Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Who makes the best repop 32 grille shell and insert?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gigantor, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

I hear they're not all created equal. Can't see myself shelling out $1500+ for an original anytime soon either. What are your experiences/recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Eisenmann likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My Vintiques shell isn't 100% perfect but still pretty nice, the insert is a Dales mfg and it is perfect, problem is Dales is no longer making them to my knowledge.
    If you find two suppliers with one priced higher pay it, you will be glad you did.
    I have heard that with the questionable fit nowadays it would also pay to find a supplier who sells them as "fitted" pairs.

DSCN1610.JPG

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'd recommend a Vintique shell and a United Pacific insert.

lo c dan and Gigantor like this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Have you used the UP insert? My Dad's got one in the box, but we haven't tried it in a shell yet.

5. Dennis D

Dennis D

I used both the Vintique shell and insert on my car. The line on the grill shell and the hood didn't match worth a crap on the right side. Rootlieb hood side was square so I sliced the shell and rewelded it to get a good line on it. Insert fit pretty well. D

Gigantor likes this.
  6. ydopen

ydopen

I bought a fitted grill and shell from Brookville. That was several years ago. I do not know how quality is now. Mine was fine.

John

dirty old man and Gigantor like this.
  7. I picked mine up cheap at one of the rod run type vendors...If I recall correctly, it was less than $350 for the set, non fitted. They fit together like crap, but for the money, and with a little time with the cut off wheel, hammers, welder and grinder it looks pretty good. Pretty much like every other aftermarket piece that gets bought for a hotrod, count on some time and attention to make it work and fit.

Gigantor likes this.
  8. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Brookville makes a nice one, Vintique grill 85AA8F38-C7AB-4C94-90AC-E6B2C36730BB.jpeg

dirty old man, Gigantor and Hnstray like this.
  9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Fellow Mainer just jot a grill and shell from the same company for $200 plus shipping,
    I will ask about fit and PM you...

Gigantor likes this.
  10. Brookville shell and Vintique insert. Very nice fit and very happy with quality. Price is higher but worth it.

Got 2 different ones from ebay sellers and returned them as soon as I opened the box. Gearheadworld's...hands down the worst....gaps that a freight train could go through.
    Very cheap $$. I guess you get what you pay for.

Gigantor, Dino 64 and big duece like this.
  11. the flatlander

the flatlander

Take Krylon's advice

Gigantor likes this.
  12. What about a Vintique/United Pacific shell and an Alumicraft Pines Winterfront grille insert!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gigantor and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

22E303DE-78A7-4705-8ACD-27FE68C5DC3E.jpeg Mines a vintiques

barrnone50, Gigantor, Dino 64 and 2 others like this.
  14. If im correct if you want the radiator cap opening Vintique was your only choice. Havent seen the UP ones up close but they look pretty good. As mentioned Dales inserts are super nice, but hard to source. Ive had Vintique and Henry Grille shells and inserts. My Vintique shell and insert was pretty good, i replaced that insert with a Dales and have since replaced that with an original.

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gigantor likes this.
  15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Its hard to tell who’s repo grill shell you have with out the box unless you get one of the off shore Chinese ones. I got one shell from ebay for 100 bucks and look wrong and like they missed aa few hits on the die-set and 85% formed.. I like the brookville ones and had one and its nice and made in the USA. It is easy to tell a good repo insert from a cheap one because it has loose stainless teeth /bars . I have a nice repo but not sure who’s who like a Dales and this was made in the 1970s.

Gigantor likes this.
  16. Gigantor

Gigantor

Jezus, they aren't giving those inserts away, are they?! Almost as much as I paid for the car!
    Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. fortynut

fortynut

I don't have a dog in this hunt but Dan Fink made up some inserts that to my crackly ol' perception look good even if they are nowhere like those Henry laid in his shells. I don't agree with him but a friend of mine says they could have stopped making cars when the Thirty Twos came out. If that was the case I might even want one. But, alas, my heart is elsewhere.

18. abone1930

abone1930

I built mine out of .250 alum. Round rod lots of elbow grease

Attached Files: