Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's alive!!! A 1957 Fargo Tale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Well no paint today, after looking at the crazy amount of mosquitoes flying around I decided to wait another week, until my wife is off again, and talk to a buddy with a body shop and see if I can use his booth at his industrial shop for a day to spray it, that’ll also give me time to get the hood and grill piece ready to spray at the same time.

IMG_2098.JPG IMG_2097.JPG

It’s in primer now...

The cab is roughly 80% blocked front fenders are ready to paint.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. IMG_2110.JPG

Masking the Fargo today and starting giggling....

3. Got the cab and front fenders painted
    IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2119.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG

This is right out of the gun, finished product...there will be no cutting and buffing, A) I’m lazy, B) the paint I used is Endura, it’s a polyurethane typically used for industrial equipment. It’s hard as hell. I’ve tried polishing it in the past. No fun.

I’m happy with it, not perfect but not bad for a shmuck who fumbles his way through this stuff...

4. Tomorrow will be unmasking, moving out of booth and painting the hood and grill piece. Did the white insert on the front today, need to block the hood for the last time then make them green.

5. [​IMG]

Getting unmasked, very happy with the green and white together....

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Nice colour combo! Is that a stock combination, it kind of reminds me of some of the "spring" colours Chrysler would put out.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Not a stock combo, out of my head looking at paint chips, I’ve always known this truck would be a bright green, it’s almost a pastel color in person, the white is actually cream as well, pictures don’t do it justice as far as the colors go

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  8. Hey Lane,,,,are you gonna make it like your avatar used to be on this thread .
    I always thought that was a cool avatar pic .

Tommy

loudbang likes this.
  9. That’s the goal, now that the cab forward are done I can assemble the doors etc for the last time, as well as I’ll be back on the metalwork on the box, Not sure if the flames will happen this year or not, I’ll put the truck together and see from there, maybe I’ll change my mind...

10. Oh man,,,,,,add the flames,,,,,,that pic was awesome .
    I always thought it was a real pic and not a photoshop until you told us .
    It would look fantastic like that,,,In my opinion at least !

Tommy

11. I know... honestly I’m getting burnt out on body and paint stuff...we will see

[​IMG]

@themoose nailed it alright...it’ll give me a chance to fix the scratches I know I’ll probably put in it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That paint combo is so striking I would not do flames at all. In my opinion only certain body styles look good with flames. I'm more into understated elegance. I might think hard about a bogus or real shop truck signage like, oh I don't know... something like "Three Daughters Garage" perhaps.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. Nah, no fake shop truck lettering. We will see as it comes together

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m in the no flames camp for what it’s worth :D

loudbang likes this.
  15. I do appreciate opinions. As I said I’ll decide as I put it together...right now it seems like a lot of work to do them!

chryslerfan55, Blue One and loudbang like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

My vote skip the flames and drive it for awhile before you decide. :)

fauj, Blue One and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. gene-koning

gene-koning

I painted flames on a 35 Dodge sedan I had once. It didn't take very long before I grew tired of them. Fortunately, someone bought the 35 from me so I didn't have to figure out how to remove the flames an still save the paint under them.
    Flames are a pint to pain on, and even worse to remove if you don't like them. Gene

18. Guess I've been slacking brother, not paying attention lol. That looks great ;) I'm a fan of old school paint tricks, but looking at the pictures you're showing, if i did anything on the green, it would just be bringing some of that interior color outside, maybe just some subtle pinstriping. Great job man! Looks gorgeous :cool:

19. There will be some of the interior color on the outside, the front bumper, headlight bezels and mirrors will be white and the recess across the front where the park lights are is white as well

20. @themoose was nice enough to do this photoshop for me. I think I can get a set of these off topic fenders, brand new, for cheap. What do you guys think? I like them.
    IMG_2138.JPG

loudbang, 61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Interesting.
    I’m not sure about them.

22. I’m going to stare at it awhile, I’m still working on some dodge ones if it ever dries up enough to get to, I haven’t seen the box yet but it’s free as well so maybe I’ll get lucky and the fenders are good

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  23. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I was born in your end of the world and I am not a fan of the off topic fenders. Thought you should know.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well if you don't have the Dodge fenders go for it until you do. They don't look that bad but I'm a fan of the originals. Or perhaps use both pairs... switch them back and forth from time to time or use on Chevy and one Dodge. Think of what it would do to people's minds! It might just get you out of a speed camera ticket cause you could point to the opposite side of the truck to show it , It couldn't possibly be my truck as the fenders are different, Your Honour!".

25. I appreciate the input, what fun would it be if everything was the way it came or if we all had the same taste. I’ll keep going back and forth I’m sure.

I feel like the stock ones are almost a little small on a long box, these are a little more substantial...decisions, decisions

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I went back and looked at those stock ones and they would be better if the wheels openings, and the wheels of course, were moved a little more forward.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looking at them again I don’t think I like them.
    They aren’t very complimentary to the rest of the trucks lines and style.

Don’t like the long box ? Short box conversion is possible :)

chryslerfan55, razoo lew and loudbang like this.
  28. I’m not cutting the frame at this point!

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Famous last words ? ;):D:D

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@57 Fargo I won't be much Help but I will say I like The Fleetside and The Stepside and I'm good with or without the Flames. You have several tough decisions...The silver lining is I'm good with whatever you choose...I mean it was the Dawn of the Fleetside...well sorta...Great Job your doing...;)

Great Inspirations @themoose...;)