Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonofabob, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

So here in Kansas we have a heat index of 105-110 today. Way too hot for the roadster in my opinion. Maybe it's me getting older. Or maybe I'm being overprotective on my nailhead. I'm running an electric fan as there's no room for a standard fan blade set up. I guess my question is what is too hot for the rest of the folks here. I do more driving of my car rather than sitting behind it in a lawn chair.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Too hot for you? or for the engine? The engine will probably be ok up to 230 or so, but not much higher. The carb might start boiling before then....

3. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Mostly too hot for me. Engine runs right around 180 consistently.

4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in my OT MG days I found that running with the top up was the way to go on really hot days. Still not cool but much better than the direct sun beating down on you.

rusty valley and pitman like this.

5. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

I have an OT Mustang I drive on super hot days like today. But it's not an old Hotrod lol. Actually probably going to sell it this fall. Since I got the roadster running right, I'd rather just have the T-roadster and not neglect the Mustang. Anymore it just gets started every other week to keep things right.

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Whatever happened to salt tablets? I used to hear about people taking them all the time in the summer, especially anyone who worked outside a lot, or in a foundry, something like that. Death Valley park rangers probably popped them by the handful.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I used to drive old cars and trucks all the time in the tucson summer, no ac...no problem. then I moved to a cooler climate, got older, and more spoiled, and I don't seem to drive them like I used to.

But recently I've taken some long road trips in the summer when it's really hot out, in really crappy old cars, and I can handle it ok. But they're closed cars, not open, so no sun shining on me. I think that might make a big difference.

I guess the answer is to enjoy spring and fall as much as you can, and sit on the couch watching TV the rest of the time.

8. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

I think that's why I still have the OT Mustang. It's just a C-Code 65, but all original and a great driver.

9. Back in the day when I was much younger.I used to run a bulldozer from daylight till dark. Had a rake blade on front. Stacking and burning timber to clear land for rice production. It wasnt unbearable under the dozer canopy. However if I stepped out from under that cab the summer sun would make me wilt pretty quick. Now that im old I wouldnt attempt to operate a dozer in the hot summer. I drive a OT pickup and first thing I do is turn on the air cond. When I drove semi truck My left arm would get cooked even with the air cond on.

10. Last few weeks haven’t driven my merc with the top down, hot n humid in the mid 40’s and close to 50 ( celcius) most days.
    Top up windows down it’s a nice ride.
    Drove today around noon too damn hot top up cruising.
    And I’m only 40 !!!!!

Piss on the hot humid weather !!!

always wanted a convertable and now that I have one, while neat n all it’s a novelty

Sonofabob likes this.
  11. drive an uninsulated closed cab in the south during the summer

12. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

It's a heat index of 110 right now with 50% humidity. I could only imagine what it is in the deep south!

anthony myrick likes this.
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s why guys sell roadsters and buy coupes or sedans with AC....age just happens and we do get spoiled..

Sonofabob and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. we dream of 50% humidity days

ffr1222k, dirty old man and Sonofabob like this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Heat? ... pretty much all the time here, we are nearly a island in the ocean ... 50% humidity? ...that would be awesome, but not here. The summer months here in Florida are like the winter months for our brothers much more North, many of us just don't run around in them as much as the sun is so intense. That is another reason way most swap meets are discontinued during the summer as you can get heat stroke easily.
    Just use common sense and better judgement and enjoy what you can.

greener200, pitman and Sonofabob like this.
  16. There’s freak cold front coming through my area next Thursday - down to 98 degrees! I plan to dust off that shoebox Ford and take it out for some exercise.

winduptoy and Sonofabob like this.
  17. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Absolutely no way I could/would sell my little roadster. It was my Dads and it means a lot to myself and family. It's only going to be 90 tomorrow so will probably get it out for a cruise.

