Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonofabob, Jul 18, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

When we were kids dad would always take us to Holland state park in the Shelby with the top down and black vinyl seats. We learned quick and hard to get that beach towel tucked in tight on the seat or risk third degree burns

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25 years ago we drove to Phoenix over 4th of July for a friend's parent's 50th wedding anniversary. It was in the middle of a heat wave, 115 on the I-10 driving in at 10 in the morning. We passed a roofing tear off truck obviously on the way to the dump with a full load of tear off shingles. The truck had no a/c since both windows in the cab were down. My wife commented about the poor driver having no a/c. I told her he was loving life since he had just come off a roof were it was north of 140 degrees. Driving down the freeway with 2 60 air conditioning was like heaven to the driver. It was on that trip that my toddler son learned the meaning of the word hot.

Truck64 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at this there is a reason why Poulsbo, Wa is one of my favorite places. One of the few places I'd move to.
    It's been right around 100 here in the Valley this week. I'd say that as you get older your tolerance for heat goes down a bit. I'm ok if I am in the shade with a breeze blowing but can't do the direct sun for long.
    Stay Hydrated, lots of water or Gatorade or similar drinks.

2020-07-19.png

Sonofabob likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeh, but don't forget about 41 inches of rain on the average per year.:cool:

5. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

It ended up being a fairly nice morning, so myself and the little roadster went for a drive down old hwy 40. It was a good day.

6. error404

error404
    from CA

When I was in college in Arizona, I had a black Camaro with T-tops, black interior, and no A/C.

I don't know how I did it. I could never do that again, but I don't remember it bothering me THAT much back then. But I do remember having heat soak issues in the carburetor, ended up making a wood spacer with a shield that extended out over the manifold.

Summers there easily reach 115 regularly. And with all that concrete, it wouldn't cool off as much as you would like it to at night in the city. It would outside of the city, but not where all the concrete was.

Sonofabob likes this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Went to a car show with my friend in his '56 Corvette with the top down..He hadn't had the car long and took a highway route. We couldn't believe how hot and dead the air was around our heads at 65 mph, just no breeze/circulation so it was a miserable hot ride:confused:..A few days later he was telling a mutual friend about how hot it was and the friend asked if he had the cowl vent openo_O Argh, probably would have helped.. ...

Sonofabob, 427 sleeper and scotty t like this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Temp outside is 97°, with 32% humidity and feels like 98°. Hot in the shade and damn hot in the sun.!. My garage is 75° and 55% with out the AC on and I still can't get my butt in gear to do something. I guess I'm sick. Watching race.

Sonofabob likes this.
  9. This is a bit too hot.
    1826EB47-66E2-49E7-BF8E-DDC5C36F9881.jpeg

10. Stock cars were ovens in the summers when we ran heat races under the sun. I put a stick-on thermometer on the mirror one night, glanced up at it and it was 130. With the fire suit and helmet, I'd drop 5 to 7 pounds on a Saturday night.

I was at a beach cruise this morning and it was hot by 8. Lots of cars there, triple black and no AC. On the way out there was stopped traffic for a spell. My car never got past 185, other cars were pulled over.

Sonofabob likes this.
  11. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm heat-sensitive/cold-insensitive, so I gradually go into full-blown aestivation above about 27°C/80°F. I'm comfortable in jeans and a T-shirt at 18°C/64°F, when people shiver and look at me strangely. The presence of pre-war automobiles in any numbers has been known to wake me up at far higher temperatures, though.

Sonofabob likes this.
  12. mopar57

mopar57

I work on roofs in Tucson fixing a/c units. I can handle driving with the windows down with a roof over your head but in a roadster I bet it would brutal on the hot days.

Sonofabob likes this.
  13. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

I remember they made us take salt tabs at Parris Island. I heard they stopped the practice years later, it did more bad than good. As far as roadsters go, I had a Model A,
    always thought of getting another one but after some bouts with skin cancer and bad heat decided not to. Of course I was 18 then and the sun didn’t seem as strong back then , True I could get a top. Roadsters are great on a warm night but how often would you want to drive at night anyway with all the nuts out there on the road.

Sonofabob likes this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sweating is complicated. Sweat all the time, hot or cold weather, at rest, working? I sweat like Niagara falls only when I work, regardless of outside temp. Thought maybe it was age but apparently there is no correlation. Could be blubber as I'm 20lbs. heavier (220) than I should be. Medical factors, thyroid, diabetes etc. can cause excessive sweating, none of which I have. Not really a problem other than going though a lot of clothing and water.

Sonofabob likes this.
  15. Sonofabob, I realize that putting a top on your roadster isn't an option with the low windshield. Putting a t bucket tall clunky windshield would definitely not work with the style of your car. I know because mine is similar. What gets me, is climbing back into it on a hot day when the seats are the temperature of the surface of the sun! To me, driving a roadster or convertible is all about the unimpeded view of your surroundings, rather than the fresh air... 20200526_170856.jpg

Sonofabob likes this.