Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Moonburst: Lost & Found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 24, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Moonburst: Lost & Found

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I watched this a couple weeks back. It was quite the let down to see that the car was totally in pieces and that a good bit of it wasn't even there.

This other video by Jerry is more of a "barn find".

3. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

$90,000 is stupid

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

At this point, I think the trailer is worth more than the car.

craig b blue and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Cool as hell! If I was rich I'd give 90 in a heartbeat. Course I'd also have a P-51, a 32 three window, Various race cars........... Lippy

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

This was talked about on other forums for a couple weeks now, The car is a nothing except being an old car from the late 60's. There is no history that comes with it that would give it 10% of that valuation for what is there, only that the trailer is with it brings the value up to 25%. The Vid also misrepresents the car builder as a "Woody Gilmore" which it is not , but a "Foy Gilmore" (Florida) Should it be restored? sure all cars of this era should be , But the owner craves the attention it brings to him as it sits and the video and all the people talking about it, he will not attempt the restoration

7. Two Mr Ed trailers......

DAMN

craig b blue and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice find, fun video to watch, makes you wonder how many other cars are still out there. If that 90 offer was real I'd have taken it. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Joey, as you know, I followed AA/FD racing avidly throughout the '60's......I've never heard of the car in the lead photo. Interesting trailer though.

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Completely restored with engine is only worth high $60's

mgtstumpy and The37Kid like this.
  11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

"Mr Ed" trailers are highly sought after within the restoration crowed at least $15g as they are sitting

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Would a "Name Brand" or famous driver car from that era bring more? Just past my era of interest. Bob

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Even though I wasn't around then, I'm realizing this wasn't a very well-known car. Hardly any photos exist online, and there aren't any major magazine features to reference. I can only think of three places I've ever seen it. There were two photos in Hot Rod Magazine, one photo in the Dean Moon book by David Featherston and then a 1:64th scale replica by Johnny Lightning back in the early 2000s. That's it. Is it a neat car? Yes. Significant? That's hard to say.

Anyways, I like when treasure gets uncovered, regardless of its provenance. On a somewhat related note, I loved seeing your collection of AA/Fuel Dragster photos you posted the other day.

catdad49, kidcampbell71 and fauj like this.
  14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Jack Mackay (New Dimension mobile Homes)owner and Clayton Harris driver are well known names but in later years with the rear motor cars. But this car didnt do anything significant. Races won, Championships, Records set, add a lot to value, Honestly I think it spent more time doing displays at shopping centers then racing. Just the way it was built shows that it was a much older car prob bought cheap and put into service at the same time the rear engine cars started to appear

chase knight likes this.
  15. In the video.. Owner mentions Hilton... Fuel Racer out of Cincinnati.

I know a Hilton who raced Top Fuel.. Yes, he's from Cincinnati.

Just Gary and D-Russ like this.
  16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Bobby Hilton was/is the son in law of Jim & Alison Lee (Great Expectations Series T/F cars) and his son Tyler Hilton runs a Nostalgia T/F in the NHRA Heritage Series

Just Gary and D-Russ like this.
  17. Other then the trailer I only see junk that people are trying to hype up into something it’s really not.

sitting in bits, covered in junk in a hoarders farm ?!?!?!
    Sorry
    This is a made up fictional bit of sudo-history that a couple guys are trying to turn into 15 minutes of fame and some cash as historical race cars are hot right now.

sorry I see this as being the same as making the kardashians famous!! Yeah she sucked a d!ck on camera but really ?!?!?!
    What did this car do?!?!? Really ?

chase knight and craig b blue like this.
  18. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Pathetic story......but the shit is his to do what he wants with.....

craig b blue and stillrunners like this.
  19. Bobby is the son of John Hilton who ran Top Gas in the late 50’s and Top Fuel in the early 70’s.. Still the Lees son in law.

This could be John’s junk from the 70’s.

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

By the time he was 16, Bobby Hilton probably knew more about racing than most kids could ever hope to. Clayton Harris had taken the ambitious youngster, then just 13, under his wing and on tour with his Top Fuel team for three seasons in the early 1970s – during the heyday of the national-record-setting Jack McKay New Dimension car

catdad49, JC Sparks and 61cad like this.
  21. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

An old race car is just an old race car, unless it is current, meaning being able to run, at least at a cackle fest.
    Right now a number of old race cars are appearing with the hopes of high returns, but the buyers are dying just like the museums that used to house them.
    Even Danny Thompson's current record holder sold below expectations but I think Danny also knew that
    An old race car is just an old race car.

thintin, catdad49 and Tman like this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Ya, just let it sit and rot in the trailer. Really. I think it would be pretty cool to own, but not at that price. IMG_20200724_0001.jpg

23. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I raced with Clayton Harris for years. He didn't talk much about the front engine car. But he did say once they switched to a rear engine and a late model it all started to come together. We had some big times together. That's him at the controls in my avatar.

Tman and stanlow69 like this.
  24. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

This was there rear engine late model version, with Clayton and Mackey. And dreracecar, This one did win some races.
    Clayton%20Harris%201.jpg

catdad49, kidcampbell71 and stanlow69 like this.
  25. Kinda funny....in the early 70's no one wanted old front engine dragsters or Willy's gassers or any of that early/mid 60's junk.........agree on his price.....but it's his and you'll have to wait until he dies to get it cheaper I think.

craig b blue likes this.
  26. actually should be disagree.....but.......

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Never said that this team were not succesful, just the front motor car had no history. Met Clayton plenty of times when he was tuning Romine in Nostalgia Top Fuel

29. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Even a low-ball price to restore what is in the trailer is around $65K.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. old race cars are just that ...old race cars. By virtue of the fact that they came that time, complete or not, or even just bits and pieces of any size or makeup, makes any of them interesting based on the passage of time. Certifiable achievement or outrageous involvement is a plus, but, as time passes and memories become foggy,documentation, public or private ,becomes more valuable in the determination of financial value. I think it once again comes down to personal interest and what the car in question means to the interested parties. In their time most of the hardcore guys used the car of the moment as a disposable tool. They were a means to an end....drags or roundy- round, road course or off road, that iron wasn't loved, it was just used and it was rare for any other consideration to be given as to long term future and the vehicle place in motorsport lore.