Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Sportsman 2 heads on a street 350?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flipper, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Anybody have any experience using these heads on a street motor? It is my understanding that they are mostly used on dirt track cars. I am a little concerned that the motor will be lazy down low with the 200 cc intake runners,

Any camshaft recommendations for a 350 with flat tops? The truck is a 48 chevy and has a turbo 350 trans, 2500 stall converter, 3.70 gears in the rear. rpm intake, carb can be a 650 or 750 cfm edelbrock (I have both)

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Flipper ........ I have them on my Coupe's 355 seen in my avitar. I built this engine 27 years ago with those heads.
    I cleaned up the ports and valve pockets this last time around. I've had 3 or 4 different cam grinds in it over the years, and this last time I called my friends at Bullet Cams and gave them all the engine specs, converter, gears, tires, etc. and had them build a custom hyd. roller for it and man I'm so glad I did, it runs awesome.
    I highly recommend calling them so the heads work where you want it to.

Flipper likes this.
  3. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

They'll run far better than any GM head, bolt them on and go.

Devin

Flipper likes this.
  4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

These are the first aftermarket heads I have ever bought

5. Retrorod

Retrorod

Just don't get carried away with big 'ol stiff valve springs.

bobss396 likes this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Don't listen to info like this.
    If you buy a smaller cam, buy the springs that...go with the cam.
    If you buy a big ground pounding cam, then YES, buy the "big" springs that...go with the cam.

The heads that you have are a little more race oriented, it will mostly depend on the way that you drive the truck. Will it be towing ? Will it just be a putt around town vehicle ? Will it be a midnight street racer ?
    - Build the engine (that is...use the parts) applicable for what the engine/truck will be doing...RIGHT..!

Mike

pitman and indyjps like this.
  7. Retrorod

Retrorod

That is what I meant! Match the parts correctly. I wasn't born yesterday.

8. indyjps

indyjps

They are very good heads, 200cc runner has the potential to breathe big on a 350. With the rest of your set up Im guessing your cam is probably in the 465-480 lift range.
    May lose some low end, 3.70 gear will help keep it in the powerband. Your build sounds like a fun driver, not something you're trying to squeek every ounce of HP out of.
    The heads could take more cam, rpm and converter if you want to step it up later.

These are better than almost any sbc factory head. If you wanted more low end velocity, vortecs would give that, requires changing intake as well. Mixed Opinions (range from 465 to 480 lift) without modifying vortecs.

I see no reason to change these heads out.

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I filled out the form on Bullet cams. I will see what they recommend.

Out of curiosity, what cams have you ran? and what was your opinion of each? How much did it cost to go hydraulic roller? were you still running an early block?

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you think the 200’s are too big consider the EQ 350 H I believe. They are 185 and fairly priced. We’ve run World, Dart, RHS, and EQ on our dirt track engines and each has it’s benefits especially when it comes to cubic inches and compression ratio. Since we are restricted to iron and a lot of times availability trying different heads has become normal. The EQ’s came off the corners on a 1/2 mile track the best and as figured just out of pull at the end of the straights. We had our head guy install 202’s instead of the 194’s and picked that up. They did run out of air when we went over 372”. World, Dart, and RHS over 200 did not. 230’s were too big and killed the corners, may have been better with 430+ inches.. .. good luck.

11. Dyce

Dyce

I don't worry about runner or valve size on heads. Just opening up runners with a mild cam can add a lot of streetable horsepower and torque. I compare the 396 with 1.72 and 2.06 valves to a 400 small block with close to the same bore and stroke, but The 396 will make more torque and hp. The rocker ratio and port volume are the main difference. The 350 is no different.

12. pitman

pitman

Helpful info here, thanks track guys! BTW, the 650 will give good overall response, the 750 feeds top end nicely. All depends...

13. I'm running Dart 180 heads on the street and they are great, the 200 should be pretty good too. I run a Lunati Voodoo flat tappet cam and it has great street manners, a 268/276 grind, .489/.504 lift.

14. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

EngineQuest(EQ) 350H is a 176cc intake port volume, 64cc chamber, 1.94" intake valve. Early style intake pattern and ports, perimeter valve cover pattern, Vortec combustion chamber

All of the EQ heads are between 170cc(305 engine replacements) and 176 or 178cc (350 engine replacements) with the one exception being the new EQ-CC200BA which is a 200cc intake port, 64cc chamber, angle spark plug performance head.

bobss396 likes this.
  15. I have run those heads on two different street motors...one in a Chevelle 350 that ran 12.40’s street tires and mufflers that had a .520ish lift Schneider solid cam and lots of other parts to go with it and a daily driver pu that had a 350 with a Crane Cams .470 lift hydraulic. The Chevelle was a good overall combination and the pu could have likely ran as good with some other lower performance heads. But, they were reasonably priced when I bought them and worked fine in both. I just wish I wouldn’t have sold the set I had on the pu a few back since I could use them on a motor I am building now...