Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. [​IMG]
    Yes, a gold tooth would look great! Carl said so.

2. Well I've ran grounds, pulled the cluster out and looked at the gauge, put 5 more gallons of gas in it, kicked the tire, tapped the gauge, and it still goes up to 1/8th tank and stays there. Guess I'll get under it this weekend and check the sending unit with the multimeter. It's like a steering wheel in my pants, cause it's driving me nuts :D

3. ^^^Loose nut behind the wheel?^^^

4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the tank to floor pan surface clean and tight? 'Cause "theoretically" that's the ground for the sending unit... Or it could be a Chinese piece of shit... My money's on the latter... :(

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO:D:D:D:D:D
    Lift up that skirt honey. I got a steering wheel in my pants...and I'm gonna drive it on home

6. I ran a ground wire from the sending unit over to the frame. I connected the pigtail on the battery cable to the inner fender, and i ran a ground from the block over to the frame lol, if it's got a ground issue i give up! Everything I've read online points to the gauge. When i unhook the sender wire from the back of the gauge it doesn't move. It should go to full. I'm gonna hit the parts house Saturday morning when i leave the firehouse and see if i can find a 0-30 ohm gauge.

7. Had to order a tire for the rear this morning, had a knot come up on one. $147 for a 235/60-15!!!!! What the hell? And that was the cheap one o_O

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Remember that RCH ground wire within the gauge it's self I mentioned before.

9. I didn't see anything, i looked. Nothing that was ran to the case. Am I missing something?

loudbang likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You'll have to remove the 2 nuts from the studs and carefully pull backing away to have a clear shot at it. You'll notice that one of the studs from within is where that tiny wire is. Sometimes just tightening the nut as shown here is enough to bring ground back into contact.
    [​IMG]

11. Ok I'll check that out man, thanks Johnny ;)

loudbang likes this.
  12. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Yep, 15-inchers aren't common, anymore, and the price reflects it.

13. Being punished for not running 20" tires :rolleyes:

bchctybob, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm more than willing to take a beatin' for that... ;)

15. Lol i know man, I'm trying to be funny here ;) I'm losing my smart ass abilities :rolleyes:

loudbang, scotty t and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, no... I was pickin' up everything you were layin' down! LOL! :D

17. I gotcha brother Jed ;)

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I doubt LLoyd would ever lose those! If he did I wouldn't be able to communicate with him anymore, :D:p

19. Hey now, i resemble that remark ;):D

20. Sheeit! You still have your smartassness!

21. Awwww you guys are just about the nicest dickheads I've ever known :D kinda like family:p

INVISIBLEKID, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kinda like family ? Looks like this guy could be detrimental to ANY family's gene pool:eek::D
    [​IMG]

23. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Following post closely. On the gas gage if you disconnect the gage wire at the sender and ground it momentarily with the key on, the gage should peg to full immediately,if it does you can be assured the wiring and the gage are good. If not the problem is elsewhere.
    The idler arm on a stock tri 5 is locked in a rubber bushing that acts as a return to the straight ahead position when the wheel is turned L or R. The aftermarket arms that are just a bearing (poor mans powersteering are meant to be used primarily with power box conversions as the box has its own centering valve. Also 605 boxes cannot be installed with out major adaptation to the lower end of a stock box. Ralphie

loudbang likes this.
  24. Yeah i checked it all today, it goes to full when you unhook the sender wire, and empty when you ground the sender post. Probably the cheap ass sender i bought. And the 605 box was already on the car when i got it. But the car wasn't on the road for years. It's great now. But I'll change the box when i get around to it. Thanks for the info man

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  25. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember working on a gas gauge where I checked out both the gauge and the sending unit. With it all hooked up and a ground wire clipped to the sender, it worked fine. Turned out that with it inside the tank, the float would hit a baffle and it couldn't go up further.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. I'm curious as to what is going on in there. I'll admit i didn't buy the most expensive sending unit they had :rolleyes: my fault if that's what the problem ends up being. The thing that bothers me is that I've been dumping gas in it every time I work on it, and now it's gotta have 15 gallons in it? Can't pull the sending unit without draining the tank. It has a drain plug, but I'm not looking forward to the whole gas in my armpits :D:D:D we'll see. I've gotta work on customer cars tmrw, but maybe tmrw evening I'll get a chance to work on mine.

27. When you've got way too many jobs going on to get your own car in the garage and it's hot as hell outside, you come up with a way to make things work :D Screenshot_20200726-144310_Gallery.jpg

bchctybob, David Gersic and loudbang like this.
  28. Alright, bodywork done on the top, and the left fender. Screenshot_20200726-185813_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200726-185810_Gallery.jpg

bchctybob, loudbang, Squablow and 5 others like this.
  29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, get back to slinging some mud, that other stuff was boring me. :D

Lookin' good.

30. Ain't that the damn truth!! Thought about doing some other stuff, but i decided to just do some bodywork ;) i did put some plug wire separators on it! Gotta do a little filler work on the tailgate and the hood. Finish a little place on the left quarter panel, and I'm calling it good :cool: I'm gonna shoot the top white and lace it with white diamond pearl. Then I'll figure out the rest. I'll do the top this week.

loudbang, Squablow and 427 sleeper like this.