jimmy six likes this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I think about 25-30 years ago it was thought the negative side effects outweighed the benefits of salt tabs.
    Too much salt can thicken your blood and increase the chance of blood clots. Most of us here are at that age we surly don’t need those problems. Have a Gatorade.;)

loudbang and Sonofabob like this.
  19. Slopok

Slopok

I worked in a factory when I got out of high school, right next to the salt tablets was the stretcher!:eek:

bobss396 and Turnipseed like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That’s why you cruise at night ;) roadsters aren’t for everybody

Sonofabob likes this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

My coupe doesn't have AC, but it does have a roof, and insulation under the roof sheet metal. We had 95 and high humidity here today. Windows down at 65 wasn't bad, sitting stopped at the red light was a bit warm. The coupe is good up into the upper 80s, as long as its moving. But if it sits parked in the sun, the first 20 minutes is pretty rough.

I owned a convertible for about 6 months, that was long enough to say I owned one, so now I don't have to make that mistake again. I remember one nice warm sunny day cruising around in the convert, roof down, AC cranked to the max, with a big hat tied on, sweat running down my face, and I looked over at my bride with the big hat tied on, with sweat beads on her forehead, and then I began to wonder why? The convert was gone shortly after that. If you have to have the top up, or wear a big hat, maybe a ride without a roof isn't for you.

To the OP, maybe you need to add AC to the roadster... Gene

22. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

That is beautiful!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  23. Invest in a top for your roadster, it will keep you cooler, HRP

pitman likes this.
  24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Wally world has a 4 pack of these for only $8.98
    09760f2e-efeb-4b12-a908-2a7f46c75fc3_1.fcdfd95221a1796825bc1ccc2368c493.jpeg

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I was in my teens and 20's, I didn't need AC, I worked outside in the weather year round. Late 20's I got my first truck driving job, been sitting in AC in the summer and Heat in the winter ever since. Now at 61, if it get's above 80* or below 50* and my ass sits in the house. Can't take the heat or cold like I used to.

And I had a convertible once, too. About the only time I put the top down was spring or fall. I'd love to have a roadster one day, but it would be the same way, it'd sit during the hottest and coldest months, so I guess I'll just keep something I can drive year round and enjoy without baking or freezing....

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You think it's hot on the street. Go dragracing when it's 103 and put your nomex underwear on and a -20 five layer suit with a set of gloves and boots and wait for ten or twenty minutes there waiting while they run the jr dragsters. I love those kids but I hate their parents. LOL. My brother would say, not a very good light! I'd say what light?:D

loudbang likes this.
  27. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I've been a welder most of my adult life and I can't take the heat anymore. I've suffered heat exhaustion several times and heat stroke twice. (100 degrees + high humidity + coveralls and leathers + confined spaces and/or rooftops = hell on earth for this hot-blooded polar bear.)

Obviously, I've been overheated too many times and it's become a health risk to the point where I'll get physically ill if I'm too warm...

Before I became sensitive to heat, I was never a roadster or convertible fan. You guys can have them. I'll take a roof and 2x60 natural air conditioning, or windows up refrigerated "meat cooler" A/C.

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Running usually in the early morning or late evening during these 100+ index days.
    Both the pickup and coupe have tilt windshields. Both Flathead’s.
    Coupe runs at 200 and the new engine bored at .120 over hovers at 210 degrees. Am lucky the new engine behaves itself.

Sonofabob likes this.
  29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I'm 62 and have worked construction since I was 10. I dont like air condition and prefer the heat. Its 95 here and I love it, nothing hurts.. The cold really don't bother me either, I like the cold oxygen charged air in the winter. I workout on my speed bag outside when its 10, the cold makes the back really snap but the super fresh air give me a natural high..

In the summer I switch to the 160 t stat and block off the heat so only fresh air comes in.. I open the vent windows all the way to get breeze and it works. I have three fans inside the cab one that pulls, one that pushes fresh air in and one that blows against the windshield. Those radiator fans are good for that. I have them on a rheostat so I can slow them down and make them less noisy..

loudbang likes this.
  30. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I step out of my air conditioned truck and my glasses fog up cause it's so hot and then when that's not happening my glasses are fogging up from wearing a mask. It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.