Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who makes the best pie crust slick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadFarmer, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Looks like 10" http://www.towelcityracingtires.com/vintage.aspx

2. radirs are king. I have gone in the eightes with them 1/4 mile. they work best with a tire softener and no inner tube. getting rid of the tube makes the side wall flex and makes for a lighter wheel combo.

3. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

4. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

I've been using ET Streets for years.. decent looking bias ply but I would prefer a pie crust. They hook just like slicks though!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Will Towel City recap slicks pass NHRA tech inspection?

6. The radirs hook great. I posted above what to do. I should add they like to be hot. Treating them with tire softener will bring the durometer readings into the low 40s. All out drag slicks are around 35. Street tires are above 50. For extra effect with the tire softener wrap the tires with plastic overnight. Everyone should keep in mind no tire can make up for a poorly set up suspension. It all has to work together. The original radirs were hard tires. The ones made in the last few years are much softer

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    -Brent-, Ron Funkhouser and Tater Bug like this.
  7. Mark Hysong

Mark Hysong

Used to run Towel City recaps on our stock car....never had a problem so i got a pair of slicks for the coupe. I hope they're as good.

8. wheelguy

wheelguy

I ran 9:00-16 RADIRS on the Willys (sold car, kept this set of wheels & tires)> Crestlines & U.S. Indy.
    RADIRS cost more but they rode good and I drove in a hard rain from Indy back to Cincy > I don't really recommend driving in the rain but I had to, well, sort of... I had them put 4 grooves in them.
    Best looking Pie Crust >IMHO.
    If I had that "SHOW TIME" 55 I wouldn't cut corners ($$$$) on tires > PUN INTENDED !!! 100_1792.JPG 100_1805.JPG 100_1809.JPG

Deuces, alfin32, Gasser 57 and 4 others like this.
  9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am a dealer of M&H tires. But I will say that there selection is often out of stock. They disappoint me.
    There tires have never garnered a complaint.

Towel City has been fantastic to deal with. They do business the old-fashioned way. There tires are very heavy and really don't seem to hook that well. But if you don't intend on racing, they will work well.

Deuces and RoadFarmer like this.
  10. I appreciate all the opinions here guys, thanks!

Deuces likes this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Birth of the Slick
    “Pie-crust slicks originated as truck tires with solid, ungrooved retreads on top. Alex Xydias of the famed So-Cal Speed Shop produced the first asphalt slick in 1953. It was a recap with 7 inches of tread. His tires produced roughly four times the traction of a then-standard tire. Inglewood Tire Co., Bruce’s Slicks, and M&H Tire Co. were the first to manufacture dedicated drag slicks in 1957.
    From Hot Rod Network”

1957 Cook and Bedwell Bruce Slicks: Top speed record holder set at Lions Dragstrip
    upload_2017-5-11_4-32-42.png upload_2017-5-11_4-32-55.png
    Hello,

In early 1958, my brother and I bought a pair of Bruce 7 inch slicks for the 58 Impala. We could run the slicks in the timed runs at Lions, but had to take them off for the A/Stock eliminations. Those 7 inch slicks fit perfectly on the standard Chevy rims and were put in the trunk when we went to the drags. The officials at Lions allowed us to use the slicks during the timed runs, but not for class eliminations.

upload_2017-5-11_4-33-43.png upload_2017-5-11_4-33-55.png
    58 Impala with Bruce Slicks for TIMED RUNS
    upload_2017-5-11_4-45-42.png upload_2017-5-11_4-45-53.png
    58 Impala then A/Stock eliminations without Bruce Slicks

Jnaki
    How good were they? In those days, it improved the times for the 58 Impala, over the stock tires. On the street, it had to be definitely dry days to drive safely. One time, it was dry to start off the cruising night and after a number of runs at the Cherry Ave. drags, the late evening dew came on fast. (Coastal influence and all...) On the way home, a quick red light around midnight brought on a complete 360 degree spin in the Impala, in the middle of the intersection. All of this came on after trying to stop for that quick, light. Luckily, no one was around on either street or intersection. After that, 5 mph all the way home.

But the traction on any dry surface far surpassed any cheater slick or regular tire. Plus, they fit under the Impala rear fenders without any mods and they also fit underneath the 40 Willys rear fenders, too. Practically was important for these low buck teenagers.

12. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

First off, where is Towel City? I bought a pair of pie crust slicks from a business in Calif. and I had them about 3 months before I mounted and balanced them. The tire shop said they could not balance them because they were to far out of round. I called the company I purchased them from and they said I can't send them back because I have had them to long. That was the second time I have had a dealing with them, FIRST AND LAST.

13. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Seems like a lot of work to make a clutch fan.... IMG_6956.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  14. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tammy Wynette used Crisco to make hers.

Deuces and Jet96 like this.
  15. SLCK64

SLCK64

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I will be looking for a pair of 7" tread pie crusts and cant seem to find anyone who makes them. Maybe I missed them in my googling? Waiting to hear back from the Meltdown people about how much they will be sticking to the '66 NHRA rule book for the "stock" type classes for their pie crust drags next June.

Any help is appreciated! I am months away from needing them but cant hurt to get my ducks in a row first.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

17. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

A friend just put Radir on his 32 Ford and he said they are great. They really look go with the whitewalls

18. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I recently put a pair of 9.00-15 Radirs on my Model A, and I love 'em. Bought 'em through Speedway, so free shipping, although they're still expensive, but they ride and drive great. Mags and slicks 5-1-17 001.JPG Mags and slicks 5-1-17 007.JPG

19. SLCK64

SLCK64

Sounds like they will allow 8" ones, I think Ill go with the Radirs. I like the idea of new, non capped. Towel City if funds come up short. Wont be getting them until next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces likes this.
  20. Deuces, -Brent- and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Since the original thread I believe Towel city now offers new tires as well as recaps for slicks**edit Thebearded1! Beat me to it

22. Correction the built on new radial casing is likely a retread (taking a brand new tire grinding the sidewall and tread off and turning it into a picecrust with tbe recap) and the cheaper version is a retread built the same way on a used casing

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  23. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Towel City on the '33.
    [​IMG]

I dig 'em, but they have not been out of the shop yet.
    [​IMG]

-Abone.

Motorwrxs, alfin32, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  24. Still a nice tire for the money. I have had a pair on my car for about 4-5 years and no problems.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. 30panel

30panel

MY EXPERIENCE " NO To TOWEL CITY " Very LONG Dirty story!
    Sorry guy's
    MikeHilborn

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Want to know a little secret? I was talking to Bill at DB Classics a week ago and he said he was in the process of making a new mold to produce a pie crust drag slick radial. BW or WW. You heard it hear first. I just bought his Auburn tires and they are amazing. If the slick is anything close to this quality...get in line.

AHotRod, Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What about for a race car, not sure I want a radial ?

28. Any idea when they’ll be available?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

29. Radir.... Their slicks are not recaps.

saltflats and lothiandon1940 like this.