Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I LIKE IT!!! I am a paint guy ,but the amount of time I would put into doing something similar would be astronomical. And with this if it gets scratched up somehow, it's peel and stick not a three day drunk!;) Looks killer! Larry

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20200705_194942.jpeg

Dad and his pride and joy. Lol

I need to get that thing mounted but I can't get it ouf if hands long enough. He was watching TV with it last night. It has become the son he never had! LMAO.

But it sure looks good!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. j hansen

j hansen

If you and your dad get tired of cars,,maybe you can start with gardening? 85158905_537079253680563_3831944081752195072_n.jpg

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well some bummer news this morning. I am sure it is making its way around the HAMB. The 2020 HAMB Drags has been cancelled. I understand it and I am sure it was a crazy hard decision to have to make. I donated my registration fee to the track which I think was a really cool thing for Ryan to offer to do.

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That reminded me of a truck my friend had, he call his “ Poison Okie” lol. Thanks for reminding me!

Bones

7. It's "Good Randall" LOL

Nostrebor, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Quiet Randall" anyway! LOL

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

He should be, the grill really turned out nice and I'm betting a lot of people would say that wouldn't be that hard to do, they would be wrong.
    You see a lot of cars with sheet mesh grills, looks lame and lazy to me, shows you two went the extra mile.

10. Awesome build, @Deuced Up! :cool:

I really like the way you've guided us through your *thought process* (including the dead-ends) before getting to the final solutions.
    That insight is useful in *all* our builds, even Stingrays and XKEs. ;)

11. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a pain in the backside. There is a thread here on the HAMB about egg crate grills. That is what fired me off in the first place. I knew way early in the build, to look the part, it was going to have to have one. There are few places out there that will build you one but it was going to cost nearly $2k. I may be crazy, but I am not stupid. Not to mention my motto: "It can't be that hard, I have seen the people that do it!" LOL

And to be honest, everything was fine until Dad decided it had to have a ring around it. I was perfectly happy with my oversized egg crate grid that would just fit inside and up against the opening. It is amazing how much the opening changes (as far as size) in just one inch. But it was substantial. Therein lies the problem, the front of the outer ring had to be larger than the back (if that makes sense).

His first two were very nice one dimensional rings. If it fit the back of the opening, when put it in place the front had a huge gap all the way around and vice versa. We finally started with a ring that fit the back of the opening and then Dad heated and beat on the corner areas to get them sort of chamfered out for lack of a better term. When it finally fit, then, as I said before we had to cut down my egg crate to actually fit inside it etc. etc. etc. But you are right, it was a pain!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  12. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The grill looks outstanding and your dad should be proud of it. And the white with gold stripes looks great!

loudbang, Deuced Up! and Thor1 like this.
  13. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is cool little touch that photographers may discover about the Dragsnake...

20200706_171052.jpeg

If you use a flash, even in daylight, the snake's eyes light up!

20200706_171040.jpeg

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

666_da011f1beff2fd8d6043131d7165c4c5d7a8bde4.jpg
    They ain't got no lit up snake eyes!

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know right...worth at least 2.5 million dollars more and know glowing eyes. I think I would just send it back...lmao!

One cool fact though about the 5 original small block and 1 original big block Dragon Snakes...all of them are still around!

kidcampbell71, Sancho, Offset and 3 others like this.
  17. oldolds

oldolds

If your pop needs a new challenge he could build a set of side curtains for your car. Like the Peffley car in the above picture.

18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I step away from the internet for a few days, and you guys go plaid!

All that planning and hard work... there it sits! Great job.

19. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

[QUOTE="DDDenny,
    You see a lot of cars with sheet mesh grills, looks lame and lazy to me, shows you two went the extra mile.
    [/QUOTE]

They went an extra mile and a half, seems like there is never enough details to perfect, every time I think it's about done they do something else that blows me away. Same thing on his last build.

20. chryslerfan55, Gammz, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You boys are going to think I am crazy but I think we are going to change the graphics on the Cobra. I know, I know, they have only been on there 2 stinking days! Don't get me wrong, I love the stripes, they are exactly what I was looking for and I simply could not have done any better or expected any more than they delivered.

That being said, there is something about the graphics on the side that I am simply not happy with. At first I thought maybe it was the placement. It is pretty hard to step back and get a good perspective in a smaller shop like mine. And since the car was on stands, we didn't have the option of rolling it out and having a look see before we installed them.

20200705_212722.jpg
    First off the entire graphic is too low. It is absolutely centered in the car top to bottom but because of the big soft rolling top body line, it makes it appear to low. Again something you have to see, not measure. AND after it is all said and done, I do not like the snake up there. For one while it is a killer cool graphic (if I say so myself) LOL...in my opinion it simply does not appear as "Old School" as the letters and the gold leaf etc.

CobraFinal.jpg
    In retrospect, this is what I should have done. Make the Dragsnake graphic just a bit larger to fill the space and put the "Snake on wheels" by itself on the rear quarter. I mean that is where all the original Dragon Snake's Cobra on Wheels were placed. I think I simply got caught up in the whole idea of not separating the Snake and the Text. I mean from the beginning they have been together. And when it said COBRA on the side and DRAGSNAKE on the rear quarter with the Snake on Wheels, there was no issue.

YOU KNOW WHO I BLAME...JAMES! LMAO. He is the one who said move the Dragsnake to the door! LOL.....but he was right, I think I just moved too much of it forward! But that is an easy fix.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I like what you have on it now, well that is if it's still on it.

23. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. The larger Dragonsnake on the door with the snake on the rear quarter looks better and more 1960s.

Thor1, loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  24. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Second one much better! (if that is even possable) Gary:cool:

25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I like the new one a bit better myself.
    Something I have been wondering though; most of the time I've seen Holman & Moody stuff it usually is followed by "Ford".

Not saying this because I'm a Ford guy, but since it really is powered by a Ford engine I would kinda expect it to be on there somewhere.

I might even move the Dragsnake logo a bit further forward.

Carry on!

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

With the big DragSnake it looks to much like a billboard.

27. loudbang

loudbang

Viewing from the slight angle in the photos personally I would scale down the Snake just a tad. :)

28. oldolds

oldolds

I would let it go right now. Get that thing on the road! If you blow up the engine or do something that causes some down time then change it. That way you have a way of dating pictures.

29. i did the same thing on my 65 dodge. i put on the lettering then stood back for a look. i knew i didnt like it and it was all on the floor in minutes. be careful it doesnt pull paint with it. ask me how i know.

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That vet didn't have a cross flag on the rear quarter. ;)

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.