Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Drums

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by LBCD, Jan 25, 2019.

1. LBCD

LBCD

Great looking kit and I bet it sounds as good as it looks!! Is your bottom hi hat smaller in diameter?

bowie likes this.
  2. LBCD

LBCD

I don’t like the bass drum spurs...too modern for the cloud badge. I think I’ll fab an adapter plate to mount the old school Gull wing brackets on there. Ordering new heads soon.

Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete, Runnin shine and bowie like this.
  3. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, currently a 14” paper thin early 50’s A top with a 13” Paiste bottom. Have this kit tuned real low, for a deep rock sound (garage band style). Usually I have this one tuned a bit higher and use a 10 lug wood Ludwig snare with it. My shaky’64 Acro has just the right “ring” for the sound I was after. As good as those spurs on your Slingerland work, I agree , the old style has it in the visual department. It’s a good looking kit!

LBCD likes this.
  4. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks B! So you contact the hi hat from the top of the cymbal and not the side? The half inch hang over would probably be susceptible to cracking...I’ve never seen that before you are a true pioneer!!!

bowie likes this.
  5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the 70’s as a teen, I could never have gotten away with it! But yeah I’ve come to playing it off the top. Hat is 3” above snare rim, a lot of doubles and tripplets. Great for detail on jazzed P&W songs. Not a real hard hitter, these days , mostly 8dn Firth. As a kid , I could break a couple of 2b’s or a cymbal at a one night gig LOL; haven’t done either in over 4 decades.

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A relic from my rock band days, cracked this one back about 1974: 1CD282B4-534E-454B-865B-B6AB5C7D01B2.jpeg 6D889144-EB78-458C-947D-782014854BB3.jpeg

Okie Pete, Kan Kustom and LBCD like this.
  7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just thought about it, I not the pioneer...Max Roach is. The 14”over 13” hats was his innovation, I just borrowed it.

LBCD likes this.
  8. LBCD

LBCD

Cut 1/2” inlays into my Slingerland hoops then glued in vintage WMP strips for more of a vintage feel.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real nice work! Looks factory.

LBCD likes this.
  10. bamawildcat

bamawildcat

Here I though I would be looking at brake drums. :D

LBCD likes this.
  11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I look at the thread often and today for the first time in years I looked in a closet for my old Slingerland Blue Sparkle Gene Krupa kit which I have not used in many years.

I purchased this kit in the early 60's when I started playing with a band doing dances and rock & roll shows and even weddings to pay the bills back in those day's.
    I was 12 years old when I started playing and doing the rock & roll shows started when I was 14 years old and the other guy's who were older and had a drivers license would load up my kit in there car and transport everything to different shows for me.
    I was living with my mother and she never learned to drive and my father had passed away so moving the kit was always a problem for me.

My other drum kit is a Mapex Venus Series set that I play and practice on every few day's.
    The Mapex kit really has a great sound to it and once I added Iron Cobra petals it became ever better.

One day I will take the old Slingerland Kit and take some pictures to post here.

Jimbo

quick85, Kan Kustom, LBCD and 2 others like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@LBCD , love the hoop post. I have to finish the maple hoops I’ve started for the 17” tenor to kick conversion. I have the correct Delmar sparkle inlay to put in the channel once routered out. Almost have the 12” sanded enough to wrap. Gonna try to safely remove grommet through badge to reuse. I always see them destroyed. I haven’t did much to snare yet for it’s re-wrap.
    This thread is helping push me. A ton of my drum projects are interfering with my hot rod space and progress.
    Thanks
    IMG_0616.JPG

Okie Pete, bowie and LBCD like this.
  13. LBCD

LBCD

I Look forward to seeing your Luddy's come together!

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Me too! So I can back to finishing the reworking of all these marching shells. Lots of parts collecting and switching around. I spent just shy of 400 getting all the same badges that came on the 1920s 15” to become a floor Tom. I cut up a couple 14x10s to make a matching 6” snare and the cool maple one in the last pic that I’m almost done with maple lugs for is 7.5” deep now. The bass is 14x25.5 so I have to stretch calf skin for it. Running the light bulb in it too.
    IMG_7408.JPG
    IMG_8597.JPG
    IMG_8601.JPG

Okie Pete, LBCD and bowie like this.
  15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Justa bump...anything new happening out there? A61A4AF2-6545-4AFF-B978-B3C8615E1A04.jpeg

16. LBCD

LBCD

Im building a Slingerland tribute/clone using aged marine pearl and Slingerland Lugs. The shell is maple/mahogany/walnut from Infinity Drumworks.

Adjustments.JPG 33192F5C-4110-4038-A302-5F2E8AC63DE9.jpg Adjustments.JPG

17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6.5”x 14”? Lookn’ good!

18. LBCD

LBCD

bowie likes this.
  19. LBCD

LBCD

Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG C3A1AAA3-CCD5-4B08-A3D7-874842311F34.jpg

Not sure what edges to put on it. Possibly a 30* round over.

Okie Pete, bowie and Runnin shine like this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

@LBCD for that warm vintage attack I say yes.
    And something about that beautiful dark wood and grain would have me flipping that thing over to check the snares if it had a clear reso.

bowie and LBCD like this.
  21. LBCD

LBCD

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

My set is the same as yours. Got them in 1965. Would be cool to see them when you get a chance to post pictures.

bowie and LBCD like this.
  23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Anyone having withdrawals from not playing your drums through these shutdowns ? I have not been playing for quite awhile now and don't know when things will start up again. Didn't think it would bother me this much but I guess when it's in our DNA its forever there.

bowie, LBCD and quick85 like this.
  24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Sit down behind your kit and play along to "Wipeout" a coupe of times, get the blood flowing.
    Maybe some Sandy Nelson too.

LBCD and 37hotrod like this.
  25. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have played wipeout so many times I think I do it unconsciously in my sleep. I'm sure I'm like all of you here. I can't count the number of times that I would play a solo that took everything I had in me and someone would come up to me and ask me to play wipeout ???

quick85 likes this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That’s when you slow it down with some Green Onions. “It ain’t got a thing if ain’t got that swing”

bowie and Kan Kustom like this.
  27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was able to play my longstanding Sunday gig yesterday...although we are doing it outside for the time being... CE244288-E180-4FA7-95F8-D9402AF68072.jpeg 0DF44CAE-0336-400F-BF40-D9B0696B9354.jpeg

28. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I've got these for sale in the classifieds but I don't know what they are. anyone know?
    do they go with a drum set?

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  29. LBCD

LBCD

They are temple blocks possibly Asian but they could be Ludwig, Leedy, Slingerland... I can ask on a vintage drum forum and see who knows anything about them. Is there any other markings on them? Made in (carved out) Japan, USA, China or Korea?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Okie Pete, Kan Kustom and bowie like this.
  30. LBCD

LBCD

A screen shot from a guy who answered my question on temple blocks. Could be any company...

Adjustments.JPG

Okie Pete, Kan Kustom and bowie like this.