Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects And So It Begins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Like a gift.....dropped right into my lap! I thought, what the hell....before I fall asleep, let me check ebay one more time...... and BAM....there it was! I'm frigging stoked! 80 friggin' bucks! Woo Hoooooo!!
    Rock Auto saved me over 100 bucks on the bearings and races.....they even had the double race for the pinion for 20+ bucks! Psyched!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ok....I’ve got 2 carriers. One is more worn and the bearings basically aren’t a press fit anymore, they’ve been replaced so many times or from just plain hackery, that I can knock them on with a mallet! The other shows minimal signs of wear, but is pitted from rust because it was left in the elements. I’m leaning towards the pitted one because of wear and bearing retention. What do you guys think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.....thanks fellas!
    First 3 is the worn one....
    Second 3 is the pitted one....( inner axle and spider gear surfaces are virtually unworn )

IMG_2421.JPG IMG_2420.JPG IMG_2423.JPG IMG_2413.JPG IMG_2424.JPG IMG_2417.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would use the worn one with Loctite bearing retainer and it could be knurled which will make it press fit again.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

I thought about the retaining compound, but my concern is the buggered bearing land not allowing proper ring gear lash. I should've got pics of the inside where the spiders and the back of the axle gears ride. They're a bit wallered out and I'm also concerned with axle end play.....I'll take some measurements. We DO have some heavy duty retaining compound too....
    I've got some decisions to make..... Thanks for the input Dick!!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Better pics of the ring and pinion I scored.....the Hotrod Gods were smiling upon me for that moment in time.....knowing my strapped budget, they put an $80 price tag on it too!! I’m a happy camper!! Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

brEad, Dick Stevens and loudbang like this.
  6. Piewagn

Piewagn

Cleaning things up and gathering the best parts out of the 3 differentials I had. Good axle housings already clearanced for the hydraulic backing plates and wheel cyls! My bearings came today from Rock Auto! The one double race that’s priced at 60+ bucks at the Ford parts suppliers was priced at $22 from RA! Like I said, the hotrods gods smiled upon me when I was feeling a little down.... IMG_2431.JPG IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2433.JPG

7. Piewagn

Piewagn

The axles I chose came out nice, these should work just fine! Picked my torque tube from the 3 I had and getting that ready for seal and bearing....have a real nice speedo housing and gear as well. Ring and pinion is supposed to be here tomorrow, then I can get rolling putting this thing together and hanging it for the last time.....hopefully!! Thanks for stickin’ around fellas, you all give me motivation to keep rollin’! IMG_2440.JPG IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2442.JPG IMG_2443.JPG

loudbang and simplestone like this.
  8. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ring and pinion came today.....pinion looks great....the ring gear has ONE tooth that’s worn/pitted. The boss, just today, has offered to pay for what I need to get this differential done; that includes a new ring and pinion! I told him we’ll look at these gears together tomorrow and make a decision. What do you guys think about THIS ring and pinion? Would you use it in something? Thanks fellas!! IMG_2444.JPG IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2445.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would have to be desperate to use it with that pitting, I would gratefully accept your bosses offer and thank him profusely!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Piewagn

Piewagn

Let me dig up the invoice treb and I’ll post a picture of it.....

loudbang likes this.
  12. Piewagn

Piewagn

I think I am going to take him up on his offer....but that means the trade off for the cylinder heads he was gonna get....
    Although, I do have a feeling he’ll spring for those anyway! He said “you’ve got a fairy godfather that wants to help”......he’s not just my boss, he owns the company!
    Thanks for your input Dick.....

brEad and loudbang like this.
  13. Piewagn

Piewagn

Here ya go treb!
    4x 28156 bearing
    2x 28317 cone
    1x 28314XD Double cone/race
    Type the numbers into RA’s search feature and they’ll come up....

IMG_2451.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well, while waiting on some things to finish up the diff, I started getting my brakes together....those brake shoe retainer clips are a pain in the ass! Anyone know an easy way to get those suckers installed??
    I’ve also brought home some homework for the weekend....I’ll be setting my pinion preload and prepping and painting the end bells and torque tube.....that should keep me busy.....enjoying your weekend fellas! Adjustments.JPG IMG_2467.JPG

kidcampbell71, loudbang and brEad like this.
  15. Piewagn

Piewagn

Set my pinion preload. Spec call for 20 in/lbs. With a thin layer of gear oil, rotation starts at spec and maintains 18-20 in/lbs throughout rotation. I’m calling it done.... IMG_2469.JPG IMG_2470.JPG IMG_2472.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  16. I don't see any sign of that lock washer that goes between the two nuts.

loudbang and Piewagn like this.
  17. Piewagn

Piewagn

Well, the lock washer and jam nut went on after I finished up setting the preload.....just didn't get a pic....

loudbang likes this.
  18. Piewagn

Piewagn

Everyone can sleep well tonight....even went fore and aft with the washer tabs....:D:D IMG_2480.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  19. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Nice job. When I did mine, I really enjoyed learning how the Banjo rear works and goes together.

Atwater Mike, Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  20. Shutt

Shutt

I installed one like that with 3 pitted teeth and a galled bearing; had trouble patterning it and it whined from 40-50. Replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Aaron! Definitely a different experience than all those bearing replacement jobs I did in front diffs of GM K series trucks when I worked at the dealer. They were a breeze....
    This one is repeated assembly and disassembly.....I'll be able to do these blindfolded by the time I'm done.....

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Aaron D. and loudbang like this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

Sourced different stuff from an old friend I haven't seen in a while and replaced all the bearings. Just like that, he pops up outta nowhere last evening while I was jerkin' off in the garage...I'm tellin' ya, The Hotrod Gods looked out for me on this one!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    brEad, loudbang and rusty valley like this.
  23. Piewagn

Piewagn

FINALLY!!! Everything came out sweet! All bearing preloads, the pattern was spot on with .006” lash!
    Happy camper here....thanks fellas! IMG_2489.JPG

24. loudbang

loudbang

One BIG STEP finished. :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Piewagn

Piewagn

Oh...you bet LB! I can get to hangin' and plumbing the brakes when this goes in! I'm itchin' to get to the body. But the next biggie is the engine clean up and inspection. But, I suspect that to go smoothly....it was a running engine that just came out of a driving car when I bought it..... Famous last words huh? :D

brEad and loudbang like this.
  26. Piewagn

Piewagn

Got all the brakes assembled....Looking for park brake hardware, or I may plumb some type of hydraulic lock lever or something.....

Book says to insert speedo gear with gear end towards the rear...if I do, the snap ring groove is not exposed...I checked witness marks on the other drive shafts I have and it looks like gear side was towards trans....I don’t remember how they came off....any input on this?? IMG_2492.JPG Adjustments.JPG

27. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

28. Piewagn

Piewagn

loudbang likes this.
  29. Piewagn

Piewagn

loudbang likes this.
  30. Piewagn

Piewagn

Paint will be dry by morning then I’m ready to hang it! Thank God.....only ate up about 3 weeks! Hopefully things will hit cruise control for a while now, we shall see.....thanks for stoppin’ by fellas!! IMG_2493.JPG