Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects MOTIVATION....... How do you find it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 20, 2020.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Not a new question, just wondering what others have found as a reason to spend time on a project. I can poke along but really need $2,000 for a frame before any major progress can take place. Simple goal, have two Model A Ford bodies in finish primer ready for paint.

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You don't find it you just have it.

3. Seems I pretty much always have the motivation. I just lack the time and money typically. :(

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Your bodies are in finished primer? You are ahead of me on that point, pal.

bobss396 likes this.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

6. squirrel

squirrel

I need a goal...like a fun, long, challenging drive to go on. Then I can work my ass off night and day, and make progress.

this year is tough.

7. TV sucks, I live at 4200 ft elevation so gardening is out, too old and ugly to chase women, Doc. made me quit drinking, so might as well go out to the shop and build something.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

NO! That in the goal. :) Bob

9. error404

error404
    from CA

I try to do SOMETHING on my project vehicles every night.

Best case scenario, I get something done and can move forward on the project the next night. If it takes me 2 nights to make a simple bracket and weld it in to place, that's fine. At least I'm moving forward.

Worst case, I just clean up and organize tools and hardware that are laying around. But, even that is a step forward, because keeping things organized and in place is a project all of it's own... one that never ends. hah!

Some nights are just thinking nights. I grab a beer or 4, sit down next to the trucks and ponder what my next move is, or what the best way to solve the next problem is. Those nights are productive, but only after executing the plan a few nights later.

But for me, the key is to do SOMETHING every night. If I miss a few nights, I feel like I'm letting things slip.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My motivation is usually fueled by going to events, like cruises and swap meets. The interaction with friends and fellow enthusiasts, spurs me on. Lately that has been lacking, or at least, that's my current excuse.

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

I think you find it after doing what needs to be done all the times you don't want to.

That discipline breeds motivation.

It's my personal belief that people have the wrong idea about motivation.

An example from my own life: I got really jarred awake to the reality that my eyesight may not last. Everything that was important, immediately got proper attention. I was compelled, not motivated.

... but today, as I'm sitting here writing, I'll be honest, I could be doing more in every aspect of my life. My "motivation" has waned because my discipline is shit, at the moment.

12. I'm goal oriented..if it wasn't these old cars, it would be something else.

On complete builds I create lists, each step leads to the next, which keeps checking off items from the list, which is positive, and in turn motivates me.
    I try, and usually succeed to devote a minimum of 1 hour each day (typically 1 hour turns into 6+) towards my projects, this will and does accomplish completed tasks and eventually gets the project finished.

One thing I hear my wife telling friends and family "he just loves working on old cars"
    Agreed, but there are many aspects of a build I hate, and dig deep to get past them, to get to the more enjoyable tasks of the build.
    When I'm laying under a car, can barely reach a nut I have to remove, it's hot, wrench slips, bloody knuckles, try to get out from under the project, forgot door was open, hit head on door..I'm not feeling the love at those times, but without the pitfalls, how would we appreciate the accomplished end results?

In the end, it has to come from you..how bad do you want it?

13. redoxide

redoxide

I get motivaion from all sorts of diderent sources . I guess i adopt an attitude most times of "my glass is half full" all I need is a top up and I have a full glass :) I look to other people for inspiration. Generally not the TV or You Tube but there are some folk on You Tube that are inspiring. There is a young guy on there just now, he cant be any older than his early 20s just did a build series on his AV8 coupe .. Very budget orientated and he turned out a cracking little traditional styles coupe .. Sometimes a single video presentation can nail it . There are a few videos of "the Rolling Bones" cars one in particular has a canned heat backing tune .. Great little video that is very inspiring, and the tune helps as well:)

However my biggest inspiration comes from a few of the folk I would call my friends . Despite the physical hardships and life threatening conditions a couple of them survive with, they get up and get on with life . I look at them and thank the heavens that to this day I am reasonably fit and healtht and there is no excuse not to get the work done .

Realising that building cars is not easy is the first step to success . Its the folk that think its easy that fall at the first hurdle . The challenge is to see it through. Focus and determination and driving something you created from virtually nothing is also what motivates me . I grew up with nothing held down a crap job for 30 years paid my taxes and extortionate mortgage interest drove old beaters as dailys. I dont have many trinkets, big turn ups , clean fingernails or a "better than you" attitude , I do have self respect and a will to enjoy life the way I want to without following the herd :) .

DSCF6619.JPG

14. Reidy

Reidy

Motivation is not a skill that you need to acquire, it will occur once you have a few other things sorted.
    These are an understanding of not so much what you want to achieve but why you want to achieve it.

The short version is to understand why you want to build a car. If it is to drive around in a nice car but building cars does not excite you, go and buy a complete car and and personalize it.

A few things to start the thought process. Why do you want two cars in primer? For some of us one project at a time is enough. What part of the building process do you enjoy?

What I am trying to say in the least amount of words is, once you know yourself and the real reason for wanting to build two Model A's at once the desire to achieve the outcome gives you direction. Once you have the desire and direction the thing you call motivation will naturally occur. Please note your reason why may not be something you want to share with the world, but if you understand yourself that is what really matters.

As a parting thought, if building two model A's at once starts to feel like a job instead of a hobby or a way to relax you need to reassess the why. Building stuff should bring satisfaction. That does not mean there won't be challenges but there should be a scene of satisfaction at regular intervals.

