Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Chevy truck dash idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocsas, Jul 25, 2020.

1. rocsas

rocsas
    from colorado

Just looking to see if anyone has ever done this, I'm thinking of taking a dash cluster out of another 55 Chevy truck and grafting it to my passenger side to mimic a 55-56 Chevy car dash and making trim from scratch to match, I made a very crude Photoshop of what my idea kind of looks like, it would involve also moving the glove box to the middle of the dash and replacing the gauges on the passenger side cluster with a screen much like the cars IMG_20200725_120848.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a lot of work...but if you do it well, it would look neat

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Driver training car.

Mr48chev and blowby like this.
  4. Wouldn't it be just as easy use a '55-56 car dash and graft that in? Most of the work has been done for you, and all the trim is available.

302GMC likes this.

5. rocsas

rocsas
    from colorado

I have thought about it but I've seen that done quite a bit, but I've never seen this done I also love the shape of the truck gauge cluster

6. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

jimmy six and nor6304 like this.
  7. patsurf

patsurf

8. rocsas

rocsas
    from colorado

9. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Just to clarify, I didn’t build that. When you mentioned doing it, I had thought I’d seen it done a couple times before so I went searching the old inter webs, and found that one and another one pretty quickly.

10. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

You gotta do this.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put in a GMC dash... They look a whole lot better...

12. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

definitely not a bad idea...I don't know why GM didn't do it on the trucks as well as the cars...oh yeah...They were work vehicles, and cheap...

I don't care so much for the example above, but a simple mocking of the shape like the passenger cars had would be nice. Not sure what the empty gauge cluster accomplishes.

Devin

13. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I don’t care for it either, as I think the flat tops above the cluster are just a bit too wide, leaving the space between too narrow. I know the car dash deal has been done too many times , but the smaller hump/cluster seems to make it better proportioned. That’s just my .02 worth, which is probably what it’s worth. :)

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can think is that someone must have done that to gain a few extra points at an indoor ISCA car show at some time. I guess it might keep your 8 year old entertained though.,

15. Budget36

Budget36

Booooooo

16. Budget36

Budget36

I'm a 55-9 Chevy truck dash guy, I don't like a cut out for a radio, etc. That said, I do like the example above, but w/o a clock/widget/jack-in-the-box, etc.

A nicely incorporated glove box would get my attention. It needs to be metal and chromed as well.

17. Squablow

Squablow

I like the idea, I think it'd be easiest if you had a donor dash to cut up for the hump, and just use the extra cluster bezel and put a speaker grille in it with a script like the cars. I think duplicate gauges would be dorky, but if you did it with the speaker grille and maybe a round inset clock like the cars, it'd look like it was supposed to be there.

I'd probably also move the radio up toward the top of the dash and have a half-height glovebox door below that in the center.

Would be a fair bit of work, but it'd be custom, and custom stuff is cool.