Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. I'm trying to keep a low profile there. I just don't have the time. I would rather crew the car than crew the computer.

2. Pic from the out of site drags. Car ran good. On pass two I shook the tires hard. Little did I know the timing got knocked back 15 degrees retarded. Thirty degrees total doesn't get it on a nitro car. It still went 8.0 letting off at 900 feet. IMG_51311.jpg

3. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

That photographer took some good pics sure wish I could see more of his work he took a good one of my afx but I don’t know who he is or how to contact him your car ran real good Brian and you also sure know how to “put on the show” lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

kidcampbell71, enloe and loudbang like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

He takes some great shots. A bunch of hambers were there racing but nobody comes on the HAMB anymore and lets us know how they did or just a report. :(

7. I started a thread on the event with lots of pics.

chryslerfan55, j-jock, enloe and 2 others like this.
  8. FB_IMG_1594225543277.jpg
    Looks like the new shocks are starting to get dialed in.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Be careful there Brian, if the shocks get any more dialed in you may find you need (God forbid) those nasty W.B"s LOL. Lippy

10. The next outing will be the glory days event at byron dragway. I will be focused on upgrading my license.

enloe, Woogeroo, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

w
    We got on Facebook recently. It was the only way we could get the photos from Ethan's football games.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Glory days was hot. The car ran ok. The mag started vibrating itself loose. The timing got screwed up. It advanced so much it burned off the porcelain from the plugs. That material can get stuck to the valve and seat causing that cylinder to have higher leak down numbers. I will pull the drivers side head and fix it. To stop the mag from turning I bought a set of handcuffs. They lock the two mags together making it impossible for them to move. That along with the billet base clamp should stop the turning. 20200722_193609.jpg

13. Next stop this weekend will be the big car show in Lannon Wi. It's a 600 plus car show. All money raised goes to area charities. I will be firing the car on nitro at 11am and 1pm.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

“Firing” as in 80% plus crackle?
    Or on stands warming the rear diff up?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. On the ground. It's the same either way because we are not racing it.

16. I spent the day at the car show in Lannon Wi today. All proceeds go to local charities including the humane society. My spot became the gathering place for several nitro junkies. The guys that were gathered have been involved with nitro cars for decades. The stories and accounts coming from the guys that lived it were priceless.
    Al McFadden nitro driver of several funny cars and dragsters. The last guy to qualify a ford in top fuel.
    Jerry Newman. Driver and crew member on several teams. Currently with doc Holidays.
    Berrnie Adam's driver of the Tyrant afx chevelle and Super Hugger Camaro funny car.
    Pete Farnsworth driver of the record setting Blue Flame rocket car.
    It was a honor to hang out with these legends today. They are all very humble yet proud of what they accomplished. They are a no b.s. group. They let their record speak for them. Truly the real deal. 20200726_103211.jpg 20200726_110211.jpg 20200726_111522.jpg 20200726_110159.jpg

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Jerry never changes still looks the same. He has tuned a lot of cars in his days. Lippy

kidcampbell71, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Nitro fumes kill the virus?

Woogeroo and Nicholas Coe like this.
  19. They must. I'm covid free. I have been inhaling nitro fumes since the pandemic started.

20. Whatever works! :) I am living in an area where the Covid was controlled early, and we are opened up with masks and social distancing, and can't imagine what it would be like going out where the virus is rampant, and knowing it is a crap shoot.
    With my health issues, I would be dead man walking.
    Bob

21. Nice clean looking car.
    Bob

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  22. Hell Yes!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

One more medical related question or two please. Does anyone know of any documented cases of Nitro fume addiction? Is there a candle or something a family member can get me for my birthday so I can enjoy everyday without all the DHS paperwork, or does one have to “earn their stripes”?

24. Very cool. Now I’m going to get you a towel so you can wipe the drool off your face.

loudbang likes this.
  25. That's not drool its sweat. It was in the 90s with high humidity and not one cloud in the sky. I'm glad I brought my pop up canopy.

26. Brian, I see your "health care front line" post was deleted by the heavy hand of HAMB censorship so I did a private discussion to you. You and the coupe were a big hit at the Lannon, Wi. show, much thanks for being there. The coupe is awesome and that only happens with great effort and dedication. More importantly, huge thanks to your work on the "health care front line".
    Curt R

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  27. Thanks for watching out for all of us.

Phil

28. After the timing advanced to a very unsafe level some maintenance had to be performed. A leak down test was done as usual. Number 1 and 3 were at 80 percent leak. My cylinders are usually 5-15. The head needed to come off. Upon inspection the exhaust valves were burned. I had some new spares to put in after the seats were touched lightly. The springs were all run the the tester. A few were replaced and all are back at 340 pounds. Normally this would fix things but something said dig deeper. I pulled the pan to pull 1 and 3 piston to inspect the rings. Sure enough they lost their tension. The end gap was gone. The ring grooves looked bad so the two pistons will be replaced. I have spares to fix all that to. Seeing as the pan was off I looked at the bearings. Glad I did that. Number 6 was looking real bad. It most likely would not have lasted another pass. All the bearings were changed to a set .001 larger for more oiling. This is why I'm always preaching about preventative maintenance. Catching little problems before they become huge problems. It will all be back together this weekend. It will be going to the nsra show in Louisville Kentucky next Wednesday. It will be in the flitz booth. I will have hand out 8x10 cards to sign and give away. Stop by and get yours. The lesson from all of this is when the timing gets disrupted bad things can happen. Take the time to carefully inspect everything. Fix what needs fixing. 20200731_220128.jpg 20200731_220207.jpg 20200731_220003.jpg 20200731_220030.jpg 20200731_220652.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's what happens when you turn the wick up.
    I'm waiting for the wick.