Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. Yes.... we wasn’t happy with the performance of the drivetrain..looked up the engine details and it was the lowest powered 289 Ford offered..it came out, along with everything else and got rebuilt for more HP and reliability. I wanted a car I could feel comfortable going anywhere in...Front ends been rebuilt with Opentracker stuff, C4 all rebuilt..spent a lot of $$ and time..hoping it was worth it

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I got some plexi glass to make windows for the doors on the 55 wagon. Needed to move it under the canopy to get out of the blazing hot sun. So the grandsons and I got the 55 fired up. Then went out on the Highway out front did a number of burnouts and left long black marks on the highway. Filled the car up with tire smoke. The grandsons loved it. Yep they will be Deaf at a young age!

3. squirrel

squirrel

I drove a Model T to Bisbee, to look at all the late model cars.

bisbee.jpg

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

finally we get to see the T. well, sorta

WTF really, clem and Lil32 like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Finished the pitman arm for the step van power steering upgrade.
    20200715_130007.jpg

lothiandon1940, Lil32 and LAROKE like this.
  6. Not today but a couple days ago. Resized_20200707_185510.jpeg

chryslerfan55, Tim, shortypu and 5 others like this.
  7. topher5150

topher5150

8. HotRod33

HotRod33

IMG_20200714_151944.jpg . Took a drive.... Got lost in the woods...lol

chryslerfan55, Tim, OzMerc39 and 6 others like this.
  9. That Tree looks exactly like my boyhood shop. I had a chain run from the main trunk to a stout limb about ten feet from the tree. Hung a chainhoist and pulled engines. had the grease so thick the ground looked like asphalt.

10. Ford is back together less the shift boot. Changed the rear end oil, adjusted the rear brakes, greased the u-joints and front end. Put air in the tires and went for a ride. It shifts extremely well, worth the effort all week. Finished in time for the weekend.

11. topher5150

topher5150

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  12. Got the 56 wagon frame sitting on all fours, ride height looks good so far. Started marking up the fframe center line to square up the engine mounts.
    DSCF5246.JPG DSCF5250.JPG DSCF5252.JPG DSCF5251.JPG DSCF5253.JPG

13. What did I do today?....
    Sent in my registration for the Mobtown Greaseball
    Made travel plans for my Work /Bonneville trip
    Checked out the schedule for the Western Maryland streetrod roundup
    Searched the HAMB classified, FB marketplace and CL for parts
    Picked up my pads and rotors for my OT pick up (117000mi on the original rotors, figured they were due for a change)
    So basically, the usual COVID hot rod day....lol
    Chappy

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Pulled the cracked passenger side windshield out of my '39 Chev and installed the replacement. As is often the case, another poor fitting glass piece, and I had to spend time sanding down the weatherstrip rubber so it would allow the glass to even get into the opening!

[​IMG]

15. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

My 39 ford truck shift lever was worn pretty bad in the slot where the 1/4 pin goes, also the upper nub ( 2/3 gear) was worn bad in a v shape , suppose to be right at 1/2 wide was about 3/8 ( forgot to take a before pic) . I welded it and file it down ,n eeds a little bit more filing and a touch moore welding but it really took out the slop in both areas shifter would rotate about 30 or more degrees , now it probably moves 10 or so degrees.

Attached Files:

16. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Lil32

Lil32

had a service done on my 350 turbo in coupe
    told me all looks good inside for a few more years
    Noel

IMG_1002.jpg

18. BDUB77

BDUB77

[​IMG]
    Half day Friday at the local winery.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Walked by my neglected Vette 100 times while building a shop around it. Gives me something to dream about while pounding nails.
    0717201127a.jpg

20. Budget36

Budget36

It's what I'm gonna do when I get some time off from work:)

So yesterday I bought a HF pull ram...found out it would not work right with my 35 YO BlackHawk porte power. So went back to HF looking for the right pump... hmmn...99 bucks for the pump...but wait...same pump in a 99$ kit for hyd knock out punches...more tools! Yay!...

Only difference on the pump is the handle, stand alone pump had a solid handle, one in my kit is a stamped steel one.

So...gonna turn this mess into a Hydraulic stud puller...Ya, I know I could sit there and twist a 1/2 in breaker bar, but at 58 yo, I'd rather align, spin onto a stud, and pump a handle.

Updates to follow on Sunday to see where I'm going with this.

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Spent the morning fixing bad paint. But not on the body, on the front suspension! Had the line to my oil gauge pop a couple weeks ago, and made a huge mess of my freshly finished engine bay. I cleaned it pretty well, but kept finding more oil drips every couple days, so continued cleaning.
    Then a few days ago I noticed while cleaning that the paint I put on my tierod, drag link, and shocks (all the same paint brand) was gooey! It seems the paint had some reaction to either the motor oil, or the Purple Power degreaser I used to wash the oil off. I could run my fingers across these parts, and the paint was all over my hands like it was painted minutes before!
    So I removed all the parts this morning, and tried various solvents without much luck. I finally took them to me bench grinder, and used my wire wheel to strip them to bare metal. Once stripped, I put primer-sealer on the metal, and shot the parts with VHT metallic graphite mag wheel paint. Let them dry, and put everything back together.
    Funny thing is the frame was painted with Rustoleum gloss black, and it's perfect. Engine was Duplicolor red engine enamel, and it too is fine. Just the Duplicolor Chrome paint that failed.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took a bunch of ones and zeros, and used them to make a block of 6061 smaller.
    IMG_20200717_191506.jpg IMG_20200717_191520.jpg

23. WTF really

WTF really

24. topher5150

topher5150

It was getting to them that was the issue. I ended up taking the seat out so I could lay on my back to get the last two bolts that mount to the dash

High test 63 likes this.
  25. WTF really

WTF really

Whew I definitely understand that. One of my most undesirable jobs is under the dash work.

SEAAIRE354, Blues4U and High test 63 like this.
  26. High test 63

High test 63

I took the bench seat out of my t-bucket
    And put in bomber seats. I used to be able to lay on my back on the seat with my legs over the side of the body and work under the dash. It's impossible to do that now with the aluminum buckets side panels. Very very difficult to do any work under there now.

WTF really and Lil32 like this.
  27. Ordered a riv-nut tool from McMaster Carr and some blind nuts. I'm putting my shift boot and plate back in with threaded screws, sick of the self tappers.

Also getting ready to order a shifter rebuild kit fro Paul Cangalosi on eBay. May as well get the OG one fixed up. Ordered rod buttons for the shifter as well, those will go in with the rebuilt shifter.

28. Yesterday in the pouring rain I removed the seats from a econoline van and sold them. The buyer was from a distant place. And Just as we agreed on the price it started raining. Eny Road I never complain about any rain we get in July or August. van steering sector 004.JPG

chryslerfan55, stanlow69 and Lil32 like this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Walked the local old junkyard again looking for a crank pulley for my 65 Mercury and came up empty,it has to be 65 and 66 but found a 68 that was complete but would have to get everything and I did not have enough tools with me. I am just going to fire it up with just the alternator turning the water pump and deal with p/s and the a/c later.

Lil32 likes this.