Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front Lowering Kits for '50 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kelly Burns, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

As I’m about to embark on lowering our ’50 Ford, I was doing some recon work, I’m going to fab my own front blocks, and maybe my own rears, I was looking at the front lowering kit that Butch’s Cool Stuff sells. I noticed the kit only comes in a 2” drop for several makes, but a 2-1/2” for ’39-’48 Chevy’s. Is there a reason for only offering 2” ones? Is it because it’s an average drop and no justification for investing in casting other sizes or is there a greater reason? When I order my material (bar stock) I can get other sizes just as easily as I can 2”.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If you take a look at your lower 'A' arms, when 'dropping' the lower coil pan 2" below the 'A' arm frame, this part of your suspension becomes the lowest part of the car.
    Any more than 2" approaches collision with uneven road surface, aka 'Ride Height', or 'ground clearance'. (this is legally referred to as 'Scrub Line')
    Dropped spindles will result in similar quotient.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IIRC, Aerostar springs will drop your Shoebox 2.5-3", so that's an option if you're rebuilding the front end (or do both if you really want it slammed). Do a search, there's been some threads on the subject with good info.

Tman and Kelly Burns like this.
  4. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

@Atwater Mike, thanks. I've yet to crawl under it and look, plans are to tonight. That makes perfect sense, my mind never went to the scrub line.

Atwater Mike likes this.

5. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

@Hot Rods Ta Hell, I'm hoping for a 3"-4" drop, I'm planing doing some spring work, I was just hoping to grab as much as I could with the spacers, but now I see I'm getting 2"!

6. lowrd

lowrd

I've never dealt with them, but I think JAMCO has some pieces you might want to look at too.

7. An issue to keep in mind. When you space the spring bucket down your moving the upper A-Arm up the same amount. This causes the Top of the Spindle Support to tilt inboard. The further up you go with spacers the further in things move. Now at some point the Spindle Support needs to come back outboard to get the King Pin some where close to where it lived in stock form. You accomplish that with a Torch however you can't change the new swing arc of upper A Arm to Spindle Support. The more you increase this arc the crazzier the action at the Big Round Thing in your hands is as you travel over bumps and rises of the road. Yep, you can get used to it if you pay attention.

8. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Just got off the phone with Shoebox Central, they are strongly against the use of the lowering blocks.

guthriesmith and warhorseracing like this.
  9. No doubt about that. So what did they recommend?

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm saving my pennies for Shoebox Central's front drop kit. Spindles (uprights), and their camber correction pieces for the upper a-arms. I have a new-in-box set of Moog Aerostar springs that'll go in, too. Right now I have cut Aerostar coils and it rides like crap but sits great!

11. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

12. If you lower the rear much more than 2" you will have to deflate the tires to put them on or take them off. Plan to carry a floor jack and a compressor with you in case you have a flat.

13. There is an option. Narrow your rear Axle 2" per side and run a deep reversed wheel. Tire and wheel nearly fall's out of the wheel house.
    nikki.jpg

jakesbackyard, Chavezk21 and Tman like this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

unnamed.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Kelly Burns likes this.
  15. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

As far as spacers go, not using any at all. As far as lowering the car, using his 2" dropped kit. A totally respectable suggestion.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  16. Resized_20200529_142739.jpeg
    Aerostar front coils & 3" lowering blocks rear.
    I have 14" rims on now, have 15" rims that will eventually be used.

flatheadpete likes this.
  17. I installed 1" lowering spacers in my 51', ended up removing them, the lower A-arm was setting just to low. But I also had cut Granada coil springs which made it even lower. I ended up with just the cut coil springs, it dropped it a lot, I was happy with it so I left it! I cut 2 rounds out of the Granada springs.

18. tim troutman

tim troutman

25 years ago I have put the butches style blocks in a 50 ford with results I felt were good . Not long ago I made some blocks for my 55 bird. started with 2 inch material when I set the car on the ground way to low. front tire were kicked in hard at the top looked like it dropped the car about four inches .I tried to cut them in half with a band saw. they were not super straight had a buddy mill them down strait. ended with about 3/4 inch. I do not know how but it seems it lowered the car close to 2 inches. took it to get aligned didn't need anything 0715202023.jpg

19. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Its interesting you say that, I read somewhere in another post yesterday, maybe by @Pist-n-Broke , that the measured height at the fender was greater that the spacer height. I posted a reply as to what I have done so far in the link below, and its a pretty good thread, not necessarily my post. I'm using 1" x 1/4"w square tubing to fab my spacers.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lower-a-1950-ford.49132/page-2

20. Village Idiots 032.jpg I used Aerostar springs on the one I had. Sat perfect and rode great. It had bags on it when I got it, but, not a fan of bags. Then I used Chevy S10 springs, cut two coils, but it was too stiff. So I went with the Aerostar springs. Easy install, no cutting no modifying, besides shorter shocks.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    flatheadpete likes this.
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The net vehicle drop will be more than the front spacer height. 1" lower control blocks will actually net you about 2" drop. The reason why is because the blocks are lowering the coil spring pocket, effectively 'decompressing' the coil springs. Once the spacers are installed and the weight of the car is back on the suspension, the coil springs will be less compressed, pose less resistance and effectively lower the car. The plus is that the ride will be better than cut coils.

The " 2 inch drop" spacer kit is not actually comprised of 2" thick spacers, as it would be with 2" rear leaf blocks or 2" dropped spindles (spindle built 2" higher than stock).

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  22. Crayons

Crayons

I made 1" spacers between my lower "A" arm and spring perch along with cut coils on my 54 Merc. Had 5/8" clearance between lower "A"arm and frame. Drove to Paso Robles (2000 miles round trip ) banging on nearly every crack in the road ! Got home, ripped out the lowering blocks and replaced springs with Arostar ones. ...haven't looked back.

23. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

@Hot Rods Ta Hell thanks for the information/knowledge! With that and my guestimate, I will be lowering it in the 4" to 5" range, which I feel our car sits high to begin with, so I may have it right where we want it. "If" I have to get new springs for the front, it won't be the end of the world.

@Crayons how much did you cut your coils, just curious, I know its not an apple to apple comparison. I don't know if you saw, but I wacked mine 1-1/2 coils.

Capture.JPG

24. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Front is done, turned out to be right around 4-1/2"

Where is everyone getting their lowering blocks?

front.jpg

25. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

Can anyone tell me what size locating pin for the axle pad is? Thank you!