Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "You didn't build that" 27 T Roadster build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Glad to see these two projects happening, Eric. Having the shop will make things easy with your car projects.
    I won't be making it over your way this year as planned due to being just too darn busy at home but should be there next year. JW

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’d say no to the work bay pit.
    Unless they have proper ventilation and lighting they can be dangerous.

Some places won’t allow them to be installed in a home setting when it comes to permitting or even insurance.

I’d much rather have the roof height for a good hoist.

daddio211 likes this.
  3. You're thinking of nasty old school, oil change pits. Not those. New old school.

My uncle has a badass home work pit. Cinder block building, 12 foot bays, & a metal roof. Used to work on big dump trucks, collector cars, whatever. Painter, fabricator, & mechanic. One of the best.

Ventilation isn't an issue. There's no difference 6' above the floor, on the floor or 6' below. Just breathe. Pits are for tool boxes & tools. No storage of chemicals & liquids. This is a home garage. It's a poor man's lift. Can't go up .. so go down.

Fluorescent wall lights have plenty of light. You have to see to work. Otherwise it's just a hole. No more dangerous than using a 6' ladder is. Be careful.

I like lifts .. but I love work bay pits. Garage pit, grease pit, car pit .. look it up. Lots of homeowner DIY projects out there. Lots of contractors too. Most are cinder block pits, because they're cheap & easy.

No insurance issues. Too many going in ! I'll attach some random pictures .. too tired to be specific .. but it'll surprise you. A regular rabbit hole of people putting pits in all over the country.

Didn't want to derail the thread. Apologies Daddio. Apologies Big Blue One.
    20200305_221100.jpg

20200305_221013.jpg

4. daddio211

daddio211

I've really considered having a pit in the shop. Problem here is the water table is just too high - I'd be standing knee deep in water for a good part of the year!

5. And a GR8 place for everything ya don't want to fall into it will., been der done dat. Nooooooooooooooooo

Blue One and daddio211 like this.
  6. Saying farewell to my best bud, Eric after working on the Roadster. Would have liked to have had time to finish the job on the front end. :cool::cool: JW
    [​IMG]

Stogy, daddio211, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. Hey Brother, any news....Roadster......Shop.....Pool ? JW

daddio211, Stogy, OFT and 1 other person like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...Happy Birthday @daddio211....updates...any more wobbleisiousness...;)

daddio211, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  9. Was just talking to Eric by phone and there is no progress to report, maybe soon.:cool::D JW

daddio211, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cake and Camber?...:)

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Cake and camber and new shop pictures too?

I can hardly contain myself the excitement is overwhelming ;):D:D

daddio211, Outback and loudbang like this.
  12. 66GTOChris

66GTOChris

My profile pic is of a car my dad and I built when I was in high school. Aging myself a bit but the title was issued in March 1992. I can try to find some old pics of the build but not promising anything

daddio211, rjgideon and loudbang like this.
  13. daddio211

daddio211

Hey fellas, nothing really to report. Been a super busy summer and work has been good. I'm in telecom so with all of this covid crap I've been busy selling and installing new technology for businesses needing to move people home to work. No complaints.

The shop is on hold, as is the pool. It's a big, convoluted mess, but the short version is that the appraisal company pushed back our closing 2 1/2 weeks. On our scheduled close date the feds pulled all non-QM funding so our loan was halted. None of this is hot rod related but that's why the shop isn't already finished. The backyard is all weeds again.

I have one thing to report on the roadster. Just one. On July 2nd an old friend called me and asked if I'd join him. The Commemorative Air Force had two vintage bombers in town for a small airshow, a B17 and a B25. He was asked by the one of the members to bring his Plymouth out, in uniform, for a few pics. So off we went. Pics below.

Victoria's roadster.jpg
    74432375_10218168833240705_9117789635447328587_o.jpg

106753573_10218168830800644_8844611620154128099_o.jpg
    106778736_10218164064761496_2125423913229603267_o.jpg

106909145_10218164064361486_7887847496538280600_o.jpg 106982013_10218168834120727_6157954754149982485_o.jpg

14. lake_harley

lake_harley

I had not looked at this thread in quite some time but I just looked at the plans for your shop. I think the front view will be awesome, as it reminds me of an older 2-bay gas station with the office off to one side. As far as size, I'd say 40' X 50' is plenty big to do a LOT of stuff. My shop is 32' X 48' with a dividing wall 2' off center, so my "shop" side is 26' wide and 32' deep with a 10' door and has in-floor hot water heat. The "storage" side is 22' wide and 32' deep with an old 4-post ramp-style lift and a 14' door and is unheated.

Years ago I ran a small metal fabrication business out the building along with selling circle track racing parts. At one time I had one full time and 2 part time employees along with me working in the building. It got kinda tight sometime, but it kept us a lot more organized to make it work. I think sometime going bigger can create as many problems as solving any. With more room I think there is more chance of getting a bit sloppy and really not getting more enjoyment from the building or getting more done. It's what you DO in the shop that counts, not the size of the shop, or if your toolbox is bigger than your buddy's tool boxes! I get a lot more done in my shop than my friends who have those garage-mahal shops with epoxy floors, perfect drywall, porcelain signs and all that man-cave stuff.

Sorry for my soap-box opinion and I'll go sit back down now.

BTW....the roadster looks fantastic!

