Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Seventy years late

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coilover, Jul 15, 2020.

1. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I never saw making an offer as offensive, or unusual. Can't imagine why people get all worked up over a potential buyer offering less? It's the way things are always done, unless the ad says, "Firm" " Don't offer less" or something like this.
    I'd walk away if the seller raised the price because I made an offer.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have an issue with people who make an offer who haven't seen the item for sale or even spoke to me about it. I put a bike on Craigslist for $200.00 last week and get an email asking if I would take $100.00. he was ignored. put my number in the ad and I get texts. they were ignored.

finally a guy called and asked questions, he saw the pics and offered me $175.00. sold.

if selling stuff was easy everyone would be doing it. my favorite is people who look at the pictures on their tiny phone then complain about the condition easily seen in the photos and mentioned in the text and offer you less.

6inarow and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I like to haggle, and try not to offend or take offense if someone low balls me. I just tell 'em I'll keep it for that, as it isn't eating anything. If I own it, I obviously wanted it at some point.
    Having said that, on the "You don't have the money to buy it" comment- if a guy was trying to sell the item/vehicle, then yeah, that's out of line and stupid. But, there are things that money can't buy. For instance, this beat up ole '46 I drive daily. If someone truly valued it correctly, I doubt it'd be worth $12-$15k. But my standard response to anyone asking if I'd sell it is" Rockefeller don't have enough money to buy that truck." Simply put- there's not a dollar amount that would get it because I'm a sentimental sop and have too many attachments to it. My daughter might sell or give it away when I'm gone, but it won't be leaving me...

6inarow likes this.
  4. Anybody notice that the OP only posted once and got 63 replies so far?
    I've bought and sold, traded since the '60s.
    I don't mind haggling but I try to find a reasonable number before I
    advertise, and figure what I would pay for the same car.
    It's been working for years.
    PS: I don't text!
    Only phone calls!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago as guy called asking if I had a certain 40 Ford part.Let's call him Richard Cabeza (AKA dick head) I did'nt know him.
    I did not have anything for sale but he told me he needed this part asap and would only pay this much!! Bye!!

6. 5window

5window

If I really needed a part, I sure as hell wouldn't start a conversation by telling you how much I would pay!

hotrodjack33 and j hansen like this.
  7. I've solved the whole buy/sell pesky negotiation process. I don't do either anymore.

49ratfink likes this.
  8. If someone tells you "you ain't got enough money to buy this car", that translates into "Not for sale". Don't get offended, its just not for sale. Money to them is not as important as the car in question.

Sonofabob likes this.
  9. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

My wife and I are moving soon to another state. We posted some miscellaneous household items on FB Marketplace. So far we have sold 5 or 6 things - for our asking price. We priced them cheap enough to sell. Sometimes getting rid of something is the real goal.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

What does having kids in college have to do with how much the seller should sell his vehicle to you? Am I missing something here?

11. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I posted my experience where a guy did that to me , I didn't really get offended but rethinking , I think you are right , he just was not interested in selling , But dang it was a nice car.

12. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Back in 1992 or so I had a vehicle which was really nice ( not a hamb type) and some guy called , with a really smartass voice and the first thing he said was , " well tell me whats wrong with it, I said nicely, "nothing really". He asked what engine, I said 350, He said " oh a gas guzzler" I said , " well it is a 4x4 and not really expected to get good gas mileage" he jabbered a little more on other things such as ac , radio and none of it was pleasant , I listened and then said " I'm going to do you and me a favor and end this conversation now ",wished him well and hung up. I had the vehicle priced about $2000.00 below Nada good condition I think. A young girl called about an hour later , was really nice , came , looled it over and bought the vehicle . She was local and I saw her for several years driving the vehicle, would always wave a with a big smile.

5window and 6inarow like this.
  13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I just saw this thread and was reading it from the beginning.

RJP, I agree 100%. I have said the same. I only need to buy one of many. I also buy over the phone. I choose not to spend the time as a tire kicker.

14. Country Joe

Country Joe

If the price isn't tagged FIRM, I think a 15k offer on a 18k asking price sounds about right to start the conversation.
    As a buyer, I see 18k and I instinctively think the guy wants or would settle for around 16.5k - 17k. So you have to start a little lower that THAT price range. That 15k offer wasn't an insult , it was a solid start to a conversation.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  15. 5window

5window

You are correct. I have one of those. OT, but was my aunt's first car back in '65.

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to do some swap meets with my buddy Ed...who could be a little cantankerous. He had a nice '57 Chev mesh grill for $45. Guy offered him $20 for it. Ed picked it up, bent it in half, and said "now it's a $20 piece.

I, on the other hand, was easier to deal with. I had a nice '39 Ford truck grill, but the price tag had fallen off. A guy looks it over and offers me $200 for it. I said "I dunno, I want $150...we may be too far apart to deal":D

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

What’s more offensive; a guy who offers you full ask but then jerks you off, never shows up, or if he does show up, nitpicks the car and offers you less then, or a guy who makes you a low offer to begin but can show up in an hour with cash and a trailer? The former is more offensive to me. I’d much rather deal with low-ballers who are bonafide purchasers than complete dreamers.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6inarow and Wanderlust like this.
  18. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

When I sell I don't take offense to offers, If they ask if I am firm I will either say yes I am or say I have a little room make your offer ,I can say no and go our ways..When I am buying if the car looks right and the price is good I ask if they are firm.If they say make me a offer, I usually say tell me your best price. I will either buy or walk no hard feelings or insults

6inarow and 5window like this.
  19. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the best haggling lines I've used I heard right here on the HAMB. Selling an off topic shitbox for 1500$

Buyer : so.....you stuck at 1500 ?
    Me: oh no....I'll take more.

We both laughed and he handed me 1500$.

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6inarow, 5window and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. I don't like pompous asses so my response to the "you don't have enough money to buy it" is "well, I have enough to buy 6 just like it so I guess it's not for sale".

21. This made me think of something that happened about 1957 or so. School pal and I are wandering around L.A. used car lots. He has some money from selling a car or something. We pop into this little car lot to look at a '46-'48 Ford coupe. He asks the salesman how much they want for it. Wise ass salesman looks at these 2 kids and says I doubt you can afford it. Pal pulls out a large wad of cash and waves it in front of the surprised salesman. Then we leave. It was sweet.

6inarow and jimmy six like this.
  22. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

People get butt hurt. LOL

chopped likes this.
  23. 5window

5window

I agree. We don't need more jerks in the world. I have a car that's not for sale. If you ask, I'd just politely tell you why I didn't want to sell it. What's gained by being an ass?

6inarow, clunker and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I like when they think I am stupid kinda entertaining, I have had the halfway offers and I usually respond with yes but I need a nonrefundable deposit to cover my time and cost if you don't buy the car

25. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Probably gets you a lot of cars LOL.

5window likes this.
  26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's actually how I bought my last Thunderbird.

I had acquired a brand new set of 14" Astro Surpremes with near perfect skinny whites on them, but didn't have a car to put them on. I had $5000 I figured I could blow on a car I really didn't need. I went on FB marketplace and messaged every person selling a '65 or earlier Thunderbird for $10,000 or less that ran and drove, offering half of what they were asking. Everyone told me to fuck myself. Except one guy. Who took my offer, and scored me a gorgeous 64 coupe with factory air. I put my wheels and tires on and drove the balls off that car.

6inarow and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. 5window

5window

There's always an exception that proves the rule.

VANDENPLAS likes this.