wish bones as is my front . coil overs in rear with a pan hard bar . seems to be ok ...........

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

519D31A7-B4EF-4BE2-AA06-2D3007CCC5A8.jpeg
    Used 1/4” strap welded on the seam of a stock radius arm 15 years ago and never any issues. B engine with T-5, CRAGAR head puts out 59 HP at the rear wheels

Old Dawg, poshdbs and Dustyp489 like this.
  18. railcarmover

railcarmover

My next one will have coil overs and stabilizers on the rear,that system works well with an open driveshaft. I am going to box the rails too,the pan hard transmits load to the frame in a different way than ford designed. Going to keep my stock A chassis and running gear car as well,like the way a model a handles and rides.

Old Dawg likes this.
  19. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

Jet96 likes this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

** john i agree . seems like if rear rolled , it would crush the little link .... but ive told told i dont know crap .......... so go from there .............. steve

21. Steve,
    not to worry, there are a ton of "Old wives tales" on the web and unfortunately old cars are attracted to them.
    The upper link in the picture is in tension upon acceleration (the housing wants to rotate the top rearward)
    Braking is just the opposite, that would cause the link to compress.
    In the car I had a similar setup to this, at the drag strip it pulled hard on the rod and snapped it off, when that happened, the housing rolled back breaking the passenger side radius rod and bent the left on to a large arc.

The current setup is a '35 axle and brackets with spring over the axle housing (in "A" frame and spring)
    I made up the radius rods from 40-43 wishbones, welded to '35 brackets and then added 1/4" thk web on top of the arms and tied into the '35 brackets. These come together under the trans with heim joints. I no longer have the top link.

IMG_0454.JPG IMG_0452.JPG

Old Dawg likes this.
  22. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Those certainly look stout...

23. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I have been fighting my banger for 2 weeks now. Starving for fuel, idles great, revs great. Get in to go around the block and quits like it doesn’t want to leave the house. Replaced carb, fuel pump, bypassed filter, ran from a hose stuck in a gas can. Which has same gas from the tank. Hard to start, need to shoot starting fluid. I just noticed the two liquids in the fuel bowl. Water?
    I have been running this thing for a year and it all started when I took the driveshaft header off and put reds header on. I did leave it sit outside for a couple weeks and it rained, but tank is freshly painted and sealed with new cap. Got me baffled.
    69049D81-F146-4225-B05D-C4054785DD16.jpeg

Old Dawg likes this.
  24. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Yup, that's what water in gas system looks like , i.e.- gas floats on water, eh!
    I'd drain system, clean and put fresh fuel in and you should notice a change.in its running.

That clear sight bowl was a good idea on a model A.

Old Dawg likes this.
  25. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I took fuel pump line off and pumped a gallon out into a can. Fuel in bowl swirled around and cleared out, must have cleaned it out into the can. High idle for half hour and started a few times. Sure seems better, but not enough guts to take it on the street yet. Maybe tomorrow
    I will drain this and refill with fresh. This one kicked my ass

Old Dawg likes this.
  26. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

I had a similar trouble with my 31, low flow from the tank, used some compressed air blew back from the fuel line into the tank, better flow now, debris in the fuel tank, is my issue I think.
    Brendan

27. railcarmover

railcarmover

Fuel injection hose clamps don't cut into the line and clamp better..

[​IMG]

Old Dawg likes this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Those certainly look stout...
    yes it does look good . guess im lucky on my set up .
    thats water !!!!!!

29. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I will amazon some of those clamps

30. I would recommend not using amazon clamps
    Better quality is available with something like Earls brand
    You get what you pay for
    J

Old Dawg likes this.