Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hood Clearance Issues - '56 Chevy, SBC, 4-71, Holley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Jul 16, 2020.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

After collecting the pieces for 50+ years, I set about to mock up this combination. Can't close the hood! If I use a Holley with the choke horn milled off (including the vent tubes), it would be close, but no room for any type air cleaner of even a hose to a remote AC.

The way I see it there are 2 choices:
    1) Lower the engine (probably 3" or more)
    2) Add a hood scoop or bubble.

Lowering the engine would require going to an electric fuel pump and probably notching the front crossmember, and likely other mods that aren't readily apparent. It still uses the front and bell housing mounts, which I would be willing to change if it would get the engine enough lower.

The scoop would be easy but I haven't seen one I like, with the possible exception of the Ford T-Bolt one. I'm sure I've seen this sometime in the past but can't find a picture of one now.

So, has anyone got experience with this or any other possibilities? I'm not into just cutting a hole for an air cleaner to poke through. I do have a spare hood but don't want to cut it up unless I'm sure it will have the look I want.

I know @squirrel had a BBC/Blower combination in his '55, but don't remember if it had a scoop.

Thanx,

Bruce

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

You have three choices: cut a hole in the hood and run an air cleaner, or leave the hood off, or leave the blower off.

I played with scoop ideas for years, I even half way made one from aluminum, but never finished it, because it looked goofy when I put it on the car. It just had to be too big, to cover everything.

Lots of guys are content to run the cast aluminum injector type scoops, often with tiny air cleaners inside them. I've always been more concerned with performance than looks. so I had no trouble leaving air cleaners and carbs hanging out in the breeze. And it works fine, lots and lots of street miles, and a good number of dragstrip passes.

Good luck in your decision, it's not easy.

55finished.jpg

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

:D I really just wanted you to post a picture of that 55 :D

4. badvolvo

badvolvo

If I choose to run a blower, it's sticking out cause I want to see and hear it.

Thor1, loudbang, chevy57dude and 2 others like this.

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

mill down the intake and carb adapter - cut the airhorns like you said - set the motor down and back just a bit so it doesn't require major surgery - I bet it can be done with a little here and a little there approach - I did it with a tunnel ram in my '55 - with the air horns milled off, i just sat the small air cleaner element right on the carb to pick up 3/4 of an inch or so.....Go for it - keeping it under the hood will be cool!

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The carb adapter is 1/16" thick. To keep the stock hood, the motor has to go 'DOWN'!

7. I put a teardrop scoop on a 55 that I helped a buddy with 25 years ago for this same reason.

231ACCBD-7D47-4C04-BEA4-D165EA7CE574.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That looks good to me!

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I've decided not to pursue lowering the engine.

Anybody got any other scoops or bubbles they think looks good?

Post 'em up!!!

Thor1, loudbang and Tim like this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel's has the look to me. We did the same on a black 57 BelAir several years ago.

12. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Performance wise, I think the open element air cleaner sticking out of the hood is the best bet. But if you have your heart set on a scoop, there's always the Pontiac Super Duty style of scoop. I think VFN makes them in an assortment of sizes.

ekimneirbo, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

I remember a magazine A few years ago that had a 57 chevy with a blower under the hood. The engine was lowered to where the pan was about 4 inches off the road.

14. As much as I liked the car I hated the tacky hood scoop. HRP

[​IMG]

Thor1, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  15. Fordors

Fordors

I agree, tacky for sure but that style was on plenty of early Pro Stocks and Modified Production cars. It was a tested and proven design.

Thor1 likes this.
  16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I would raise the motor just enough to see half of the top blower drive & belt! Buy a good quality glass hood, cut the shit out of it, save the steel one for posterity reasons..................

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    rbrewer, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thor1, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The Unlimited is a tad high for my liking.

Definitely no Two Lane Blacktop!

I'd like to see the article on the '57 with the blower under the hood. Probably not practical but might be interesting to see how it was done.

19. [​IMG]
    How about a clear scoop? '56 Chevy sheet metal isn't scarce or anything. Plus you have a spare hood. Cut the one you have to let a velocity stack hang out, then decide if you really want to hide it!

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I remember a 57 chev in the magazines probably back in the early 70's with a 4-71 blown small block. It had an adapter mounted to the top of the blower that swooped down and mounted a single holley next to the blower. this car ran a stock hood.....

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Moriarity i think offenhauser made/makes those

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thor1, loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I have thought about the elephant trunk. The engine might still have to be lowered but not much.

The clear scoop is something I hadn't considered.

Appreciate everyone's input.

Thor1, loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  25. I like the colored lexan blog_blasph1.jpg

26. squirrel

squirrel

it's ok...I guess...

(and yeah, he's faster than me)

rk17.jpg

wheeldog57, Thor1, 1934coupe and 3 others like this.
  27. Not by much big boy ;) everytime I watch that episode of roadkill i scream "there's squirrel from the hamb!" I know it's off topic on this thread, but what was your average when it was all done?

28. squirrel

squirrel

averaged 10.15 at 132. Car is only legal to run 10.00

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bruce, some time back on another related thread I posted about this and when I found the photo someone had nicknamed the carb adapter(s) a "water buffalo" style adapter.
    I looked yesterday with no results but like @Moriarity said it was a 57, pretty sure it was a Nomad, not positive though, it may have been a modified GMC piece, I also seem to recall it being a 6-71 blower on the car, pretty ingenious solution.
    I'll look for it some more today.

Thor1 likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

I had thought about doing something like that years ago, never got anywhere with it.

also a 57 has a lower hood line than the 55-56....and big blocks are taller than small blocks...so a small block in a 55-6 is the most likely combo to be able to make it work

Thor1, 427 sleeper and kidcampbell71 like this.