Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Grandpa's model a

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bob Unck, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Bob Unck

Bob Unck

I ended up with this 30 Tudor that belonged to my grandfather since the early 50s. The story I was told was that a lady traded the car in to the ford dealer in Pasco Wa that was owned by a friend of my grandfathers, he immediately bought the car. At some point he had the car repainted, I was told soon after buying it, and over the years it would go back and forth between running and sitting. The car was "bought" by a cousin once and returned, the by another cousin and returned after a discussion about hot rodding it didn't go well (my grandfather said "over my dead body").
    When my grandfather passed away I asked what was to become of this car as it had been in the family since before me. It turned out that it went to an aunt who had no idea what she would do with it other than to store it. When I expressed interest she immediately offered to sell me the car at a very reasonable price.
    I have had the car for several years as shop art with plans of hot rodding it while still maintaining some originality. I built a t bucket a few years ago as a sort of dry run in traditional suspension set up etc. and now the time has finally arrived that I have decided get moving. At this point I have stripped all of the suspension so that i could figure out my ride height etc. I have a dropped axle coming along with other front end parts. I had wanted to run an aluminum block buick 215 (ran one in the t bucket), mostly because of size and the cool factor, but I really want to run an auto trans which is a bit difficult with the 215.
    Here's what the car looks like today

Attached Files:

Murphy32, kidcampbell71, Tim and 9 others like this.
  2. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

That is a beautiful model A! Nice wheels, rockets? Buick 215s are cool, great idea! Lots of interesting heads/hi po parts available for these engines and an aluminum block to boot

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Bob Unck

Bob Unck

Thanks, they are rocket wheels. 15x6 front and 15x7 rear. I had tried steel wheels with trim rings and caps and just couldn't get the look i wanted

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Cool car and story .

5. Gangrene

Gangrene

I'm pretty sure your grandfather would have wanted me to have it. Very cool!

6. Neat story and nice looking car. The Buick 215 and sister GM 215/300 are under appreciated engines. The tooling was sold to British Leyland and became the 3500 and 4500 used in several British cars. You might find auto transmission choices from those later model engine.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

7. It doesn't get any stancier than that!

8. Only one picture?!

9. Deuces

Deuces

Hell yeah, it looks good!.... ;) modela2.jpg

kidcampbell71, -Brent- and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Nice, nice Model A!
    The wheels and stance really make it.
    KK

11. oldsman41

oldsman41

Considering the family history and grand dads remarks of no hot rod why not just warm up the a motor and drive it.

Budget36 and sgtlethargic like this.
  12. This is a very popular motor here in the UK .Auto trans used are Borg Warner 35 and 65 and the best one is a GM180 . Hope this helps.
    Charlie.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. lake_harley

lake_harley

If you have a dropped axle coming for it, what does it have under it now? It already looks like it sits nicely. Looks like a jack stand under the rear of the car. Is it just mocked up now?

Lynn

14. Bob Unck

Bob Unck

Yah, the car is just on stands right now so that i could get measurements and figure out how much i needed to lower it.

BTW: Thanks for all the comments. I figured that once I got it mocked up it would get me a bit more motivated

15. Looks good to me. HRP

16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Love the colors!

17. Bob Unck

Bob Unck

So I now have a front end under and the stance is perfect. I had a line on a rear end from a 74 comet but that has now gone away so the search ges on. I may have to go with a modified explorer rear end.

chryslerfan55 likes this.