Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Era Street/Strip Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Aug 1, 2019.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Fraternal twins. :)

mad mikey and Thor1 like this.
  2. WOW! I just went to Model A Drag car heaven !:D Very happy for you Brent. :) My coupe is jealous . LOL.

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

:D Your coupe shouldn't be jealous - it actually runs and drives unlike those two...

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Picking up the Coupe - Part 4. Dragging West.

The weather forecast showed mostly clear skies the whole way home. With so many parts raw and the trailer open beneath the car, I wanted to get at least a bit of protection in case something happened and the weather changed.

Gibb's was wiped on the chassis and most everything else that was bare metal. Then, after messing around with the cars in the shop, we got it up on the trailer.

I had the bright idea to shrink-wrap the whole car. You know the boat winterizing stuff? I attempted to go bottom-up, but that was a fail. I learned some lessons and turned attention to wrapping the top. I'd never done shrink-wrapping before, but the trial-by-fire was a great way to learn.

I'll say this, the shape of a chopped Model A is not conducive to shrink wrapping. If it were painted, it would be destroyed. I know what I'd do next time if I had to. Hahaha.

By the time the car was ready to go, the sun had come up. I'll say this; we had the best working temps in those overnight hours.

Ready to roll. Tape was put on and sharp edges or wear points and then I got wild with it on loose areas and the overlap. That's some of the best tape!

Model A in Shrink Wrap.jpg

Air went right under the car and inflated the shrink wrap. On the highway, it looked like I was towing a hot air balloon with mags and slicks. You can see that it's kind-of "baggy" now.

Heading Home with the Model A Coupe on the Trailer.jpg

The next morning, I woke up with a plan to get the balloon under control (so I could drive faster now that I was rested.)

Model A Hot Rod Coupe  Coming Back Home Shrink Wrap.jpg

It made it a bit better.

Wrapped Model A in the Rearview.jpg

There were a few repairs to be made, but it was holding up okay. Seriously, that shrink wrap tape is awesome.

Frame Horn Poking out of Shrink Wrap.jpg

... until the perimeter strap broke. That's what kept it all in place. I cut the wrap off, stuffed it into the coupe's trunk and wrapped the visor. Even though the header panel is 18ga and there are no windows in the car, I didn't want to mess it up going 85mph for 800ish miles. (Somewhere in Nebraska)

Model A Hot Rod Coupe  Coming Back Home in Nebraska.jpg

Model A Hot Rod Coupe  on Trailer Coming Back Home in Nebraska.jpg

Always be prepared. Wrapped and back at it in minutes. The car towed A LOT better uncovered.

Model A Visor Wrapped.jpg

I had a bunch of thumbs up on the road and people stopping by each time I got fuel to ask, "what is it?" while the car was under wraps. When it was uncovered, car guys made a point to pull up and wave or thumbs-up or make their way across the lot to chat while I was fueling.

It was late when I finally made it home. I got the car off the trailer (on my own) and pushed it into the messy garage.

Next up is to make a new plan of attack. There's a bunch of little BS work to fix (man that shop screwed it up) and I'm going to learn the art of hammer and dolly work. But, for the next month, it'll sit as I wrap up some other projects so when it's time to work on the coupe, it's the only thing in the space.

Thanks for following along this far. I appreciate it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  5. Glad you got her home safe. A job well done Brent.:);)

6. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brent,

Up to this point you have had a memorable build on the car and it is only fitting that you made some memories picking up the car and hauling it back home! Something to smile about in the years to come as look back on the history of the car - Good times!

Steve

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

For sure good times! Lots more to go!

31chevymike, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. -Brent-

-Brent-

No progress to report. However, the car isn't lacking attention.

FLOOR IT Clara.jpg

She was sitting in the coupe, daydreaming, and we were chatting as I was working on something else, I told her to "Floor it!"

