Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Louisville, going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kyhotrod, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To me, It’s not an age thing at all... I’m just not into those big ass fairground type shows. I like smaller, more personal affairs...

it’s a thing of taste and not a thing of right and wrong...

2. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

We have been to every N.S.R.A nats since 1977. We won't be going this year.

47ragtop and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Different people enjoy different things and that's good. I never use the word "awsum", but honestly I have to say that I find the Nationals to be an "awsum" event. I get to see so many cars that are exceptional. I'm not talking about the ones displayed inside, but the sheer volume of exceptional cars surrounding the buildings. I see so many things......details and ideas, not just whole cars. I have to take my camera with me because I could never remember them all. I save the pics and organize them so as I finish my 49 pickup or get going on a 32 cpe, I can look at the details and choose the best ideas. I can pick up catalogs and look at and purchase from a myriad number of vendors. This year I had hoped to strike a deal on a 32 body. It's like Disney World for much older children........

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The NATS is on my bucket list. It`s a bit further than a 10 minute drive. More like 10 + hours. But I feel like I need to take a pre 49 model. Kind of like taking a 32 to the Leadsleds. Just doesn`t seem right to me.

5. A Boner

A Boner

It was way more fun when it was a different city every year, but that was a long time ago!

Jibs, 40ragtopdown, da34guy and 4 others like this.
  6. Yup, only big event I care to hit is BTT50S. if given the chance to hit the Salt or Louisville at the same time it is hands on making race cars go fast.
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. My mortality comments were made stating the CDC in Jefferson County, Louisville is in that county which is factual, the heat in Louisville is also something to contend with and the protest downtown is also fact.

If you attend PLEASE do it as safety as possible, do everything you possibly can to ensure you and your family & friends come home healthy. HRP

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

It used to be that the city of Louisville existed in Jefferson County, but through annexing, basically the city and county have become virtually one entity. The Louisville Police department no longer exists and there is only the Jefferson County police. Saves on duplication of services. The heat can be a problem but the humidity is the real the real issue. The front side of the fairgrounds is a huge asphalt parking lot with a few small shade trees. Best to bring your own shade and chairs. The backside of the grounds has the swap meet and a large grass field. Again some shade but bring your own shade if possible. Its such a large area that if you have a mobility scooter......bring it. I used to pride myself in walking the whole thing, but eventually ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I made my own scooter out of a converted Snapper lawn mower.......big batteries and dual exhausts.
    Some people like to stay downtown and its only a few miles from the fairgrounds. That lets them see the Hillerich & Bradsby Louisville Slugger Museum where baseball bats are made. Many people like to take a picture next to the giant bat they have outside. You can also drive by Churchill Downs (home of the Ky Derby) on the way to the fairgrounds. Not sure about the nightlife with the Covid requirements. Most any protest problems occur in the downtown area, so its probably not a worry if you stay in the south Louisville area or Bullitt county where I live.

https://www.sluggermuseum.com/

I love the fact they hold it here every year. Very centrally located and usually peaceful. I wish they hadn't changed the requirements, but you won't feel too out of place with anything from the fifties. With about 10,000 vehicles (normally), you will find plenty of people to talk to with similar vehicles. When you decide to come, let me know if I can be of any help.

stanlow69 likes this.
  9. I totally get why you enjoy the show being in Louisville, you live less than 30 minutes away. HRP

10. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have been isolated here at home and in my shop since February. I have not attended any car events all summer. I have had a long life of hot rods and racing. Missing out of one summer of car stuff is not something that I enjoy, but the risk of getting ill or dieing to attend a car event does not make sense to me. When you have a friend, relative, or neighbor, get sick or die from the virus, it changes how you feel. I am doing all I can to live another summer, when we have a vaccine, and we can all be safe.

