Register now to get rid of these ads!

History An Axe to Grind

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 17, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Actually, we tend to think of Hot Rods as not being "Customs", but if you actually think about it.........they actually are "Kustoms". When done many of them only vaguely resemble their original configuretion. The bodies get chopped,channeled. They get louvered and pinstriped. They get lowered and raised. They get custom interiors and paint jobs. They get chromed and polished. They get virtually everything done to them that a Kustom gets done. Its just that the "style" they want to attain has a somewhat different look from what most people want to call a Kustom.Even traditional Hot Rods have the fenders removed,the tops chopped,and lots of chrome sometimes.
    HR Kustom 1.jpg
    Low Rider T.jpg
    Low Rider ?????
    Flamed T 1.jpg
    Kustom bodywork,low profile,flames........
    Why ain't these Kustoms?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. While I'd say that the difference in the early days was more pronounced, there's always been a lot of 'cross pollination' between the two camps. But the difference is really very elementary; it's where the emphasis is placed. The dominating influence for Hot Rods is performance and Customs are much more about style, and to a certain extent, lifestyle/attitude also plays a part.

3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Maybe that used to be the way it was, but think about it now. A good portion of the "Hot" Rods built today don't have the "Hot" in them. They are "Street" Rods built for looks.(Not all of them, but most nostalgic ones) Yes they resemble what used to be built for performance but they use engines which don't actually have performance as a goal. Many of them can't compete with todays factory offerings.........many can't compete with some of todays family cars. For a lot of them its gotten to be more about "stylin" and stuff than actually worrying about having decent performance. There are some builders out there who actually want performance and won't settle for anything less. They may also build their car to have dynamite looks. But, there is a segment out there who build a "Hot/Street" Rod just for its looks.
    This site is dedicated to nostalgic period correct vehicles. I don't mean this as a "put down", I'm just saying that when someone builds a nostalgia based vehicle, they really aren't building for actual performance (most of the time), they are building for a "look". Isn't that what a Kustom does? (Again, not trying to sound argumentative or insult anyone with these comments, just asking for a little thought about how building today differs somewhat from building eons ago):D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  4. Remember, on this site the clock stopped in 1965. So judging by modern standards isn't a apples-to-apples comparison. Sure, modern tech has made possible huge strides in performance, but while my DD '13 Mustang GT is probably 2 full seconds quicker in the quarter compared to the 455" FE/4-speed Cougar I used to own with both in street trim, it has little of the visceral brutality the Cougar could display.

It's not the raw numbers, it's the experience, and rods and customs are two different experiences.