Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Banjo rear end help. Axle end play.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 27sedan, Jul 15, 2020.

1. 27sedan

27sedan
    from courtenay

I have a ‘47 open diff banjo out of a pickup. Back lash and preload are good and ring and pinion are good. The problem I have is .012-.014” end play on the axle shafts when assembled. It’s not bad until cornering, then the drums rub on the backing plates. I see there is a thrust surface on the end of the axle that comes in contact with the carrier cross shaft. Could these surfaces be built up and machined? Or does one wear more than the other? Could I shim between the axle gear and the carrier to tighten it up?

Departed likes this.
  2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

They make a shim that goes on the taper of the axle, when the hubs and axles are worn the hub goes on too far. Thin shim stock cut and tapered to wrap around the axle and take up the slack so the hub doesn't go on as far. Sacramento Vintage Ford has them.

[​IMG]

ted kovacs and irishsteve like this.
  3. 27sedan

27sedan
    from courtenay

Thankyou for the reply. I have seen these mentioned before. While that would stop the drum from touching the backing plate, I don’t see how it would remove the end play. These would just move the hub out further. The play is in the carrier.

4. 27sedan

27sedan
    from courtenay

Somebody has to have been through this. Picture for attention? IMG_20200418_104512.jpeg

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

As you say, excessive end float on the axle has to be a as a result of wear somewhere in the carrier area. Either behind the axle's bevel gear, wear on the axle's or differential's planet gears or their shafts. the only way to that I can think of to be sure of exactly where the problem lies is to strip the rear end down and take a look.

27sedan likes this.
  6. 27sedan

27sedan
    from courtenay

I think that's what I will have to do. Just didn't know if there was an area that was more prone to wear. If it's the thrust surface on the end of the axle, I can build it up. If it's spider gears or cross shaft I can get new ones. If it's the carrier or axle end gear I might be screwed. Could try to find another used carrier or axles I guess.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. rusty valley

rusty valley