I think she'll be the perfect driver when I am too old to row through the gears. :cool:

9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's AWESOME!!! If that don't put a smile on your face, nothing will!!! TOO :cool:!

10. loudbang

loudbang

Hand on the shifter and making VVVRRROOOMMM noises she's a cute little keeper :)

catdad49, Stogy, enloe and 3 others like this.
  11. AHotRod

AHotRod

I feel in love with hard-core Model A Coupes 55+ years ago Brent, and still love 'em today, and your new creation is a favorite. Well done.

catdad49, Stogy, UNSHINED 2 and 8 others like this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Agreed! It's why I had to share.

Dude, no vrooms for her. She's a whaah, whaaaaaaahhh, whaaaaaaaAAAAAH!

:D

Wow. Such an incredible compliment. Thank you. There's more to come.

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Any time I start to feel like bagging mine when problems come up, or for any inspiration, all I have to do is visit this thread and the inspiration comes rushing back! Makes me want to thrash away to get mine done. Awesome and inspirational.....that's all I can say!

15. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

I just read this whole thread this evening, great hot rod and awesome thread!!!!

Sent from my moto g(7) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Is it me, or does that coupe look like it’s about to boil those hides at either Famoso or Lions.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Lemme guess, project supervisor, right?

18. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

Really cool build!
    Looks awesome!
    What carburetors are those? Is that airhorn on them stock or an aftermarket part? Reminds me of the early Holley Dominators that had the four venturis sticking up (almost like they wanted to put a choke on right!).

Stogy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

man both of those coupes are awesome. that shop is great as well

20. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Tough as fucking nails.
    Keep on keeping on Brent.

mad mikey, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, man!

This next week we'll have a small update. I haven't worked on the car, other than piddling around with a tape measure, some Play-Doh (seriously :D) and putting a few plans together.

The more I dink around with the car, the more stuff I find on the body that needs attention. There are some pinholes in the chop welds (in the back), I found a couple other areas that shop screwed up that sealed the car (why they messed around still baffles me) that need repair. If anyone has the inner structure of a 30/31 A door for my driver's side, I want one.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  22. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

That is an awesome build, I enjoyed reading every thing about it. I've always loved deuce roadsters, but now that I've had my A for about 7 years I'm really partial to model A's. Your A is superb can't wait to see it done.

23. AndysComet

AndysComet
    from SOMD

Just read through this, thanks for sharing. Stuff like this renews my faith in humans a little bit. Everyone involved seems like a solid person and helps remind me to strive to be better at a lot of things. Killer car man

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Andy, we gotta talk about this for a moment because you brought up something that's so important to me. Not just about hot rodding but about life.

When it comes to this coupe and my ideas/dream/vision/plan/whatever you want to call it, I chose guys who "get it." Yes, it cost me money dragging this project around the country but that's nothing compared to getting help from people who don't care and don't get it.

Here's the thing, too, these guys Matt, Ryan, Brian, Andy, et al. - they're good, passionate men. It's true, they're skilled/talented, there's no denying that. But, they're quality guys. They really care.

You see that and I appreciate those who do, we need more men who favor those qualities. Thank you for bringing it up. I'm of the opinion, now, that seeing that quality in others is far harder to see for those not looking for it. And, RIGHT NOW, with all that's going on - we need more of it.

25. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well said Brent and you are definitely correct in your thoughts it should go with out saying but I’m gonna say it anyway your car is so bitchin

catdad49, enloe, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  26. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This build continues to impress, Brent. I need to build a drag coupe in a bad way!

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Can you just vacation out here for a week and teach me how to get this body straight? :cool: And thanks, man! Your vid of your coupe ripping down the street is a favorite of mine.

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Wrenchbender!

29. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would have been awesome to hammer on your coupe and then hit Bonneville Speed Week..

30. AndysComet

AndysComet
    from SOMD

You hit it spot on. Talent can be learned in some cases, in others it can't, haha. End of the day, having someone that really cares is more help than most realize.