Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects MOTIVATION....... How do you find it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 20, 2020.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm hit n miss. Motivated on car shit all day almost every day. Problem is THEY AIN'T MY CARS! What invariably happens is I've had enough and the shoemaker's shoes remain with holes in the soles. Now n then I motivate myself self to politely say "Fuck all y'all" and spend a day or 3 on my own. Then the bills hit that fuckin mailbox outside again! I can't figger out if I'm a rodent on a hamster wheel or a mushroom (kept in the dark and fed shit!). At least I never get lost, everyone tells me where to go. Wazzat an answer Bob?

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Only exception would be a Race Car with documented history. :) Bob

3. Maybe you just need to call Mark or Ted and get them to take you for a ride in their hot rods, having a couple of projects and no motivation sounds like you need inspiration, that and sell some of that stuff accumulating in your basement to free up some extra cash for that frame.

You ain't getting no younger. HRP

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like to think back on all the years and others cars I hade the privilege of working on years ago. Better cars and I got paid to work on them. My oldest daughter is always amazed when I point out one in a museum or on the lawn at Pebble Beach that I worked on for a few years at one time, just not the same with my stuff. I miss the old days and people. Bob

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

The goal is to have both bodies finished and in primer, nothing else, just keeping things enjoyable. Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

When I have no money or time I have lots of motivation, than When I have time and money I lose motivation. What’s wrong with me?

7. It's easier to dream, for both cases.

The37Kid and squirrel like this.
  8. Bob

Seems like a slight contradiction, but hey if it works for you I'm fine with it. HRP

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just need a square '32 frame to build the bodies on to start with, no different than building a house.

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

And don't forget about the old Zig Ziglar motivational trick; Tell everyone what you're going to do, that way you look like a real dope if you don't do it.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like that, cheaper than buying another project. Bob

12. How many years has @The37Kid been talking about motorvation?

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

For motivation, start chanting "I can do electrical","I can do electrical".

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob, I wouldn't trade a single car I've done or the friendships and memories created, so many that are still active and fresh decades later. I piss n moan once in a while, sure. I've had some of my own but not nearly what I simply want once and for all. My 39 sedan will do just fine. It'll be 99% of what I want, want to keep from now on, what will make a great "our car" for me and Mrs Jocko. If I had 90 days and 1 full time helper I'd be done with it. That's a more expensive proposition than it seems when you're a shop owner and a bunch of us know exactly what I mean. Throw in a heart attack, regular old life getting in the way, a growing honey-do list, a house that needs a full basement remodel, yeah man that clock just keeps ticking. Aside from that 90 days I could also use about 2 grand in "just need" money, so wouldn't you know it. Fuckin riding mower just kicked a con rod last week. Hamster wheel. Motivation? It warms my soul like morning coffee whenever I take the time to just look at it, and sometimes that adds a little extra cream and sugar which results in results, major or minor as they might be.

15. motivation?
    We are in control of nothing other than our attitude
    Are we experiencing the end of the world as we know it? How long will be allowed to drive our liquid dino burning rides? Pandemics, pestilence, panic, politics........
    Tired, no time, no money, no victories on the project lately. Wake up with more crap to do every day. How long will work hold out? What will the next check up have in store?
    The shop is a mess, its hot outside, the grass needs cut every 3 days.
    I consider myself very blessed just to have the ability and opportunity to work on something even if I don't touch it or ever finish it.

Once you realize you don't have to win all the pressure is off.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

A couple of weeks out from the NSRA Nat's in Louisville, Kentucky scheduled for Agust 6-10, my motovation meter is usually sky high. The Louisville weather has been in the high ninties for I don't know how long and high humidity the heat index is over 100 almost every day. Its so hot you can't even think about doing something outside.

Combine this with the COVID - 19 virus that has just reached an all time one day Kentucky high, the Governor has just mandated the wearing of face masks by all Kentuckians and no event gatherings of more then 10 people. How is holding the Streetrod Nationals possible? There's No Way I can envision an event like the Nats taking place and am looking every day to see if the event has been cancelled. The Louisville Mayor and the Governor just announced they are waiting until large events start dates come closer before cancelling.

