Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 ford deluxe header

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by twostickmutt, Jun 6, 2020.

1. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

I have a 39 ford deluxe coupe with a 327 chev and power glide in it. I want to put headers on it but want a more or less bolt and go header, with steering and frame clearance. does any header company make such a thing or is there modifications needed. I have the stock front axle and steering box. thanks for any input.

2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If you don’t mind cast iron manifolds thy early 65 Chevelle manifolds they clear the steering box and look like were made for the swap. 99E9B560-8118-4337-BF6E-E731992600B5.jpeg

chop job, twostickmutt and CME1 like this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sanderson makes a set that fit--the drivers side turns forward a bit at collector

twostickmutt and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

thanks I-shot. that's what i have on there now but been thinking of using headers

5. I used block hugger headers on my '39 Deluxe (283 4dpd) it required a bit of persuasion on the drivers side to fit.
    Can't help with the brand, they came with a '48 Chev p/u I bought (they weren't installed on the p/u just came with it).

twostickmutt likes this.
  6. You won't find any 'specific' headers for early engine swaps as there's too much variation in how they're done and what other parts may be present such as steering boxes, etc. At least that was the answer I got when I asked a header rep about it....

twostickmutt likes this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sanderson CC-4 have used many sets on 40 Coupes with 327's axle car steering box in stock location. Just looked at folder of last build-also had em coated black instead of silver.

8. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

If @olscrounger tells you something will work in a '39 or '40 Ford, you can bet it'll work considering how many he's had a hand in putting together!

9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

10. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

thanks for all the help everyone !

11. VintageJosh

VintageJosh
    from Mass

What motor mounts are you guys using with the Sandersons? Any clearance issues? I've got a stock axle, steering box and currently doing a swap from a tired 265 to a 350. I don't think the 350 will care for the 265 manifold obviously. If it comes down to it I might try the 65 Chevelle if the wallet overrules.

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Use CE motor mounts-sanderson mentioned clear just fine-done many

lothiandon1940 and Russco like this.
  13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

14. 6sally6

6sally6

I just wonder.....................If the manifolds from a 65 Chevelle works, what about a set of headers FOR a 65 Chevelle???! Prolly got a set at Advance Auto and they have a great return policy.
    Jus say'in
    6sally6

15. As olscrounger mentioned, CE engine mounts.
    This is a picture of my '41 P/U (350/350) stock steering box, I'm currently building with a generic set of Block Hugger Headers bought off of e-Bay, no modifications needed.
    Exhaust routing is a bit tricky on the drivers side, but doable.
    The p/u shares the same frame as your '39.
    IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3600.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    47ragtop likes this.
  16. Graybeard4545

Graybeard4545
    from Maryland

I just put a SBC in my 40 standard. I used a Hurst style motor mount and Hooker block huggers, stock steering box and it fit well. Plumbing down and around the steering and starter is needed but not bad if you can weld. I used a Summit 2.25 universal exhaust kit with some pieces left over. Your steering is the tricky part as I am using the stock wish bone, take in a count for travel. Jack it up on the axle and check clearance and then jack the frame up letting wheels down, to check as well.
    Hope this helps,
    Graybeard