Lynn

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  15. Hey, Eric, Summer is nearly with you and time for the new front axle etc. This car needs driving. Hope all are well and thing are grand with you.
    Cheers, Jeremy:D

16. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Jeremy, sure miss you and the Mrs!

Still alive here, still haven't done squat with the roadster in a LOOOONG time. We have some big changes coming soon that will put the roadster back on the front burner. I'll report more when things are firmed up.

Hope everyone here is doing well. I've been so busy with work I've pretty much disappeared from all forms of social media.

Outback, rjgideon, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  17. I was going to have a word with you about that......

Outback, daddio211, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. Great to hear from you, Eric and so glad things are going well and the Roadster will be there when you are ready. :cool::cool: JW

Outback, daddio211, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. Happy 50th, Eric. Have a great day with you lovely family. Miss ya Bud. All the best, Jeremy and Mandy.
    PS; your last birthday wish is also on this page.;):rolleyes:

loudbang and Outback like this.
  20. I have heard through the grape vine that a new shop is nearly done. JW

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    OFT and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  21. daddio211

daddio211

Been forever friends, sorry. Very little to tell about the roadster but that will be changing soon. I've been extremely busy working and putting money away and finally have ROOM to work on my cars!

This isn't a thread about the shop, so I'll just attach thumbnails and descriptions.

01.jpg
    120 yards of road base hauled in and compacted.

02.jpg
    Footings dug with a 20" bucket. Far too wider than needed, but we were pressed for time. Cost a lot more in concrete, of course.

03.jpg
    Rebar in, footings poured.

04.jpg
    Pad poured, no slope. It doesn't rain here and I don't wash cars inside. Nice, flat floor to build cars on!

05.jpg
    Shop crew showed up Friday morning at 10:30. Took this pic Saturday morning before the crew returned.

06.jpg
    Saturday at 6:30 PM the crew were finished. Three guys. Yes, I fed them well and kept the cooler stocked. :)

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg
    Because I get asked often, this isn't a Versatube building. I think it's identical, but Versatube is a brand name.

10.jpg
    Skid loader, mini-ex and backhoe all gone so the wife's Jeep was used to compact the entry. Shovel, wheel barrow, hose, Jeep. Done.

11.jpg
    Garage doors were originally supposed to be installed the second week of June. I should have gotten that in writing, but they're now pushed back to mid-July. Granted, they're being custom made. Doors will be insulated steel, oak finish, with a row of windows at eyeball height. Garage door openers are side mounted to give me more ceiling room. Hence the temporary wood framed "doors."

I also picked up a two post lift I'll get installed when I get a tractor back here to tip it up.

Trying to figure out insulation now. I planned on doing spray-in closed cell foam but I got two prices: $13,900, and $14,900. That's not happening. I've also looked at mineral wool (too expensive), foam insulation boards (too low of r-value) and fiberglass. Not sure what I'm going to do.

I should have some roadster updates coming soon, thanks for sticking with me. Also, I just noticed that September will be 10 years since this thread began!

22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

The new shed will be wonderful! Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

daddio211 likes this.
  23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That floor looks big enough to see the curvature of the earth.

daddio211 likes this.
  24. You won't know yourself when its all set up and your projects in there. Way cool Buddy and good things are worth waiting for....enjoy.
    Cheers, Jeremy:cool::cool::cool:

daddio211 likes this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That looks really nice Eric.
    I know what they say about spending someone else’s money but if I was building that shop I’d go for the spray foam and get it sealed up tight and make it as thick as I possibly could.
    The payback will come during the cold weather when heating costs will be a whole lot less and in the heat of the summer walking in and feeling like the building is air conditioned from the coolness of the concrete and the insulation keeping the heat out would be priceless.

I’d then buy enough of this product to finish the walls and ceilings but first of course lots of electrical outlets and lots of LED lighting.

https://trusscore.com/products/wall-and-ceilingboard.html

E5F9C990-1A68-4283-B396-5AEDA9D58BC1.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    26 T Ford RPU and daddio211 like this.
  26. Didn't mention anything on FB but look into spraying the foam yourself. You can buy the gun and materials in bulk. I did a bunch of it in a remodel for a friend a few years ago.

27. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for following along!

Ha! It's "only" 60' x 30'. I had planned to do 60' x 40' but the cost was almost double. The type of steel they use for the walls and trusses has to be doubled if we go over 30', an additional cost I wasn't willing to pay for an extra 800 square feet. I considered going 80' x 30' to recoup so of that but it wouldn't leave me much room for outdoor parking.

Sure do miss you and Mandy! Come visit again soon! Can't wait to get everything moved in and set up!

Wow! That Trusscore stuff is AWESOME! I'll price it out versus drywall, tape and paint, but I'm sure it'll be more expensive. Regarding insulation, since I won't spend all day in the shop (a few evenings and most weekends) a lighter R factor should suffice. Doesn't get very cold down here even in the winter, think Phoenix and Las Vegas temperatures minus 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Summers are another story though, with 110 F being common.

I can deal with the cold days using a small local heater, but the heat is unbearable in the summer so AC is absolutely in the near future.

28. daddio211

daddio211

Good to know! Do you remember any brand or product names? Not really sure what to look for.

29. daddio211

daddio211

YIKES! Trusscore is $3.25 a square foot!!!! That's over $18,000 for my shop, plus freight! It's really cool, but not $18K cool!

30. Google DIY Spray insulation. I think we used DOW

OFT and daddio211 like this.