Oh I almost forgot, the civil unrest that has been going on in Louisville since March. Make a wrong turn and you might be in a place you don't need to be.

Other then that not too much happening in Kentucky contributing to motivation.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are days when I am motivated and days when I am not. This is a hobby for many of us and as such should be fun to do. That said I try to do a little something on the car every day if I can. The old eating an elephant one bite at a time thing. I don't beat myself up when I can't however. The other thing is to try and have a buddy to do stuff with. I have a friend who is restoring a 65 Dodge Dart Gt convertible and he lost his drive because of the amount of work the floors in the car needed. It was overwhelming to him so I moved my welding gear out to his shop and spent 2 weeks going there for about 3 or 4 hours every day until they were done. With the floors completed he is ready for blasting on Monday and excited to be underway again on his project. Sometimes it takes two of you! The other thing I learned is two projects at one time is not a good thing. There may be folks out there that can spread themselves that way but for me I need to stay focused on the one until it is completed for the most part. Tried the 2 project trick a couple times and was never good at getting either done properly.

18. Bob, you want motivation, I'll loan my electric cattle prod to Mark and send him over to your house, I am positive when you get zapped by that thing you will have some get up and go. :D HRP

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

No, that has nothing to do with body work. I'd like two finished bodies in the next 10 years. Bob

20. error404

error404
    from CA

Ugh, I would hate to have other folks project cars. I don't mind helping out people with their own projects (actually, I enjoy that!), but hell, no way I'd want to build someones car for them! It would loose all the fun at that point I think.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

It totally depends on the owner/customer. Back in the early 1980's, I got to work on a 166 Ferrari, the "perfect" job, owner loved the car had the funds to keep up with the work, flew in every six weeks or so to check on things, and I thought it was a great looking car too. It didn't seam like work, and I got a check every week. Bob

chryslerfan55, bchctybob and GordonC like this.
  22. Where have I seen this?

Cosmo49 and GordonC like this.
  23. Chainsaw chipper

Chainsaw chipper
    from Illinois

How bad do you want it,once I answer that question I get back to work

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

If they were both together and in finish primer there would be more room around here. Good starting point for the Grandkids or an easier lump to find a home for. Still enjoy walking past the stuff, but more organized would be nice.

25. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

Motivation gets harder the older you get... though me being 37 i should have had more than i did. Discovered im low on T and got on T replacement therapy and seriously, new person, new energy, new motivation. Complete life changer. I cant stress that enough, if someone has that option i wouldnt hesitate to recommend it.
    That sorts motivation for the labor only jobs.
    Money is about the only other thing, having money to pay someone to do it for you. With no money OR energy... i was pretty sunk. My car sat for 3 years dealing with that, now, with no money still, within 2 months its gone from a shell to having all the parts i had collected before that 3 year stall, installed, labour only jobs, all done and im almost ready to drive it.

alanp561, chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

At almost 70 yrs. old, I don't get as much done as I did even 5 or 10 yrs. ago. But I have no problem getting motivated. In fact I get irritated when other things require my attention, and I can't get anything done on my cars that day. There aren't many days I don't try to get in some time on my latest project.
    I love the build process, and finishing a car is great, but not nearly as great as the whole build process is to get there.

27. The challenge is what motivates me at this stage of my life. It has to push my creative and fabrication buttons. Something new, and different does the trick. I can't do more than one so-called 'traditional' hotrod of any make. One 32 Ford is fine. Building a second one within the strict confines of 'traditional' is like assembling IKEA to me. However, I do find hiding 'modern' in a 'traditional' facade still a challenge. Who knows, there might be an electric (with ludicrous mode) 'traditional' 32 Ford in my future. But these days, my bi-plane project is providing all the motivation I need.

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  28. What's the biplane project?

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thats it for me

30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

[​IMG]
    Gees is the mascot still cold? I was going to take the Shoebox for a ride and pick up a prescription but they paved the street and there is loose stuff all over the place..Grrrr.