Steve from down under

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  15. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

The trick is where motivation is kept. It's not on your couch, it's not inside your TV. Motivation is hiding in your shop. Go out there and you'll find it. Same as working out. Motivation hides in the gym, or for me the lake cause I swim. I often don't feel like it but as soon as I hit the water, I'm off....

williebill, das858, redoxide and 3 others like this.
  16. Motivation ,where do you find it?
    Pretty difficult lately but I’ll never stop looking for it.

williebill and hotrodjack33 like this.
  17. LAROKE

LAROKE

Agreed. Get out there every day and do something. It's easier to keep going once you make it a habit. I stopped working on my rides for a couple of years and it was hell finding my ambition again. I got going again in the fall and worked everyday up until a few weeks ago. We've been having a few weeks of heat wave here in South Florida and it's sapped my ambition as well as a gum infection flareup that took out my pilot light. My gum infection finally subsided this past weekend. Heat wave is still on but not as intense and it's time to re-light that pilot light. I'll be out in the shop tonite.

18. X2 all the previous posts.
    Moreover, working on rusty old heaps is a Biblical mandate:

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters." Colossians 3:23

19. It is just something I have. I can't stand to have something just sitting that needs to be done. Not sure if that is a curse or a virtue.:confused:

20. I worked to get my car going for just under 2 years and only took off 6 weeks in that time due to it being way too cold in the garage (even with heat), bad snow or I was sick. Even if I wasn't working on the car there were parts to order, clean up the mess in the garage, etc.

The heart attack and surgery slowed me down in late 2016 into 2017. By late 2016 I was working on the car again, 2017 I did the rear and leaf springs in March, by April I had the big sway bar in place and later the added electric fan.

I'm always pretty motivated and hate to admit to people that the car is broken. Late 2019 it took me too long to get the jumper on my starter fixed, but it was cold out and the holidays screwed things up. My recent shifter adventure, the car was only down for 4 or 5 days.

21. wicarnut

wicarnut

Motivation, Ambition, These 2 things have seemed to go away for me in my recent senior years. I remember the days when 5 minute jobs only took 5 minutes to 5 hours, now it's 5 days LOL. All my life I was busy, too many years burned candle from both ends, no regrets, but I have adapted the "Nothing happens fast anymore" and in the " More Talk than doing " class.

22. railcarmover

railcarmover

How do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time.Error404 is spot on,I do something everyday on the junk,even if its just to stop,look and cuss at it..

23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

There are a lot of times my motivation comes from going to car shows or a swap meet. After coming back home from one it's seems for some reason it tends to motivate me to get going at it. The problem I have is the energy it takes. Maybe it's about getting older or just changes in your life situations.

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

An unfortunate side of the internet, one of which I'm guilty, is it's easier to play online than work on cars. I have an ace in the hole however: If I hang around the house long enough the wife starts in with the "You need to fix the screen door, and the this and the that, and we need to go shopping....". Nothing gets me out in the garage faster.

25. 34Larry

34Larry

My 34 IS my motivation and @ 81 knowing that time is running out is also motivation. When Moe's toy is running right and like I want it to, motivation becomes pretty hard to find so I just clean, polish, keeping her looking good. I hardly get to drive it as I have a lady who with very mild dementia dose not respect my desires and does not "get it" when it comes to our hobby. Not complaining though, because after a full life doing other major things, I have my dream car and will go out knowing the satisfaction of doing so. :D:):D

26. olds vroom

olds vroom

Motivation comes from wanting something bad enough. If these cars don’t motivate you to work on them it sounds like you don’t want it bad enough . When I built my car I spent every spare minute in the garage all winter with no heat just to have it on the road for summer. If those cars don’t motivate you maybe you should look for something that does. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. I have always done my best work, creative or otherwise, when i have been hungry.
    That has translated into being less fat or just wanting something (a goal).
    When hungry you are less satisfied and more likely to be motivated to do something. Like mow the lawn or make breakfast.
    Stay hungry and get moving.

williebill and Just Gary like this.
  28. bchctybob

bchctybob

I try to stick to the “get something done every day” philosophy. I have three projects going simultaneously so if I lack parts or inspiration for one I can proceed with the other. At 70, the heat or cold affect me more than I would like but I try to get in some work in the comfortable hours. I do give myself a day off now and then.
    Car shows, swap meets, even the H.A.M.B. can be double edged swords for me. I see nice finished cars and sometimes I’m motivated and sometimes I feel like I’ll never get there, just sell all this stuff and buy a finished car. On the H.A.M.B. I see guys blazing through a build, doing amazing work and again I think, “what the hell am I doing?”. My workmanship and patience has faded with age and eyesight but I’ve always been a builder first. Driving them is fun but participating in events has always been awkward for me.
    Motivation? There’s just nothing else I’d rather be doing.....well maybe one thing, but I’m married so that ain’t likely.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. I say we need to take care of our minds and bodies, first and foremost. Those are the most important vehicles in life. When you feel good, then you might decide you want to work on a project, instead of feeling like you have to.

There's a book I read that had "guilt-free play" as a motivator. If you always feel like you should be working, then you might resent working. Get your fill of ~fun and/or just being, then you might want to do some work on projects.

Much of our energy and moods depend on our biochemistry. It's not easy to keep balanced.

Don't tell anybody, but yoga is the best, for your mind and body. You work on getting rid of stress, relieving body aches, building your strength, and increasing flexibility.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and williebill like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, we share the malady, multiple project syndrome. I have 4 of my own unfinished, and a couple for others. Like you, I am a builder first, and wouldn't be happy buying a finished car, regardless of who built it.