11. carguy699

carguy699

i live in louisville about 2 mi from fairgrounds and am concerned about this years show for several reasons,the first being the rise in covid around here. my gf,s friend and daughter were just diagnosed with it so i do not think that it is hype. the gov had ordered new restrictions on indoor dining and bars etc so please take this into consideration.
    the next and most important thing is the civil unrest of which our mayor seems to have no interest in stopping which could put you in harms way if downtown especially after dark. please beware!! last is the security of your cars while parked at the hotels at night-i have not heard of any probs with the hotels but again beware!! i really love the show and having you all visit louisville but certainly do not want any of you to have trouble while you are here so please research all this before you make the trip!!
    jim

12. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To all those going. Wish you well and hope you stay safe. But, I'm 78 and while I really enjoy the Nationals I don't need to take any more chances than old age already provides.

13. kb cookout

kb cookout

I when to Frank's today for lunch , and drove past the fair grounds, The main gate is still not finished and lot "C" the grass area , to the right of the main gate and next to the swap meet area is just a mud field

later kb

Attached Files:

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

One week away from the start of the Nats and it doesn't seem like they are expecting it to happen. Anyone planning on parking in the mud field? Didn't that used to be grass? Main Gate not finished?

Just saw the Kentucky Governor on TV saying no social gatherings of more then 10 people allowed in Kentucky. Hows that going to work?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

There are some states that Ky. wants people coming from them to self quarantine for 14 days if you are coming into the state to stay, and not just passing through. Fla., Ga., Cal.,Nevada, Texas,Alabama, Arizona, Idaho, S. Carolina, & Miss. if I read the latest updates right. The state site reads if you left the state & went to one of these states and return to self quarantine for 14 days, so I would think that the Governor wants the same from people coming from those states into our state. I have no idea how he plans to inforce something on as big a scale as the Nationals though. The protesters downtown like to block streets, so I would try to find out from the Louisville Police what streets to avoid. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    Gman0046 likes this.
  16. Frank's!! The best.
    Those are some grim looking pics!

Gman0046 likes this.
  17. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

My wife and I finally made it to the Nats about 12 years and have been going almost every year. We're both in our early 60s so we're not going this year. I'm not sure what's going on with the main gate in the muddy field, looks like a cluster flock and I can't see how they're going to pull this off.

Hope things are back to normal next year...

18. A Boner

A Boner

Yikes, the main gate a couple days ago!
    Construction work is scheduled to be completed by 7-31-2020!?!?
    7B46F9C6-4D29-46B6-897D-9DF25E81F640.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  19. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Not looking good between COVID, demonstrators & mud. I just canceled my reservations. This is the 1st year I didn't pre-register. If I'm still here, I'll go back next year.

40ragtopdown and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

A friend of mine drove down to the Fairgrounds an said the place is a mess. The grass field parking areas behind the South Wing and adjacent to the swap meet is now nothing but a Mud Bog. He said to the left of the main road that goes from the main entrance to Freedom Hall where most of the tents usually set up is still all torn up. A Boner's picture of the Main Gate shows its still torn up. Surprised all that construction is still going on at this late date.

lothiandon1940 and ekimneirbo like this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yep, and its still raining today.

22. kb cookout

kb cookout

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have been to the NSRA Nationals East but I prefer the smaller shows much more. I really like looking at old project vehicles and old parts then at spit and polished objects .:D

clunker likes this.
  24. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

YES SIR..

mnjeff and Gman0046 like this.
  25. Looking at the web cam the place is a mess, lots of mud. HRP

lothiandon1940, slug and Gman0046 like this.
  26. chopped

chopped

You haven't lived till you get caught in a whopper of a rainstorm there. Was so bad we had to change in the car once.

Gman0046 likes this.
  27. 392

Looks like a bad decision and bad timing during this time.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I gotta call today from a guy that thought I was somehow involved with this show. Which man... that's ironic... In any case, he said that no one has been able to get ahold of the NSRA?

I would imagine this show is cancelled now, right? Surely it is... You'd think they would be communicating with the people that sent them their money.

hotrodA, lurker mick and Tman like this.
  29. You!?! Hahaha
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Just looked at nsra web site and Facebook pages. They have no clue what that fairgrounds looks like.
    Can't wait until Wednesday to hear the participants when they start hitting the fairgrounds.

Phil

lothiandon1940 and jim snow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.