Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flarhead question.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by allanjon, Jul 11, 2020.

1. allanjon

allanjon

Wenr out to purchase a flathead motor and transmission today, when I got there there was a area for a crank handle, on the crankshaft, an "A" on the head with small ford script. The head has center cooling tubes. Also transmission bellhousing is built into the block. They did not have crank handle to turn over.
    Can anyone tell me what year, and what horsepower this has. Also what is best yeat or model for 39 Ford coupe. Thanks Al

2. Well, 39 would be the best year for a 39 coupe ;)

some one smarter then me will chime in on the flathead stuff !

LOU WELLS and MO54Frank like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Any big numbers on the bellhousing? The heads don't mean much because they could have been changed easily. I know the nut for the handcrank could be at least 1940, but maybe later as well. And this could have been changed too.

Some pics would probably be easy for us to get answers for you.

Personally I think 1939 is the best year for a 1939 Ford, and the coupe is my favorite coupe from that year.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. How many stud did the heads have?

5. allanjon

allanjon

24 studs

6. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

With a 24 stud block and the bell housing attached to the block that would make it somewhere between late 1938 and 1947.

Horsepower varies increasing as you move towards the later years 85 - 100 depending on what you read.

clem and flatford39 like this.
  7. allanjon

allanjon

Ok, so to do a basic test, to turn over I will need a crank for the front and remove spark plugs and put oil in cylinders. Do the seals and gaskets go to heck from non running and need rebuild?

8. dwollam

dwollam

A on heads is 39-41. But heads would fit 42-48 as well but why would they do that? Probably stocker 221.

Dave

9. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, if it’s a crack free block.

10. allanjon

allanjon

I had a 39 engine in it, it had 8AB on heads what would that have been?

11. 8BA is the later 1949 - up motor......pictures....we love pictures !!!!

12. alchemy

alchemy

As an example of the switchability of flathead stuff, I recently purchased a 1948 era 59A flathead with all 8BA parts on the outside and inside. I've got no reason why it was done, but it basically all just bolts on.

13. rusty valley

rusty valley

so, you for sure have a pre 49, non 8ba block if it has the half bell on the back. as stated above^^^ any thing bolts on, but some changes must be made. the main difference in the heads is compression ratio. if you had an engine with 8ba heads, and a pre 49 half bell, some one did that to get the front water outlets vs the center outlets of 32-48. they some times do that to get better hose alignment,as in, a 32-36 which had front of the head pumps, and a nearly vertical outlet on the original radiator, and nearly vertical hoses. in your case, to go in a 39 that radiator is set up for center of the head outlets. some folks that put the later 49 & up 8ba motor in will switch to the 59ab center outlet heads for higher compression, and hose alignment, but there is some tricks to that. a couple water holes get plugged, and the oil port to the water pumps, sorry, no detail here, i've not done it, i am a 59ab kinda guy

14. allanjon

allanjon

I went and purchased a 9AB, do to the fact it turned over and was complete, do you use T5 or C4 trannies in these, which would be the cheapest conversion?

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

i use the ford 3 speed it came with

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

By far the cheapest transmission option is the ‘39 top shift 3 speed.
    If you still have the rear wishbone and buggy spring this by far is the most trouble free transmission option.

17. Unfortunately, once again, advice is being sought in an information vacuum.:rolleyes:

clem and warhorseracing like this.