Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. coast40

coast40

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Coast, I started a thread on that a few days ago. I probably posted these shots of the starting line at McMinnville before. Is that your (Don Britt's) coupe near the tower ? 2013-11-07 111414.jpg 2013-11-07 111019.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Stogy likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got these shots of Larry Kalsch's 56 Bird over the weekend, taken at PIR. Not sure if it had the 427 High Riser, or if he had switched to the Cammer at this time. The car was clean and understated, for a 9 second drag car. img20200712_0011.jpg img20200712_0010.jpg

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry flipped the T-Bird at the top end @ Seattle in '72, due to a slimy track. The best time for it was 9.62 @ 152. The following winter he built the '27 Roadster. My late Brother Jerry, and I built the main frame at Larry's shop. I hauled my Tig Welder down there and built the roll cage and a fuel/water tank to fit in the grille shell. Howard Bacon built the headers and did all of the fiberglass work. Jerry Hill did the tin work. Dan Donaca painted it, at The Paint Shoppe. Larry designed a special hood scoop, to fit over the injectors. Larry wanted air intake velocity at high speed, that required a small front opening, but leaving the line @ 10,000 needed a larger opening. The back of scoop had a hinged door that was open at rest, with a light spring, allowing it to suck air through that opening. At 35 mph, the door would close, and all of the air entered through the front. Larry campaigned the car from 73 to 79, running a best of 9.09 @ 150. He is still building race engines and runs a late Model Stock Car with his son Christopher doing the driving. He is a genius and a good friend, and is going to help me with my 29 RPU, B/SR. These shots are from Mission B.C. Kalsch at Mission cropped.jpg Kalsch at Mission2.jpg

5. JOHN UNDERWOOD

JOHN UNDERWOOD

I worked for Larry in the mid to eight late eighties. That's how I met you, Rocket Man. I bought that bathroom blue '65 Ford wagon from him in about '90. Glad to hear Larry is still working engine magic. Nice to see you still turning wrenches too. Have any photos of Larry's rear motored dragster?

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

John, what happened to Robbie Robinson's 62 Impala, better known as "Hokies Pizza" ? Last I heard, it belonged to you. As memory serves, last time I saw you was at the Gearhart Speedway .

7. JOHN UNDERWOOD

JOHN UNDERWOOD

When I moved to Long Beach in '87 I took that car with me. I had fully intended to get a motor in it but the wife ( now the ex wife ) was having none of that. So the car was sold to one of the Beach Baron members for his son to build. A few years later I asked about it and was told it was too big a project for the kid and it sort of fell off the face of the earth. What did you do with that green Olds you bought from my brother in law.?

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great car, best $125.00 I ever spent. I even raced it at Woodburn, should have never sold it ! img20200804_0014.jpg

nosford and Stogy like this.
  9. JOHN UNDERWOOD

JOHN UNDERWOOD

Yep, I watched lumber down the strip at wood burn with its American mags

10. earlymopar

earlymopar

I remember Robbie Robinson's black 57 Chevy race car and his black (nearly identical) 57 Chevy tow car.

- EM

11. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

There was a guy from Eugene named Tom Swartzlander (?) who had a black 40 Ford coupe that ran well back in the early 1960's

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Robbie's 57 was built in California and raced by Cal Price, with Jack Bayer horsepower. It was sold to Oregonian Don Larson who raced it for a time, until selling it to Robbie. Jack Bayer also built the 409's for Robbie's 62 Impala. In the 70's, a friend from work told about buying an old 57 Chevy drag car. When I went to look at it, just driving into his driveway, I could spot "Jack Bayer Racing Engines" on the front fender. It got restored and back to street use.

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Among many other cars, in later years he had an L-88 roadster (real one).
    By the way Greg, how have you been?

14. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks for the back ground on the 57' Marty. It sure got around.

15. earlymopar

earlymopar

Doing fine Doug but like most, being especially cautious these days. Fortunately for most of us, there are always "things" in the shop or garage to do! I hope all is well with you too.

16. h gasser

h gasser

vintage Oregon racing posters

Attached Files:

17. earlymopar

earlymopar

My brother bumped into Terry Tindle (Bob's brother) the other day at a storage facility where they both store cars and parts. They see each other there once or twice a year. Terry is getting-on but is doing well and mentioned he's pairing his car and part collection down a bit (but it sounds like not too much). A great guy who has been a family friend since the mid-60's.
    - EM

saltracer219 likes this.
  18. verde742

verde742

good to hear, I have also known Terry ( Bob RIP ) since the early 60's.

had a lot of laughs with Terry many times..

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

20. verde742

verde742

So sorry to hear of Gary's passing. He was a real kick to spend time with....
    Was it Covid ?

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary was a good friend, and lived only 12 miles from me, last saw him at the Chinese restaurant in Banks (he was regular there). Wayne Miller took this photo of Gary's 34 @ Scappoose, that was featured in Hot Rod, and is now owned by Tim Schnell. Gary was hell on wheels, with a "Motor Sickle" as he pronounced it. I remember when he had (200) Triumph Cub's, and with quite a collection of 650's and bigger. He was a member of the Road Angels, very prominent club, and owned a nice (HAMB Friendly) 35 Roadster at his passing. And as Bob stated, Gary was a lot of fun, always had a smile. He was good to me, and sponsored some of my race cars with chrome plating. Gary, Old Buddy, you will be missed, R.I.P. my friend ! 2013-05-06 202827.jpg

22. Hi earlymopar,

We are working on a documentary about Shelby Cobra CSX-2075 which was raced by Chet McFallo during the 1960 and 70s. I already stumble over a couple of picture from the car and our shooting in Woodburn in this forum ;)
    We are looking for old archive footage to give the viewer a feeling for the drag racing scene back then and somehow I stumbled over the video you shared from your neighbour. I was wondering if there is a chance you could get us in touch with him?

Kind regards,
    Michael

chryslerfan55 and 30ARoadster like this.
  23. earlymopar

earlymopar

I'd be happy to put you two in contact Michael. Give me a few days to get in touch with him and get his contact info. for you.

- Greg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Wow that's great. Thanks a lot Greg!
    I wasn't able to start a private conversation here on the forum but feel free to get in touch via mail. Here is my mail-adress: [email protected]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Michael, I sent you a message with some sample footage from 1965 and up, shot here in Oregon.

26. earlymopar

earlymopar

E-mail sent Michael.

- Greg

27. "As I remember, Diane ran this one in C/SA, and in 1965 Bill was still running the Thunderbolt in A/MP. For 1966, Bill got the A/FX Mustang that Gas Rhonda raced the prior year, it had an injected High Riser and was orange, The Trojan Horse. He also ran it in white as the Klein Bird"

I was at the Madras airport in 65 or 66 to watch the drags. I think it was the first time I attended legal drag racing and I was standing near the launch area when Ireland came to the line with his Ford Thunderbolt. Hammered the loud pedal and the left side wheel studs snapped off. The crowd went "OOOooooo.
    I believe it was the same day that Mac Claypool [Redmond] brought his shiny new yellow 64 (I think} Impala and locked up the rear end on launch...both cars had to be removed on a floor jack..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry Anderson sent me this tonight. The Ace at (I believe Mac) circa 1963. No info on the car. Ed and his Brother Dan, had Dragster, Young Ace.JPG before he drove for Ernie Hall.

29. Neat dragster, but man that 58 Impala in the background is what my eye drawn to. Thats a good looking mild custom.

30. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

An Ace beats a King every time...