Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Distributor skips gear on flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1Slowjoe, Jul 20, 2020.

1. 1Slowjoe

1Slowjoe

IMG_2240.JPG IMG_2241.JPG Having trouble with timing on my ’52 mercy 233 flathead. Just got the motor rebuilt and the distributor seems to jump after about 15 seconds. Replaced the old one with a new Mallory. Checked for broken gears and nothing seems to be wrong there. Only thing I can see is that there’s no shoulder at the end of the cam shaft where it can enter the timing cover, is that an issue. Anybody, suggestions?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Some of the distributors made for the "supported" covers don't really have much body around the lower part of the shaft. They basically have the shaft hanging down there in the air. If that's what your distributor looks like, you should get a supported cover.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. 1Slowjoe

1Slowjoe

The shaft is supported. I shaved a bit off where the shaft end and the timing cover meet. That allowed it not to bind. Still wondering about that shoulder at the end of the cam/distributor gear. (top picture, middle).

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A shoulder wouldn't keep it from popping off the gear or jumping off and on the gear.

Have you checked to see if the distributor housing is slipping up in the cam cover as it runs?

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Got to be something wrong with the housing I would think. I won't use the POS Loadamatic 8BA type dizzy but make external point adjusting Chevy distributors to replace them. With this set up the gear just hangs in the air but gives no trouble.

Converted Chevy top weight with gear at very end and mounted in an 8BA

IMG_4088.JPG IMG_4085.JPG

6. Is the distributor gear meant to be down some more to center around the cover boss ? :confused: Dist.jpg

7. 1Slowjoe

1Slowjoe

8. 1Slowjoe

1Slowjoe

It’s clamped down so I don’t think that’s the problem

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

First pic shows shallow tooth contact. Last pic looks like room to lower gear some with a shim to get closer to cam centerline. May help contact depth.

10. 1Slowjoe

1Slowjoe

I’m sorry how do yo mean shallow tooth contact?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Look at the witness mark on the cam drive gear,,,,,very close to the top .

Tommy